so i was at my friends house not paying any attention to my phone all night when i finally looked at it and it said battery drained, turning off handheld so i went and charged it and almost immediately after taking it off the charger it died again. this started about a week ago. so i did some research and didnt get a solid solution. i tried restoring my phone, updating my phone, and i even put my friends battery (he has the same exact phone as me) in my phone and it still was drained, plus my battery worked in his phone.. i was wondering if anyone had any solutions
    01-29-11 03:05 PM
    I bought another battery, I guess to have it in case something important.....I don't know what's the problem cause my drains fairly quickly also!
    01-29-11 03:10 PM
    i mean i used my battery in my friends phone and it worked fine.. and my battery dies like 10 minutes after i take it off the charger
    01-29-11 03:16 PM
    Sometimes super fast draining of the battery can be directly related to a signal issue, but ten minutes seems incredibly fast to drain a battery.
    01-29-11 08:31 PM
    I would clean the internal contacts with rubbing alcohol.

Also maybe a software wipe and reload.
    01-29-11 08:32 PM
    ya i tried doing a software wipe but it didnt help and maybe i over exaggerated 10 minutes it might be like 2 hours lol but still waay too fast.. how do you clean the internal contacts?
    01-29-11 08:55 PM
    You might have a bad battery. I gave my brother my old 8310 a year ago and now he said it wouldn't hold a charge for a day. A fresh new one might do the trick. But before you do that check what apps you have running. Press and hold ALT and press the back key. Close all apps you have running. Remember that hitting the back key doesn't close the app. You would have to press then BB key and go down to close to actually close the app properly. You should have only 5 running since you can't close them. Leaving apps running always leads to the battery draining really fast.
    01-30-11 02:30 PM
    Take a clean pencil eraser and wipe the battery contacts and internal contacts with it and then wipe with a paper towel. Also get a light and/or magnifying glass and check the pins in the USB connection. Sometimes they pop out of their channels and might be causing a short or something.

Have you tested your battery in your friend's BB for a long length of time to make sure it doesn't drain in his also? Running a lithium-ion battery all the way out is the most damaging thing you can do to them...
    01-30-11 03:46 PM
    i know its not the battery cause my battery did work in his phone and his battery didnt work in my phone.i took an eraser to the battery contacts like you said im not sure if i did it correctly but i tried.. and in the usb connection everything seemed to be fine
    Last edited by juice94box; 01-31-11 at 05:34 PM.
    01-31-11 05:29 PM
    Is it hardware side contacts on phone side (not on battery?)
    02-03-11 12:01 AM
    From doing a Google search on the problem of a phone battery dying suddenly, stupidly and senselessly, I observe that the Blackberry organization has inexplicably and inexcusably ignored this very crucial but irritating problem, choosing, instead, to keep their heads buried in the sand.

Loyal Blackberry users like me should NOT be subject to manufacturing incompetence or having our problems ignored by those who should provide the highest standards of corporate performance.

If I don't read an actual and REAL solution from BLACKBERRY (other than the kind but perennial "buy a new battery" from other helpful users for what is essentially my brand new phone), I will not only stop using this line of phones but I will actively dissuade ANYBODY I know from using them.

It is unacceptable for me and other people to purchase blackberry phones that purport to be 'smart' and find them acting dumb by making me loose the ability to communicate with people after merely 2 - 3 hours of doing VERY LITTLE. It actually displays the message "battery drained, shutting down handheld" when I have 60% (yes SIXTY PERCENT) charge displayed.

Please if there is ANYBODY who has an actual SOLUTION (not involving "buying a new battery" - which I have done twice now), I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you.
    05-11-12 08:28 PM
    Are you still using the 8320 you had in August 2008? Is the battery in the phone the same battery that came with it? If so, you seem to have an unrealistic expectation of the chargeable life of your battery. I don't mean you can charge it for 8 hours and get only 20 minutes of use, I mean the amount of times the battery has been drained and charged (cycles, if you will.)

Batteries will, with age, lose their ability to hold a charge. While you won't like this response and blame RIM and swear off the company, you likely won't see much difference with mobile device or any other rechargeable battery (even car batteries).

TL;DR - You need a new battery.
    05-11-12 09:28 PM
    Sometimes super fast draining of the battery can be directly related to a signal issue, but ten minutes seems incredibly fast to drain a battery.
    I agree with you.

I tried any os version and... hybrid say good long life battery, but in fact if signal not good is make battery low so fast
    05-13-12 09:15 PM
    Are you still using the 8320 you had in August 2008? Is the battery in the phone the same battery that came with it? If so, you seem to have an unrealistic expectation of the chargeable life of your battery. I don't mean you can charge it for 8 hours and get only 20 minutes of use, I mean the amount of times the battery has been drained and charged (cycles, if you will.)

Batteries will, with age, lose their ability to hold a charge. While you won't like this response and blame RIM and swear off the company, you likely won't see much difference with mobile device or any other rechargeable battery (even car batteries).

TL;DR - You need a new battery.
    Hello Mr. Monty,

I no longer use that Curve. I have used a couple of blackberries since I registered on this website. The phone I'm referring to currently is a Bold 9780 which I've used for about one year. You might agree then that it is fair to expect that in one year, the battery will be able to retain a useful charge.

Be that as it may, in searching for a solution, I observed that the problem recurred in many instances and NOBODY from Blackberry EVER proposed a solution.

Oh, by the way, I am using the SECOND new battery, with NO improvement. AND I did NOT update/change any of the software on the phone or add any new applications.

It appears to be a BLACKBERRY fault and if the honchos at RIM seek to be competitive, they should stop chasing shadows and make phones that we can actually RELY on.

Users need an answer from RIM that actually SOLVES this problem.
    Last edited by eezeebee; 05-16-12 at 05:31 AM.
    05-16-12 04:09 AM
    my phone is doing this exact same thing. At 60% it will power off but then sometimes if I power it off and take out the battery then re-power on, it works. Extremely frustrating - and it's only a year old. I'm ditching it for an android I think.
    11-30-12 02:31 PM
    mine does this too like it will be fully charged but it will like pop up as battery drained shuting down handheld and then when u plug it in its still like fully charged. i think its the phone not the battery bc i tried my sisters battery in mine and it did the same but mine worked in hers so i think its the actual phone so im just going to send my phone in
    01-04-13 03:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD