So, I have now had 6, yes, count them 6, Samsung Captivates. I love the screen size, camera, memory, battery life & all the features. BUT I've had so many problems with the phone it's NOT even funny! I get tons of dropped calls, it wont connect to my wifi at home, I don't get my emails all the time, my apps lock up my phone, phone powers off on it's own, it makes calls on it's own & so many more issues. So now, At&t has offered me to switch to another make & model phone. Only problem is, I don't know what phone to switch to. They offered me an HTC aria or a Sony Experia x10. I don't want either because I feel like I'd be making a HUGE down grade. I explained how I felt & they said I can pick my own phone with the exception of the Iphone & the Palm pre plus. So far, I'm in between the Blackberry torch or the HTC Surround. I love the hardware on HTC phones! But, I miss the Email client for Blackberry. I don't know much about windows 7 & I tried the Torch for 1 day & returned it because I felt like there were too many options & the call quality was god awful! I'd wait for a 4g phone to come out in hopes that warranty would allow me to switch, but I'm not sure if I can hold out because of all the issues I'm having with my Captivate.

So, I guess what I'm asking is....
    If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
    Would you get a Blackberry? Would you get the Surround? Or would you hold out in hopes of getting a 4g phone?
    01-26-11 01:24 AM
    My boss has a Captivate and it is a good device. My wife has a Fascinate and I know another coworker with an Epic, all Samsung Galaxy S devices.

Have you tried doing Factory Data Resets? Are you moving the same sd card from one device to all the replacement devices? If so, that may be causing your problems. The card could have corrupted data on it causing problems.
    01-26-11 01:33 AM
    I've done a hard reset, soft rest, master reset. I've torn out the OS & placed it back in. I've rooted an old phone & upgraded to 2.2. I've deleted all past files from the SD card & backed up all the Apps on my desk top. I've done so much trouble shooting on all 6 phones it's just not even funny. The phone I have now came from warranty & it came with 2.2/froyo installed. they said I must have rooted the phone & installed it because they said they check all the phones. But I spoke with someone that said they didn't believe they actually check all the phones. So I was able to get At&t to agree to getting me a new make & model. I just don't know what to get.
    01-26-11 01:55 AM
    I personally like android a lot. I would not switch to anything else because the other two android devices are downgrades. I'm sorry you are having so many issues. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-11 03:52 AM
    I noticed you said you've deleted all the old files from the SD card..but are you still using an old SD card? Because as was mentioned..if something on it is corrupt the card itself (and not the files) could be the cause of some of your issues. Especially considering you've gone thru 6 phones..all with the same issue. Smells like somethings bad and is continually carrying over onto new phones.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 01-26-11 at 07:22 AM.
    01-26-11 07:19 AM
    So, I have now had 6, yes, count them 6, Samsung Captivates. I love the screen size, camera, memory, battery life & all the features. BUT I've had so many problems with the phone it's NOT even funny! I get tons of dropped calls, it wont connect to my wifi at home, I don't get my emails all the time, my apps lock up my phone, phone powers off on it's own, it makes calls on it's own & so many more issues. So now, At&t has offered me to switch to another make & model phone. Only problem is, I don't know what phone to switch to. They offered me an HTC aria or a Sony Experia x10. I don't want either because I feel like I'd be making a HUGE down grade. I explained how I felt & they said I can pick my own phone with the exception of the Iphone & the Palm pre plus. So far, I'm in between the Blackberry torch or the HTC Surround. I love the hardware on HTC phones! But, I miss the Email client for Blackberry. I don't know much about windows 7 & I tried the Torch for 1 day & returned it because I felt like there were too many options & the call quality was god awful! I'd wait for a 4g phone to come out in hopes that warranty would allow me to switch, but I'm not sure if I can hold out because of all the issues I'm having with my Captivate.

So, I guess what I'm asking is....
    If you were in my shoes, what would you do?
    Would you get a Blackberry? Would you get the Surround? Or would you hold out in hopes of getting a 4g phone?
    If it were me, I would change devices. I love the sgs series, but lets face it, data connection issues are not foreign subject matter. After about 3, I would begin to want change. HTC has some real nice options on that carrier. They are my second fav manufacture, and I would get an extended battery with any HTC device. While I doubt the SD card is the issue (it has zero effect on data) you could always boot the phone without it in and see I suppose lol.
    01-26-11 08:34 AM
    Like Johnly, I am a fan of HTC products. I know you would like it so go for it.
    01-26-11 12:30 PM
    Hi, been there, done that. Mine stopped glitching on the third device. Captivate is great phone when it doesn't do all of the stuff you described. The weirdest part in my case was that only when I got the refurbished device did all my problems stop. There is a lemon law on these devices, you should be able to request a different device from your carrier.
    01-26-11 03:29 PM
    Well, I went to at&TS device support center because they sent me an HTC surround that didn't come with the box & all accessories. So today warranty offered me 5 phones & the only phone that was a smartphone was the HTC aria.I couldn't believe they offered me the Samsung solstice as a replacement! I almost list it so the manager was able to find a blackberry torch in the warranty inventory & he had no idea why it wasn't offered to me. So he put in the order & I should have my torch by Friday. I live the captivate when it works right but 6. Phones with all the same problems? Screw it I gotta move on.

01-26-11 05:44 PM
    I am really sorry that you are stuck with torch now. I guess any phone is better than a buggy one. I am waiting for atrix
    01-26-11 09:19 PM
    Samsung, I tell ya...

Seriously though, Pixel, that is why I sometimes don't fuss about refurbs. A lot of times, they may not have the issues that fresh devices do.
    01-27-11 07:39 AM
    Samsung, I tell ya...

Seriously though, Pixel, that is why I sometimes don't fuss about refurbs. A lot of times, they may not have the issues that fresh devices do.
    I know, right? When they told me that I was getting a refurb i was , but when it arrived, looking all brand-new and no glitches in sight, i was and

You just never know.
    01-27-11 08:53 AM
    Usually a refurb is of the highest quality. I look at it as if they have "fixed the glitches" and it should be better than new. At lest, that is my limited experience.
    01-27-11 03:12 PM
    Usually a refurb is of the highest quality. I look at it as if they have "fixed the glitches" and it should be better than new. At lest, that is my limited experience.
    I have had Blackberry and Apple refurbs and they were always better than new.
    01-27-11 05:07 PM
    I'm gonna go to Dallas to visit at&t's warehouse so I can punch someone in the head!
    The phone didn't come with all the accessories & it has water damage!!!!!!

Now, I have a glitchie captivate & a water damaged torch.
    I think I'm gonna get the HTC inspire from Amazon for $100 next month. This is ridiculous!!!

01-27-11 11:25 PM
    I'm gonna go to Dallas to visit at&t's warehouse so I can punch someone in the head!
    The phone didn't come with all the accessories & it has water damage!!!!!!

Now, I have a glitchie captivate & a water damaged torch.
    I think I'm gonna get the HTC inspire from Amazon for $100 next month. This is ridiculous!!!

Wow. I would be dropping ATT faster than you could blink. That's crazy ridiculous.
    01-28-11 10:32 AM
    I agree & I almost did till a store manager decided to hook me up! I'm not even close to being able to get an upgrade. He said if I hold out & deal with my captivate he'll let me get any of the new 4g phones at the the full discounted 2 year price. So I have to decide between the atrix or the Samsung 4g phone, I forgot the name.

So that made me feel better.

01-28-11 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD