Hi, this is my first (and noob) question :P so, I'll try to don't make a mess xD

Basically, I want to know what are to pros and cons about upgrading my device from 4.6.1.272 to 5.X... I haven't done it yet, because I want to know first what I *can* and *can't* do in my BB after upgrading it.

Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards!

P.S. Sorry my bad english/grammar :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 10:53 PM
    TRANSITION effects
    01-20-11 01:18 AM
    BlackBerry OS 5.0 feels a little smoother compared with 4.6, but in my experience there aren't many benefits. Running OS 5 on the 8520 enables the location services, so things like Facebook Places or FourSquare can get a better idea of your location. But this may not be all that advantageous...
    01-20-11 03:50 PM
    Better Battery Life
    Better Browser
    Overall the OS is a bit more snappy
    A slightly faster Boot Up Time
    Enhanced media player / gallery

01-21-11 07:25 AM
    IMO there is NO good reason to stay with 4.6. I had two instances of a 507 error with 4.6 (must reload OS and restore - good luck if you don't backup your berry) and have had no issues with 5.0. Is much more stable for me.

One difference I can think of is threaded messaging, which I like. Keyboard lock is no longer holding A with 5.0, but that is a minor issue.

Just upgrade!

01-21-11 08:07 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the comments, have encouraged me to decide to upgrade .... But, something not considered in my previous post: what about applications that I have installed? I lose them all? no chance that they can be reinstalled (the same versions that I have now)?

must reload OS and restore - good luck if you don't backup your berry
    What do you mean by that? Sorry to ask, but I'm still not quite adapted to the terms used ....

And, as I can do the backup? It's the classic backup contacts and calendar stuff, or is it something different?

Best regards!
    Last edited by araxhiel; 01-22-11 at 08:05 AM.
    01-22-11 07:59 AM
    Better Battery Life
    Better Browser
    Overall the OS is a bit more snappy
    A slightly faster Boot Up Time
    Enhanced media player / gallery

Rightly said.
    01-22-11 08:37 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the comments, have encouraged me to decide to upgrade .... But, something not considered in my previous post: what about applications that I have installed? I lose them all? no chance that they can be reinstalled (the same versions that I have now)?

What do you mean by that? Sorry to ask, but I'm still not quite adapted to the terms used ....

And, as I can do the backup? It's the classic backup contacts and calendar stuff, or is it something different?

Best regards!
    You can back up applications this way:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/.
    You can also download BBSAK (BBSAK info: http://crackberry.com/tags/bbsak). Also, when you upgrade the OS using apploader there is an option to back up before upgrading. Select this and your apps should be restored with the new OS. Always a good idea to back up on your own as well.

Link to upgrading OS with Apploader: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

You can back up your device with Desktop Manager software. Link: BlackBerry 101: Backup and restore data using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6 | CrackBerry.com

Browsing the Blackberry 101 lectures is a great place to start for newbies. It helped me a ton.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ransonju; 01-22-11 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added BBSAK link
    araxhiel likes this.
    01-22-11 08:46 AM
    Despite all my intentions on the upgrading of the S.O. of my blackberry... I must to say that i'm on a dead end...

According to blackberry, there is only the version 4.6 of S.O. available for users from my carrier (Telcel, MX)... So, I must say that... I'm screwed, well, only until I found to bypass the protections (or whatever that package contains inside it) or at least the assurance that I can use another package of the v5 of S.O. without risk anything on my equipment...

Again, thank you so much for all the guidance and comments that you all gave me...

Best regards!
    01-22-11 05:41 PM
    You don't have to have an OS version from your carrier. I don't. My carrier is ATT and I'm running 5.0.0.1036.

Download the OS from this forum and install with apploader. Be sure to delete the vendor.xml file (as stated in the instructions). You will be fine. It doesn't affect your warranty.

01-22-11 10:27 PM
    good to know!
    01-24-11 09:09 PM
    You don't have to have an OS version from your carrier. I don't. My carrier is ATT and I'm running 5.0.0.1036.
    Well... the history so far... I've upgraded the OS from my 8520 and... I must say... It was a traumatic experience. Nah! I'm kidding

Actually It was kinda funny I've some troubles while my DM don't recognize the new version of the software ( OMG!) and a 'little' surprise when I don't know what I done and my BB goes off for a while ( Holy S...!) but... slowly the things came back to normally and I finished to perform the upgrade.

I must say that i was nervous, and maybe that was the origin of some of my errors... But, now, I think that everything is ok and It's fun to discover some of the features that are new/different from the old version of the O.S.

Just a quick question: when I 'write' the unlock password, usually I write it kinda fast... and It works fine on 4.6... but here, I don't know why, even if I write it correctly, It shows me an error ("Incorrect Password", it says) and prompts me to write the password again (even at same speed) and... Voual�! There you go!!! It works...

Anyone has/had this problem? It's just me? It's causeb by the "near death experience" of my BB?

Any way, that was only to write down (and pull out of my chest) this problem (?)

Again, thank you for all the comments, guidance and patience...

Have a nice day and best regards!
    01-25-11 08:32 AM
    Glad it worked for you. The nervousness goes away the more you do it

I don't password lock my phone so I can't help you with that.

araxhiel likes this.
    01-25-11 11:21 AM
    The password thing...I use the password keeper, and every time I update the OS, when I go into password keeper, it asks if I want to "convert the passwords"...if you say "no", I think it makes you put it in again. I've always said yes, and have only had to enter the password once after doing that (and it has left my passwords, it didn't change them, maybe it just changed the encryption for them or something). Maybe that is the same when you password lock your phone? I don't really know, just throwing something out there to see if it would help. Good luck and congrats on your successful OS update!
    01-25-11 11:27 AM
    I don't use Password Keeper, I noticed that it comes bundled with the OS, but I haven't used it before, so I don't know how to use it =\ ...

Anyway... I have changed my password, now I have another "slow" password.. I mean, it costs me more time to write it and, well, I can't write so well =P (finger size + keyboard size = FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU) so I think that may be is a speed-of-writing related issue
    01-25-11 11:57 AM
    I don't use Password Keeper, I noticed that it comes bundled with the OS, but I haven't used it before, so I don't know how to use it =\ ...

Anyway... I have changed my password, now I have another "slow" password.. I mean, it costs me more time to write it and, well, I can't write so well =P (finger size + keyboard size = FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU) so I think that may be is a speed-of-writing related issue
    Ahh. I see. Sorry I can't help more. Good luck!
    araxhiel likes this.
    01-25-11 12:27 PM
    Hi, this is my first (and noob) question :P so, I'll try to don't make a mess xD

Basically, I want to know what are to pros and cons about upgrading my device from 4.6.1.272 to 5.X... I haven't done it yet, because I want to know first what I *can* and *can't* do in my BB after upgrading it.

Thanks in advance.
    Best Regards!

P.S. Sorry my bad english/grammar :P

Updating is always good. Go for it. My favorite feature is the threaded text messages.
    01-26-11 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD