"Research In Motion aims to keep its dominance of the corporate smartphone market by enabling the BlackBerry to segregate a user's personal data from work-related emails and other applications sponsored by employers."

What does everyone think? Below is the link to the full article.

BlackBerry program may help RIM defend its turf | Technology | Reuters
    01-23-11 07:43 PM
    The problem is that RIM has to deliver Hardware with and OS that people will want to use as their consumer device. The article states that part of the reason for doing this is because IT departments are allowing personal phones to be used, and those users are bringing in Apple and Android as their consumer device of choice. So if RIM can deliver a great device that the consumer market loves and can separate out the corporate part, great and this will work. Otherwise this feature alone will not stop people from wanting their iOS and Android devices for corporate stuff.
    01-23-11 08:14 PM
    The problem is that RIM has to deliver Hardware with and OS that people will want to use as their consumer device. The article states that part of the reason for doing this is because IT departments are allowing personal phones to be used, and those users are bringing in Apple and Android as their consumer device of choice. So if RIM can deliver a great device that the consumer market loves and can separate out the corporate part, great and this will work. Otherwise this feature alone will not stop people from wanting their iOS and Android devices for corporate stuff.
    I agree. But contrary to what some people on this forum believe, RIM is not standing still, and they will have some fantastic consumer oriented phones when QNX/dual core phones become available. with this feature in place it will be nice to only have to carry one phone.
    I think it's a great idea, not just for now, but shows RIM is looking ahead.
    01-23-11 08:24 PM
    This is a bad move on RIMs part. This just further alienates clients.
    01-23-11 08:31 PM
    They announced this a while ago. As the platform progresses it will become more important as some users have no control over the device which leads to some of the distaste of using it.

But with the ability to have their own personal apps and information on it without any user liability, it will eliminate the desire of carrying two phones for some employees.

Having it on the PlayBook is very interesting as well. Especially once they get the wide-area radio versions out.
    Last edited by WillieLee; 01-23-11 at 10:00 PM.
    01-23-11 09:43 PM
    No software can convince me that it's safe to put personal information on a work device and vice versa. Even after seeing it in action, I would keep the two separate.
    01-24-11 02:33 AM
    No software can convince me that it's safe to put personal information on a work device and vice versa. Even after seeing it in action, I would keep the two separate.
    Bingo! Ditto!
    01-24-11 03:03 AM
    Same here, I know a lot of people get rid of their personal phone when they get a work phone. I carry two phones, my work Blackberry and my personal BlackBerry.
    01-24-11 08:10 AM
    Lol, this is in no way about what you, the user, want. It's about what the company wants.
    I have no doubt the only reason they would allow employees to bring their own iphone or android to the company is cuz they wouldn't have to pay for it. This could save the company a fortune but could also bring massive problems with leaked information.
    I think at first it started as a good idea and now they're trying to go back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 08:26 AM
    I could see it now: Massive data or information leaks caused by accidental misuse of a phone. Like wikileaks, but worse, company trade secrets being compromised.

01-24-11 08:34 AM
    Okay, can someone explain this to me, because I just don't get it. Why would enterprises want their users to be able to access facebook and such?

I guess I'm just stupid, but I don't really get the idea behind the program.
    01-24-11 11:29 AM
    I like the idea, especially if one could ensure their personal data is backed up. I work for a corporation that is more laid back on data policies, and I keep my personal accounts connected to my BB, including Facebook. I don't keep things on there that would harm me if IT looks at it.

Additionally, I like Motorola's newer Android feature of having a work and personal profile the changes the phones look, menus, etc.
    01-24-11 11:57 AM
    The premise is that for people who want to use their personal devices, a compartmentalisation of data would keep enterprise and personal separate. If you are so enamored of your personai device that you can't function without it, you can put it on the network and the software would keep them separate.
    You could have your iPhone, W7, Android (presumably!) on the network....certain networks....running alongside BBerries. RIM would get extra $$$ for the software and those who must be attached to their personal devices 25/8 can keep them for work so they don't have to deal with what they perceive to be s-l-o-w, antiquated, app-less BBerries.
    There ain't no way in H3ll I'm putting work data on my personal device, or putting my personal device on the network.

Here is the thing.....some people who just die if they don't have their own device will have to deal with a loss of control they won't be able to accept. Jailbroken and rooted devices won't be accepted in many enterprise settings, so those very reasons that those phones are attractive to that segment of the marketplace will find that they won't gain anything. The ones who will benefit are those who have their stock devices.

However, using your personal phone on the network is foolhardy. I've carried work devices and personal devices for over six years now, and they are *not* interchangeable.

01-24-11 12:16 PM
    There was an article just recently that told of a user that had their personal phone that they were using for business, wiped by their company remotely. All their personal contact list, photos and emails were gone. Now it was a mistake and all stuff was recovered by the company, but it was identified that it was 100% legal for a company to issue the wipe command if a phone was used for business even if it was 100% paid for by the user.

So if you quit or get fired, and you're with a large corporation, you are at risk of this happening and its legal.

I suspect this is the basis for this move. It seems many people have decided to use their own phones for both business and personal. By having the ability to compartmentalize the business section and the personal usage areas, this wipe of you phone will not be as bad if you have a Blackberry.
    01-24-11 01:36 PM
    It's called the BlackBerry Balance.

Globe & Mail just did a report on it.

RIM eyes software to balance work, personal data - The Globe and Mail
    01-24-11 03:20 PM
    I agree. But contrary to what some people on this forum believe, RIM is not standing still, and they will have some fantastic consumer oriented phones when QNX/dual core phones become available.
    Well we know that probably won't be this year unless the leaks about the upcoming devices all running 6.1 aren't true. This likely means we won't see a QNX dual core consumer oriented phone until 2012, and probably mid 2012, or 18 months from now. A giant Tsunami will be engulfing the world about the same time
    01-24-11 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD