Hello fellow bb users. My wife who has had the 19.99 blackberry plan since the 8100 came out, is considering switching to an android device.

After browsing the web and the forums here, it seems possible to keep the 19.99 rate, but I wanted to know if it was going to be a matter of getting the right rep, or if it's staight forward. Also, would she be able to switch back and forth after between android and bb after the plan change?

Thanks for any help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 09:14 PM
    No switching between the two with phones. BB and android are different.

Android plan for $20 is called PREFERRED android. It is given to customers who have been with tmobile awhile
    Last edited by SandAngel; 01-26-11 at 03:43 PM.
    01-26-11 07:01 AM
    @SandAngel, thank you.

01-26-11 07:10 AM
    No switching between the two with phones phones. BB and android are different.
    SandAngel is correct. However, you can switch between equal priced services online and go back and forth between BB and Android (I've done it quite a few times -- always come back to my 9700, but then someone shows me something cool on their Android and I switch back for a few days until I get irritated and come back). It's a pain in the neck, since when you switch back to Blackberry you have to set up your email accounts on BIS again, but it can be done.
    01-26-11 03:12 PM
    SandAngel is correct. However, you can switch between equal priced services online and go back and forth between BB and Android (I've done it quite a few times -- always come back to my 9700, but then someone shows me something cool on their Android and I switch back for a few days until I get irritated and come back). It's a pain in the neck, since when you switch back to Blackberry you have to set up your email accounts on BIS again, but it can be done.
    Thanks for the info. Good to know.

01-26-11 03:38 PM

I would never take the chance that I would be able to switch back and forth.

Both these $20 plans are offered as a courtesy nowadays . They could stop offing it tomorrow or next week for all we know and then you will be stuck paying regular pricing if you decide to switch back
    01-26-11 03:50 PM
    Thanks again.

01-26-11 11:52 PM
    Quick update:

I called TMobile to see about switching my wife's plan. I asked for retentions/cancellations and spoke to a friendly rep who in the end couldn't help me.

I asked to switch to the $20 android plan as the pan she was currently on was the 19.99. BB plan. He said he want aware of such a plan, then he looked up some promotions and saw a $20 dollar data plan but it was part of a voice txt combo that was 60 bucks. My wife currently pays 63 not including tax for 300 txt 1500 anytime mins and 20 bb. So the proposed promotion isn't really worth it at all.

Is it possible to just swap data plans, and if so, how?

01-28-11 06:56 PM
    You need to ask for PREFERRED android plan. Some agents really just have no clue about the preferred plans. I would call back again and this time ask for retentions. Just be very nice and explain you are only calling retentions because the agent wasn't sure how to find it and suggested you call retentions. Just be very pleasant and explain right off the bat on your first breath that you don't want to cancel but were asked to ask them in that department.

Beong honest right away gets you way farther then being aggressive .
    01-29-11 08:10 PM
    Thanks for your guidance. In fact when I called yesterday, I was straightforward about calling retentions so that I could speak with someone who could help me. The key is to say preferred. I will try again.

01-30-11 12:18 PM
    I agree. Be pleasant. Explain the situation. I just switched mine last week from BlackBerry data (20 preferred plan) to Android data (also 20 preferred plan) You may see prorated amounts on your bill that equal slightly more than 20. Mine were 18 for the BB data and 3 for the Android.
    01-31-11 06:59 AM
    I got my Android plan when I got the G2. I said I didn't want to upgrade unless I had the $20 plan. The rep told me sure.

Once you get the preferred plan, you can switch back and forth pretty easily.

01-31-11 10:30 AM
    I got my Android plan when I got the G2. I said I didn't want to upgrade unless I had the $20 plan. The rep told me sure.

Once you get the preferred plan, you can switch back and forth pretty easily.

Aren't you worried one day whenyou try switching back, they will say NOPE SORRY, we don't have that anymore.
    Kind of like trying to get the $2.99 internet nowadays. I'm preferred and grandfathered but they sure as heck aren't going to give it to me
    01-31-11 08:39 PM
    Aren't you worried one day whenyou try switching back, they will say NOPE SORRY, we don't have that anymore.
    Kind of like trying to get the $2.99 internet nowadays. I'm preferred and grandfathered but they sure as heck aren't going to give it to me
    Well, I don't see myself switching back to Blackberry at all (Sorry BB!) haha.
    I absolutely love Android and I don't see myself going with anything else. Even if I did, (not a BB) then it would still work on my Android plan. I know that.

But anyway, if I did want to, I don't see why not. It's not like I'm asking for a whole different plan. I already have the $20 Android plan. All I am basically asking for is the same plan I already have but with different provisioning (Blackberry). I think that would be very easy to get, versus trying to get a 2.99 plan which I don't have.
    02-01-11 11:42 PM
    Well, I don't see myself switching back to Blackberry at all (Sorry BB!) haha.
    I absolutely love Android and I don't see myself going with anything else. Even if I did, (not a BB) then it would still work on my Android plan. I know that.

But anyway, if I did want to, I don't see why not. It's not like I'm asking for a whole different plan. I already have the $20 Android plan. All I am basically asking for is the same plan I already have but with different provisioning (Blackberry). I think that would be very easy to get, versus trying to get a 2.99 plan which I don't have.

I'm chicken
    02-03-11 06:07 PM
    Ah, you're missing out SandAngel. Android is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
    Plus, you can keep your Wi-Fi calling and get free min using the Wifi calling app on Android.
    02-03-11 08:41 PM
    Ah, you're missing out SandAngel. Android is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
    Plus, you can keep your Wi-Fi calling and get free min using the Wifi calling app on Android.

LOL i already get free wifi minutes and free regular minutes but I don't think I could give up my regular push email
    I know I can do the whole email thing with android but there is nothing like the blackberry push. Of course I'm always looking for a deal!
    02-04-11 06:33 AM
    Android has push email if you use Gmail. All the other accounts can be refreshed at set intervals.

But yeah, if you use Gmail, Android is GREAT for that. I get my college email on it nicely too.
    02-04-11 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD