I'm now back to the Bold 9000 and I miss this phone so damn much.

I originally sold my 9000 when the 9700 came out, then I picked up the Torch on release day. The torch is a great device, but the slider just wasn't for me.

I just sold my torch so I can get a 9780, but in the meantime I'm using a friend's old Bold 9000 and I couldn't be happier. I always believed that the 9000 was the best BB form factor ever, its just too bad that they never updated it.

Which is why I'm glad the Dakota will be using the same form when it comes out.

Anyways, I know this was a pointless thread. I just posted this because my gf is spending 3 hours getting ready for her friend bday and I'm just burning some crackberry forum time.
    01-29-11 10:43 PM
    I had 9000 for 2 years and I bought 9780.
    Now I came back to 9000 and selling 9780.
    Keyboard and screen are too small. Very inconvenient.
    Best phone will be 9000 + 512RAM + 5MP camera + trackpad.
    01-30-11 06:35 AM
    I had 9000 for 2 years and I bought 9780.
    Now I came back to 9000 and selling 9780.
    Keyboard and screen are too small. Very inconvenient.
    Best phone will be 9000 + 512RAM + 5MP camera + trackpad.
    Dakota!
    768MB RAM + everything you said + non-dominant touchscreen.
    02-07-11 11:22 PM
    I've just done exactly the same thing. My 9700 is in the drawer and, after a trackball replacement (the old one was a bit slippy), I am loving the 9000 again. I certainly will be upgrading to the Dakota, but it's the 9000 for me until the then.
    02-08-11 07:09 AM
    Same here guys, happy to see that this phone is loved all over the world (i'm from Italy). I had 9700 for about six months, sold and now i came back to the 9000. Best keyboard, the real BlackBerry!
    02-08-11 07:35 AM
    The 9000 form factor was a real wonder. Mine lives these days in a drawer as a backup to the Torch. The combination of touchscreen and keyboard works very well for me. Now if a new device with 9000 form factor, touch screen, and keyboard were to come along I might reconsider and get a new phone. Until then the Torch does just what I need and the 9000 stays in the drawer a bit longer.
    02-08-11 08:11 AM
    The 9000 is has the best keyboard hands down. But the trackpad and low memory were enough to make me sell it within a month and get the 9780.

While the keyboard is smaller on the 9780, the higher memory, better screen resolution, and 5 MP camera, make it a much better device. Once you get used to the keyboard it is ok, way better than the Torch keyboard by all means
    02-09-11 10:03 AM
    The 9000 is has the best keyboard hands down. But the trackpad and low memory were enough to make me sell it within a month and get the 9780.

While the keyboard is smaller on the 9780, the higher memory, better screen resolution, and 5 MP camera, make it a much better device. Once you get used to the keyboard it is ok, way better than the Torch keyboard by all means
    Size matters! I use 3 apps, never use camera. For me the most important are: big screen, big qwerty, big sound. Looking forward to use Dakota (hope touchscreen can be switched off). Sold my 9780, bye bye double click!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-11 10:15 AM
    I just switched from a Samsung Galaxy S back to my old 9000. I just needed my device to work and not be held back by my carrier's guidelines on data usage.

Android was so buggy and I always had to clear my memory on a constant basis. Even if I had so much, there would be so much **** going on in the background with these apps, I would just get frustrated. I only want things open if I used them and not even running when I don't. Plus I missed the keyboard more than I thought. My phone is not in the greatest condition (mute button died, 6th trackball + dome) but god does it look great.
    02-09-11 10:58 AM
    I used the 9000 for 2 years, then when my wife upgraded from the 9700 to the 9800, I took her 9700.. A couple of weeks ago I decided to try the 9000 again and just couldn't get over how much bigger it seemed - almost too big.. that and the memory drain, battery drain, etc. was enough for me to go back to the 9700...

Now if they could just come out with a touch-screen 9700 form factor that would be the ultimate.
    02-10-11 01:47 PM
    I tried a Palm Pre Plus for 3 days, and while I got to learn it eventually & have to admit it certainly has a certain "slickness" to it--and I feel like I'm giving the middle finger to all the iSheep out there, being different using webOS (which actually seems like a great OS), I just felt more comfortable with my Bold. The only real advantage the Pre offered me was the more realistic, and really most of the time Opera Mini on the Bold was fine.

Maybe many think the Blackberry way is too "MS-DOS"-ish with the keyboard shortcuts way of working (I started to detail them, but it made the post messy), but I learn those things quickly--and I don't forget them, and once you know them, it's a fast way of operating.

In fact, most other things--to me anyway--the Bold actually did many things better. To wit:

(1) Google Maps--it's very stripped on the Pre. No favorites, no search history, no ability to search to a specific point you scroll to on the map. And with the Bold, you really get used to the keyboard shortcuts and fly--press 0 to go to My Location, * to access favorites, # to toggle text-map directions

Other apps supposedly improved on this, but I could never get them working right, one supposedly worked if you "homebrewed" it or something--too much trouble

(2) Browser--yes it looked slick, but it had fewer features. No find in page, no open a link in the list in new tab (there is new card, but that doesn't work for opening a list of items), no scroll-bar on the side to show you how long the page is. And as slick as it is swiping to scroll, I missed being able to simply use the numeric keys and the space bar to scroll.

(3) Keyboard--the Pre's keyboard is better than I thought, but it's still no match for the Bold's. I can fly on the Bold's with ease.

I only paid $80 for my Bold 9000 in October of 2009 on Craiglist, a steal, and like others said the Dakota is my likely upgrade path (although I've PONDERED the Torch 9800).

LRH
    02-12-11 08:30 PM
    For me, the Bold 9000 may be one of the best, if not the best RIM's creation ever. Thanks for the Dakota update. That's what I have been waiting for. Same form factor plus better memory and the trackpad...I'll take that phone in a heartbeat over the high-end phones of other brands.
    02-16-11 12:15 AM
    Dakota is Similar to 9000, It's smaller in size?
    Everything is the same except for the Trackball becomes Trackpad?
    768MB of ram is quite amazing, Its faster than my desktop
    9000 is too slow, It's sad because RIM never gives it an Update

Thanks to RIM that Dakota will be preloaded with OS 6.1!
    I'll get one if people say it's good, I must wait for peoples opinion
    don't buy it and sell it a day after because you don't like it
    Last edited by Tecklop; 02-16-11 at 12:22 AM.
    02-16-11 12:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD