Now that Sprint is changing it policy on adding addtional lines starting January 31st and changing upgrade policy starting April 1st does this give me an opportunity to cancel without paying the ETF?
    01-20-11 03:54 PM
    Sprint's current position is you WILL have to pay ETF. because if you do not upgrade your phone or swap ESN's you will not incur the $10. increase. As I stated yesterday in several posts Account Services and Escalation Managers were both rock solid firm on this. Keep your plan and phones "as is" forever and you will never have the $10. increase. Not realistic but apparently a "loophole" their staff of attornies feel confident in.
    01-20-11 04:24 PM
    Exactly as enable says. Sprint isn't changing YOUR contract, just future ones...
    01-20-11 04:28 PM
    Well what about the change to the upgrade policy? Is that grounds?

or should I try to add a line and then fight it?

Is there anyway to get out of the contract?
    01-20-11 04:29 PM
    Exactly as enable says. Sprint isn't changing YOUR contract, just future ones...
    So your telling me if I want to add a line after Jan 31st I will not be charged the extra $10?

Because I was under the impression that I have until the 31st to add a line otherwise I will be assessed this fee.
    01-20-11 04:34 PM
    So your telling me if I want to add a line after Jan 31st I will not be charged the extra $10?

Because I was under the impression that I have until the 31st to add a line otherwise I will be assessed this fee.
    I don't understand you logic here. Isn't adding a line changing your contract? You're completely right, you have until the 31st to add a line or else after that you'll be charged the $10 fee.

Why would you be adding a line if you're looking to get out of contract though?
    01-20-11 04:38 PM
    It's not clear yet what will happen. It depends on how Sprint enacts the increase. There's three ways they can do it:
    1. Sprint can modify your contract now to say that as soon as your plan changes you have to pay an extra $10. If this is the case, they have to give you notice and you can refuse the changes, in which case Sprint has voided the contract and you're legally free to go.
    2. Sprint can add the charge when you add a different smartphone to your number without you changing the contract in any way. If they do this, as soon as the charge is added the contract is immediately void and you're legally free to go.
    3. Sprint can wait for you to sign a new agreement to add the $10 (premier upgrades are included in this category). If you sign a new agreement with the $10 increase included, you're stuck with it unless you pay the ETF.
    01-20-11 04:42 PM
    I don't understand you logic here. Isn't adding a line changing your contract? You're completely right, you have until the 31st to add a line or else after that you'll be charged the $10 fee.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, switching to a new phone does not modify the contract. It certainly doesn't void it, and it is very unlikely that the contract allows Sprint to modify the existing contract price.

All this being said, it really doesn't matter, Sprint will post the ETF against your credit if they decide you want to, and I seriously doubt this is anything that anyone would take to court to have rectified. Easier to pay the ETF or extra $10 a month.
    01-20-11 04:45 PM

Im not and I dont want to Im just trying to prove my point that it will affect me. Id say or do whatever I have to get out of this contract.
    01-20-11 04:51 PM
    Im not and I dont want to Im just trying to prove my point that it will affect me. Id say or do whatever I have to get out of this contract.
    In that case maybe you should pay the ETF and look into a month-to-month plan.
    You entered into a contract, if Sprint voids it I agree you should be let out. But if you're just trying to avoid what you signed, you deserve to pay the ETF.
    01-20-11 04:54 PM
    In that case maybe you should pay the ETF and look into a month-to-month plan.
    You entered into a contract, if Sprint voids it I agree you should be let out. But if you're just trying to avoid what you signed, you deserve to pay the ETF.
    Avoid what I signed? I cant even get reception in my own house and I constantly have dropped calls. I didnt sign up for that.
    01-20-11 04:58 PM
    The thing is that Sprint isn't changing your contract at all. If you do nothing at all, just leave your contract as is, then nothing will change. You won't be charged the $10 a month.

Your current contract isn't be affected at all by these new policies...
    01-20-11 05:00 PM
    Besides how do I know I wont want to add a line 5 months from now. Contract is a contract. Doesnt matter if I plan on adding a line or not. If they are changing it without my concent I should have the option to get out of it.

Your a lawyer, am I wrong?
    01-20-11 05:01 PM
    Avoid what I signed? I cant even get reception in my own house and I constantly have dropped calls. I didnt sign up for that.
    You have 30 days to return the phones and end the plan with no charge. Plenty of time to realize a phone doesn't work in your house.
    01-20-11 05:01 PM
    Look, we aren't Sprint, don't get mad at us. If you have a problem with that then take it up with Sprint not us. You asked us if you can get out of contract with these new policies of theirs. Well, you can't.

Didn't you have a 30 day window to test out the service and phone? If you didn't take it back after that then YOU did sign up for that.
    01-20-11 05:03 PM
    You have 30 days to return the phones and end the plan with no charge. Plenty of time to realize a phone doesn't work in your house.
    Regardless, they are changing my contract, are they not?
    01-20-11 05:03 PM
    Besides how do I know I wont want to add a line 5 months from now. Contract is a contract. Doesnt matter if I plan on adding a line or not. If they are changing it without my concent I should have the option to get out of it.

Your a lawyer, am I wrong?
    You're wrong, I'm a law student lol - I can't legally give legal advice. I can explain contracts and terms of service tho, and Sprint's policies.

No, each phone is it's own contract. That's why each phone has it's own 2 year term. Getting another line in and of itself has no influence on the original contract. Sometimes Sprint will renegotiate the contract with you (ie, switching from an individual to a family plan) but that's a bilateral agreement and is not a breach of contract.
    01-20-11 05:05 PM
    The first 3 months the phone worked fine. Its a problem that has developed recently.

I think you all are missing the point.

It doesnt matter why I want to cancel my contract. Bottom line is my contract is being changed without my concent.
    Regardless, they are changing my contract, are they not?
    They are NOT changing your contract! If you do nothing then nothing will happen. If you want to add a line 5 months from now then that's YOU changing your contract. YOU will need to sign a new contract for that phone.
    Unless I am wrong, Sprint enables new customers 30 days to opt out of new contracts if you are not happy with anything.

And have you read your contract? Or do you expect everyone else to read thiers and answer your questions. Come on! Have a little personal responsibility here. Or why don't you just call and talk to customer service? I mean after all, that is what they get paid for.
    01-20-11 05:09 PM
    What ridesno said. Your contract will not change.
    Please re read this: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post5973034
    01-20-11 05:10 PM
    Thank you all for your feedback and advice.

You have been a wealth of information.
    01-20-11 05:11 PM
    If you want out of the contract because of losing signal in your house, and do not want to pay an ETF, then the burden of proof is on you. Pics and logs of when and where you lost signal. I believe it has to be more than 50% of the time to be considered poor enough coverage, but I have seen it done. Also, Agreed with the other to this point. Dial ### or *** for Verizon, but I'm not sure about sprint way to log failed calls. Good Luck.
    01-20-11 05:19 PM
    It really doesn't matter to me at this point. With all these fees that they will be charging, the getting rid of the Blackberry International plan unless you pay them $40 per month even when not traveling and if you shut it off its gone forever, changes in upgrade policies, and lack of good selection of World Phones (and with this 4G bullsiht that has no coverage footprint will probably have even less World phone selection), Sprint has lost its pricing edge. I was at about $200 per month for four Blackberry devices and taxes, now I'm at $240+ because of the Blackberry International plan, and if I were to stay I could be looking at $280+ after I upgrade all the phones. Sorry but even AT&T and Verizon family plans are cheaper at that point. Good job Sprint, pricing was your biggest, and possibly only strong point!
    01-21-11 08:49 AM
    @JRepsol - Basically, if you do not upgrade, no changes are being made to your contract. You just finish out your contract and either go month to month (without incurring the $10 fee) or cancel at that time.

My question is, if you buy the phone outright (from Sprint or a third party), and do not modify your contract and switch the phone, will you still be charged the $10 fee? At that point, wouldn't Sprint be changing the terms of your contract?
    01-21-11 02:33 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD