I recently left Verizon to join my family on AT&T and I sold my Verizon phone on eBay for roughly $300. The buyer claimed the package was empty and showed me pics of the empty box (which still proves nothing as he could have easily removed the items).

Anyway my line is already disconnected with Verizon but I want to blacklist the stolen phone so the thief can't use it. It's either the buyer or someone in the postal service.

However I just spoke with a Verizon rep and they said once the line is disconnected they can't make any changes to the phone? WHAT DO I DO? Someone is out there with my stolen phone and accessories. I at least dont want them to be able to use the phone because they dont deserve it.

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 10:08 AM
    Was there a shipping weight on the package you sent? If so, you can dispute what the buyer claimed. Like if it weighed 2 pounds, then the box obviously wasn't empty as the buyer claimed.

Unfortunately, Verizon is correct, they can't do anything for you...
    01-28-11 11:09 AM
    You need to contact him and tell him you are reporting the case. Interstate theft is a federal offense. He may have stolen it seeing as how he took a picture of an empty box, but he didn't complain that much, so he's prolly trying to swindle you

UPS or whomever should have tracking on the item, as well as the weight of the package

01-28-11 02:18 PM
    Did the package require a signature or was there insurance?
    01-28-11 03:38 PM
    Hopefully you shipped it insured. If they had to sign for it, even better.

The best thing to do is to report it to UPS (or whatever shipping company you used). They should at least be able to verify that there was weight to the package when it went into their system.
    01-28-11 03:55 PM
    I'm pretty sure that anything shipped via UPS is insured for up to $100 (and you can obviously buy more insurance). So if you shipped it via UPS, it may be possible to make a claim for $100.

But, as someone who sells on ebay, if I were you I would put this on the buyer. Either he is trying to scam you or it's up to him to file a claim with UPS (or whoever you shipped with). You've done your job as the seller. Plus, most of the time on ebay the buyer can buy shipping insurance. So if it wasn't insured, that could be the buyer's fault as well.
    01-28-11 04:40 PM
    I did insure the phone for $300 before I sold it but I didn't require a signature (big mistake). He said he already contacted his post office about it. I got a claim form from my post office buy it says I can't file for the claim until 18 days past the shipping date. The buyer is impatient and wants me to refund him as soon as possible. I don't want to refund him until I'm sure I will receive the money I insured the phone for.

The buyer has 100% positive feedback (27 ratings) but I still can't trust him because he might have the phone for all I know. He says he's going to file a dispute with PayPal. I contacted PayPal and they sided with me on this.

This really sucks that there's no way for Verizon to track the phone.

01-28-11 04:55 PM
    Of course PayPal sided with you, and of course he's being impatient. Everything you said indicates to me that he's trying to screw you. Plus taking a picture of an empty box? Anyone in their right mind wouldn't even waste their time with that, because it proves nothing. He's trying to pressure you and confuse you by rushing the whole process.

Go through the proper channels, and this will end with you still possessing the money you are due.
    01-28-11 06:42 PM
    If paypal sided with you, you're golden. Stick to your guns! Paypal doesn't side with sellers unless they are 110% sure the seller is right.

01-28-11 08:26 PM
    I did insure the phone for $300 before I sold it but I didn't require a signature (big mistake). He said he already contacted his post office about it. I got a claim form from my post office buy it says I can't file for the claim until 18 days past the shipping date. The buyer is impatient and wants me to refund him as soon as possible. I don't want to refund him until I'm sure I will receive the money I insured the phone for.

The buyer has 100% positive feedback (27 ratings) but I still can't trust him because he might have the phone for all I know. He says he's going to file a dispute with PayPal. I contacted PayPal and they sided with me on this.

This really sucks that there's no way for Verizon to track the phone.

What did they tell you when you called to place the phone on the lost/stolen list? Even though you do not have the account they will still be able to add the ESN to the lost/stolen list.
    01-29-11 12:54 AM
    I'm with others here. You did your job so wait for the shipper to do theirs. He can be as impatient as he wants but you have proof that you fulfilled your end of the transaction. Make sure you document any correspondence you have with this person. I sell alot of my product online and a paper trail is a must. No phone calls and no text messages. Everything must be emailed.
    01-29-11 07:18 PM
    I recently left Verizon to join my family on AT&T and I sold my Verizon phone on eBay for roughly $300. The buyer claimed the package was empty and showed me pics of the empty box (which still proves nothing as he could have easily removed the items).

Anyway my line is already disconnected with Verizon but I want to blacklist the stolen phone so the thief can't use it. It's either the buyer or someone in the postal service.

However I just spoke with a Verizon rep and they said once the line is disconnected they can't make any changes to the phone? WHAT DO I DO? Someone is out there with my stolen phone and accessories. I at least dont want them to be able to use the phone because they dont deserve it.

Thx

yes i had this happen to me. I won the CrackBerry Million Members Contest and got a BlackBerry Bold. However, when it arrived the box was empty. So i called Kevin and we just had to get BlackBerry to send a new one because the claims service with UPS was eternal. Poor Kevin just told me we had to give up The person even stole my CrackBerry stickers, I WANTED THOSE~
    01-29-11 09:41 PM
    You know the PIN. Hopefully you have the ESN recorded somewhere. Let the recipient know you will report the phone stolen and that the PIN and ESN will get reported and locked so that it can never be used again.
    01-31-11 07:32 AM
    You did your part. You sent the phone. I wouldnt worry too much about it past that.
    01-31-11 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD