...To avoid the $10.00 extra fee. If you are thinking about upgrading what phone would you get?

I have a Tour that I'm still content with but wouldn't mind some suggestion if I changed my mind before Jan 31. I thought about the Bold but for the prices its not big of an upgrade. Is there something better out there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 10:24 AM
    In my opinion, go for the bold. If not the 9780 then the 9700. I have both and you're right, its not that big a difference but its the little differences that sold me on the phone to begin with. Either phone would be an excellent choice and with 6.0 official releases already out for the 9700 its gonna be even better. You wont regret it
    01-19-11 10:48 AM
    In my opinion, go for the bold. If not the 9780 then the 9700. I have both and you're right, its not that big a difference but its the little differences that sold me on the phone to begin with. Either phone would be an excellent choice and with 6.0 official releases already out for the 9700 its gonna be even better. You wont regret it
    Sprint doesn't have either of those. We have the 9650 Bold.
    01-19-11 10:56 AM
    Exactly. I wouldve gotten the 9780 in a heartbeat.

Last edited by noized77; 01-19-11 at 11:19 AM.
    01-19-11 11:15 AM
    If Sprint had something to upgrade to, I'd upgrade but as it stands now, nada.

If they ever got a Torch/Storm or some variation, I'd gladly eat the $10 a month data charge because I use a LOT of data when I YouTube at the gym.
    01-19-11 02:24 PM
    Given the esn swap thing that I heard in the other thread, i kinda doubt it will matter for a lot of people if they upgrade ahead of time or not...

If you do a esn swap at any point you're sunk.
    01-19-11 03:42 PM
    We ordered our daughter's purple 9670 from Best Buy today and will activate it on the 29th, just to be safe. And then hold onto it til her 13th bday on Feb 12th. (Ugh, gonna be a teenager in the house)
    01-19-11 09:03 PM
    I would love to upgrade my 8330 Curve before Jan 31st, but Sprint doesn't have anything worth while to upgrade too. I have had my Curve for approximately 3 years now, and have been sitting on my 2-year upgrade credit, just waiting on something worth while to upgrade too, but I look at the phones in the Sprint BB line-up, and there isn't enough difference and/or that much to gain from upgrading. I had my hopes for Sprint to drop something at the CES, then again for the Feb 7th announcement, which all signs are pointing toward a 3D DROID, maybe something will come out at the Mobile World Congress event, but at this point, I am not holding my breath. I have been with Sprint since I was 16, and I am now 24. I have never had an issue with service, so I remain loyal. I will never switch the the crap AT&T, but it is becoming hard to watch all the other carriers get better phones, seemingly on a monthly basis recently.
    01-20-11 08:00 AM
    I just wish I had used my upgrade back in Sept and sold the phone for profit. I was holding off hoping for a new BB, but it looks like it'll be next Sept before I get to use my upgrade!
    01-20-11 12:17 PM
    Does this mean we can break out of contract?

01-20-11 01:51 PM
    Why would we be able to break out of contract? I don't agree with the increase, but they are not changing your current contract unless you upgrade. If you already have a 3g smartphone, your rate will not increase. It will only increase with new contracts and/or upgrade. So technically, Sprint is not violating your current contract, they are just adding the charge if you start a new one.
    01-20-11 02:03 PM
    No, because it doesn't affect you until you sign a new one. Or opt out of the phone you signed the contract with.

01-20-11 02:05 PM
    Still cheaper than big red. I can speak from experience there. I love my new 9670. Def recommend it to anyone who likes flip
    01-20-11 03:22 PM
    01-20-11 05:28 PM
    I don't think there is a post about it, but it has came up and been linked. But this is a very reliable link. Thx papped.
    01-20-11 05:34 PM
    I think the worst parts about these changes aren't the changes themselves (all the US carriers are screwing customers right now) so in a way it's kind of expected, it's the small details that are not...

Like the fact that existing premier customers are not grandfathered into gold... That's a first. Or how the ESN swap results in the new data plan rates...
    01-20-11 05:37 PM
    My question is what happens to my wifes phone that we upgrade next month? And what about the person that has their annual upgrade in April? That is going to be a bummer.
    01-20-11 05:44 PM
    The Bold 9650 is actually better than the 9700. It is definitely worth upgrading to from the Tour. I did back in August and have no regrets. Ill admit it is a little larger than the 9700 but it has twice the internal storage of the 9700. Now im not knocking the 9700 by any means, if I was on gsm I would definitely have one. But the 9650 to me seems to be somewhere in between the 9700 and 9780.
    01-20-11 05:49 PM
    Im thinking I might just grab a bold now. If I can find a good used one great, but I just hate to do it if a torch is coming soon. I also like the Evo shift but it wouldnt really matter when I purchased that as it already has the plan attached as it is a 4g phone. Either way if I'm going to pay the extra $10 per month, I will make sure the phone is capable of 4g to get what im paying for.
    01-20-11 06:53 PM
    Sprint is coming out with a HUGE ANNOUCNMET February 7th. This could be anything!
    Sorry about the spelling.
    01-20-11 09:07 PM
    I plan on letting my contracts expire this summer and switch to either AT&T or TMobile. Sprint just doesn't offer an International traveling business person anything now. Only a couple of phone choices, their 4G is only going to work in the US, and they killed off their international Blackberry plans with no warning and without a replacement. I guess things could change between now and summer, but I think Sprint is on the wrong path with this 4G rollout. I understand why they went with WiMax when they did, but 4G isn't ready for primetime so they probably should have looked at just axing iDen and converting that spectrum to HSPA+, then convert the CDMA to HSPA+ too. HSPA+ offers all of the voice call benefits that CDMA had (because it is W-CDMA), and it is faster than Sprint/Clearwire's WiMax, and will be supported in more places around the world.
    01-21-11 09:08 AM
    If I had known about this earlier, like a month ago, I'd've saved up to get a Bold or the new Curve before the deadline. Even at full retail, it'd be worth it to avoid the extra $10 a month charge to have the best current model device.
    01-22-11 12:29 PM
    i dont remember ow long ive been with sprint/nextel but i know its been 8-10yrs
    so instead of wasting my upgrade now and waiting for newer bb's later this year
    i bought an 8530 of ebay for decent money (currently have a nextel 8350i) to hold me over...just hope it gets here by the 28th and everything goes smooth.
    wanted the 9650 but didnt want to spend around 200 for a used one when i could just use my upgrade and switch to android for the time being for that price (until newer berrys come out)

so at the end of it all...hopefully ill beat the new $10 charges, still have my upgrade till newer berrys come out and be off contract lol
    01-22-11 06:43 PM
    It's funny that I had been on an Evo 4G with Sprint before deciding that it wasn't for me and did a swap to get back on BlackBerry. While the phone itself was a big draw, I thought it would be an added bonus that I wouldn't be paying the $10 Premium Data fee. I didn't realize how close I would be cutting it to avoid that on even my BlackBerry.

It still wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, though, considering that Sprint has great coverage where I live, and even with the $10 fee my monthly total with them is still lower than AT&T or Verizon. T-Mobile can be cheaper, but they have nothing for data service here.
    01-23-11 09:35 AM
    p;;Hmm,.
    01-23-11 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD