It's no secret that I've been drooling over the unattainble on VZW Blackberry Torch since the first moment I set eyes on it. I still think it's a great looking phone but right now it seems to be an advantage to me that I wasn't able to run right out and buy it.

I found a few posts which talked about the difference between the horizontal & vertical sliders and about touch screen vs slider keyboards. Someone mentioned that although w/their Storm they had the option of screen typing both directions they found they usually flipped the phone horizontal especially for longer emails etc. For some reason this really jumped out at me when I realized "so do I."

So, I went to our Walmart cell phone department and grabbed a Torch and tried typing on the slider keyboard - I couldn't try the screen touch because none of thes phones are able to be turned on. I was stunned at how hard you have to push the keys and how awkward typing was on it! Now, maybe it wouldn't be necessary to push so hard on the keys if the phone were on, I dunno but I did find I actually had to use my thumbnails because the keys were so small and close together and I could tell from this that I'd be doing a lot of backspacing to fix typos because of this. I also noted that at least on this demo phone ... there were a lot of letters already partially worn off the keyboard which made me wonder how long it would take to happen on a well used phone?

Hmmm ... do I *really* want a phone that's going to annoy and frustrate me?

Then I grabbed a few of the horizontal slider phones (couldn't tell you which one it was - didn't really matter) and tried their keyboards and ooooooooh what a nice difference.

I've been keeping an eye on the Androids with sliders - so far none of them excite me so I'm hanging onto my Storm1 and going to try to make a chance to do some test typing on an Android screen to see the difference between it and my Storm. I have heard a lot about how the touch screen on the Storm1 is pretty awful when compared to newer phones (no matter what the phone or OS) but I don't know *how* it's different cuz I haven't made the opportunity to try. None of the phones at our local store are live I'll have to hit a corporate store for that which is like 40mi away. I really think in the end I will want a physical slider keyboard but I'm keeping an open mind on that, too.

Why am I sharing this? For others who are lusting after a Torch ... might want to think about your own phone use habits before spending the money ... on any phone really. A phone should not only do what you need and want it to do, it should also be comfortable for you to do what you do on it.

I'd also like to thank the people who shared their comments on the horizontal vs vertical. For some reason your comments really made me think and you probably saved me a lot of frustration and money as well.
    01-24-11 04:41 AM
    I was kinda attracted by the thought of a CDMA Torch as well, if anything, for the extra screen real-estate. I've played with a couple of them, and the keyboard, while acceptable, is fairly cramped, as you noted. Then I get this Style and the keyboard is just so roomy that I love it more each passing day. I'll have this til at least the end of the year, and see where things go from here. I'm glad I passed on the 9650, TBH.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 05:31 AM
    I use a Samsung Captivate and a Torch side by side daily. Honestly, after years of iPhones, and now the androids, it was nice to go back to that physical keyboard.

Also, I've found you don't really have to push the buttons that hard. They respond easily to a gentle touch.

I enjoy my Captivate for it's media capabilities, but Ive just never liked the touch-screen keyboard.

As for the rest of the Torch, I've been very impressed. It's a very high build quality, and is very simple to live with daily.

One thing I will warn you about Android, they are glitchy as ****E! I've worked in IT for years, and this thing tests my patience. I've rooted it and taken care of some of the issues, but that isn't a process for the average user. Signal is also a major concern, as they drop a lot more calls due to poorly written radio driver.
    Last edited by Nophix; 01-24-11 at 06:43 AM.
    01-24-11 06:41 AM
    IF landscape keyboards are what you are after, then yes the Torch isn't for you, and you should be looking at Windows 7, and Android Based phones.
    The Torch keyboard is very easy to use, I suspect literal sticky fingers played with your walmart torch to make the buttons harder to depress.

the screen keyboard is crap, IMO, but no more crappy than the iOS screen keyboard, I think all are crap so I am not a fair person to give judgment

I think form factor first, that is what helps drive my phone choices, and if Landscape typing is what you want and you predominately are a 2 hand phone user you've got a lot of Android choices to check out.
    01-24-11 07:03 AM
    The keyboard on these Torchs isn't hard at all to use. The only time I have trouble is when I soft reset the phone. You will not have to use your fingure nails to type with I promise. There's not many folks with bigger hands than mine. I wear a 13 1/2 wedding ring. The only time the slider is uncomfertble for me is when I'm laying down. I don't know why.

01-24-11 07:14 AM
    The fake demo phone probably had a fake keyboard in it, which would cause it to be difficult. I've experienced that with other phones. Its stupid that they do that, as it will turn people off immediately.

The only thing I didn't really care for with the Torch was the slider. It requires two hands to open and close unless you have sticky fingers. They should have put some grip bumps on it or something...lol. That's what I always liked about flip phones...it was easy to pop then open with one finger.

01-24-11 07:59 AM
    IF landscape keyboards are what you are after, then yes the Torch isn't for you, and you should be looking at Windows 7, and Android Based phones.
    The Torch keyboard is very easy to use, I suspect literal sticky fingers played with your walmart torch to make the buttons harder to depress.

the screen keyboard is crap, IMO, but no more crappy than the iOS screen keyboard, I think all are crap so I am not a fair person to give judgment

I think form factor first, that is what helps drive my phone choices, and if Landscape typing is what you want and you predominately are a 2 hand phone user you've got a lot of Android choices to check out.
    The iOS keyboard is better than RIM's touchscreen keyboards, but that is less of an issue with the Torch since it's not a huge phone and it has a good slider keyboard (which has many advantages over a touchscreen keyboard in BBOS).

I don't touch any of the phones in Wal-Mart. I don't think those things are ever sanitized.
    01-24-11 12:20 PM
    The iOS keyboard is better than RIM's touchscreen keyboards, but that is less of an issue with the Torch since it's not a huge phone and it has a good slider keyboard (which has many advantages over a touchscreen keyboard in BBOS).

I don't touch any of the phones in Wal-Mart. I don't think those things are ever sanitized.
    owning both an iOS device and a Torch I can say I dislike both equally and neither has anything over the other.
    01-24-11 12:30 PM
    I really like my horizontal slider Droid 2. I use the touch screen for quick replies but always seem to fall back to the physical keyboard to hammer out longer replies. Some of you have seen how long winded I can get here. Every post I've made here since September has been made on my Droid 2.

I have had to reboot this device far less than I did my Tour. I'm not so sure I would refer to Andoid. OS as glitchy. Sure, there are issues here and there, but BB sure can't claim to be completely glitch-free either. Nothing made by humans can though.

I tried a Torch in the store and it wasn't activated but they did power it up. I wasn't fond of the vertical slider.

By the way, OP, one of the big differences between the Storm screen and other devices is the Storm has that goofy clicky touch screen and the "normal" devices don't have that, which IMO is good, because I wouldn't want a screen that clicks.
    01-24-11 01:50 PM
    IMO the keyboard on the Torch is definitely not as nice to type on compared to the non-slide out BB phones. Also I found the phone not as intuitive because I'm so use to the short cut keys on Blackberry's that I was sliding the keypad out constantly.
    01-24-11 03:09 PM
    I had BB for a very long time and now I have the HTC Incredible. I love the touchscreen on it. I didn't like the Storm's screen.......there is a huge diff between the two of them for sure. BB is still a decent platform, but I am very pleased with the change from the Bold 9650. Unless BB makes a better touchscreen and you had said you were checking out Android......the Incredible is great !
    01-24-11 03:22 PM
    One thing I will warn you about Android, they are glitchy as ****E! I've worked in IT for years, and this thing tests my patience. I've rooted it and taken care of some of the issues, but that isn't a process for the average user. Signal is also a major concern, as they drop a lot more calls due to poorly written radio driver.
    Please do not label Android glitchy as whole when you are using a Samsung device that is known for it's bugs and terrible device/upgrade support. NONE of my Android devices are glitchy at all. Please do not spread false information, thanks.
    01-24-11 03:30 PM
    I really like my horizontal slider Droid 2. I use the touch screen for quick replies but always seem to fall back to the physical keyboard to hammer out longer replies. Some of you have seen how long winded I can get here. Every post I've made here since September has been made on my Droid 2.

I have had to reboot this device far less than I did my Tour. I'm not so sure I would refer to Andoid. OS as glitchy. Sure, there are issues here and there, but BB sure can't claim to be completely glitch-free either. Nothing made by humans can though.

I tried a Torch in the store and it wasn't activated but they did power it up. I wasn't fond of the vertical slider.

By the way, OP, one of the big differences between the Storm screen and other devices is the Storm has that goofy clicky touch screen and the "normal" devices don't have that, which IMO is good, because I wouldn't want a screen that clicks.
    We use our phones very simular judgeing by comments you've made here and there. I too use the virtual for short typeing and physical for well write a book lol. Yea I think I would have rathered the Torch to be a horizonial slider. As long as it was as good a keyboard as they put out.
    I don't reboot my Torch cause I have to cause I'm deleteing history of it. I hate having history on file. Go to search something and have to wade thru a bunch of webpages history. So my device doesn't get a chance to lag. I would love to find a way to remove all history with rebooting so I could test to see just how long I could go without rebooting.

01-24-11 04:28 PM
    I agree with whomever commented that form factor is something to consider first. I'm SO happy the Torch is a portrait slider because I hate horizontal sliders and there just aren't many portrait sliders out there. It's my preferred form factor. Before the Torch, the Pre was about my best option (nice OS, but horrible battery life and I didn't like its keyboard).

I find the Torch keyboard easy to use. Took less than a week to adjust from my Curve 8310. Having a larger screen than, say, a Bold, makes a nice difference, too.
    01-24-11 05:07 PM
    Hi, Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in too.
    I've used a few torch bbs and Have not been overly impressed.
    I find the touch screen lags on them (and the ones I have played with have minimal apps and themes etc.)
    01-24-11 06:23 PM
    I'll throw in 2 cents - only one mention of "calls" in this thread. Do we still need to refer to these things as phones??
    01-24-11 11:39 PM
    Dude, what's this "calls" thing of which you speak?
    01-25-11 03:57 AM
    Hi, Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in too.
    I've used a few torch bbs and Have not been overly impressed.
    I find the touch screen lags on them (and the ones I have played with have minimal apps and themes etc.)
    What's a minimal amount of apps? Themes I will agree with, but my Torch came with all kinds of apps wich I deleted most of them. I've yet to have my touch screen to lag yet.

01-25-11 06:00 AM
    Mine was tied up in knots tonight at a local wi-fi hotspot. I turned the mobile network off and worked from wi-fi only and the phone behaved pretty abnormally. I put the mobile network back on and it perked up again but it didn't really start behaving properly until I pulled out of that wi-fi connection.

P.S. Minimal apps = the data sucking Weatherbug I suppose
    01-25-11 11:07 PM
    Dude, what's this "calls" thing of which you speak?
    I hear ya...
    01-25-11 11:10 PM
    LOL. I do use my Torch for calls. It's my only personal phone and is used for work, too (clients never think to call me at my office). I like the call quality of the Torch, and Blackberries in general. It is a major factor for me, as was battery life.
    01-26-11 12:07 AM
    Mine was tied up in knots tonight at a local wi-fi hotspot. I turned the mobile network off and worked from wi-fi only and the phone behaved pretty abnormally. I put the mobile network back on and it perked up again but it didn't really start behaving properly until I pulled out of that wi-fi connection.

P.S. Minimal apps = the data sucking Weatherbug I suppose
    I'm not sure what's going on here. Might it be the carrier's service? I'm just not sure what your saying. At one point I thought you was saying it was the hot spot but you turned of mobile service. You turned service back on and ya picked up. The fact you didn't get back to normal until you left the hot spot has thrown me for a loop. I can take this that the wifi interfered w/ your mobile data service.

01-26-11 09:11 AM
    LOL. I do use my Torch for calls. It's my only personal phone and is used for work, too (clients never think to call me at my office). I like the call quality of the Torch, and Blackberries in general. It is a major factor for me, as was battery life.
    Bingo! Call quality is superb on BBs. Nokia phones too, in general, but not as good. I was comparing my E63 to a Curve 8520 and there was a clear distinction in voice quality.
    01-26-11 09:48 AM
    When I messed around on a Torch, felt like it wasn't laid out as well as my 9700 and I so want a BB Touch with the great keyboard, which wasn't on the Torch...keys felt like I was pressing them into a brick wall is the best description I can give.

Did like the TS part and seemed smooth and worked well, much better than the Storm series. Still wasn't feeling the TS keyboard, never cared for it on my S1 either, sure press or capcative, don't seem to matter to me...Only TS keyboard I found I did pretty good on was the Droid X. Due to my big fingers I imagine.

I am sure it is all about getting used to, but I am also more a Horizontal Physical Keyboard phone until the Dakota comes to reality! My ultimate BB!

01-26-11 11:18 AM
    rethinking the torch dream usually happens about the time your hand enters your purse to pull your credit card out.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 01-26-11 at 04:45 PM.
    01-26-11 11:49 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD