I'm on T-Mobile and coming from a 9700 with a leaked 6.0 OS. I've had it with my BB and after doing some research, I went with the MyTouch 4G.

So with that said, I just recently bought a MyTouch and being that this is my first Android phone, is there any way to get rid of all the crap they load this phone up with? I've tried doing some searching online and on youtube and don't feel like I have the knowledge or the comfort level to "root" this phone; especially if it's even possible, I don't have a clue. I just don't like things running in the background and want to maximize the battery on this device. Like the blackberry, are we able to at least place them in a "folder" and hide them? I've bene trying to find information online but after a while it all seems to sound the same and rather useless.
    01-18-11 10:37 PM
    Unfortunately bloatware are system files that can't be removed without rooting your device.

Your choices are

Root device:

Use titanium back up or root explorer to delete all bloatware

or

Root device and install bloatware free custom ROM

Rooting is not hard, there are sites like androidcentral and xda developers that will help you root your device.

HTC Glacier: myTouch 4G - xda-developers
    HTC myTouch 4G - Android Forums
    Last edited by JD914; 01-18-11 at 11:01 PM.
    01-18-11 10:54 PM
    If you're afraid of rooting, you may be able to temporarily root with "Visionary" and disable the bloatware apps through terminal emulator and using the "pm disable _______________" command.. if the security is like the G2, then the bloatware won't return when u reboot the phone (root will be gone though)
    01-18-11 11:32 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. If I root, will I loose all OTA updates? Looking like I have some reading to do on those websites.
    01-19-11 12:04 AM
    all rooting does is give you Super User access to your phone... if you root, you won't lose any OTA updates you currently have, but you'd have to "unroot" your phone to get any future OTA updates T-Mobile sends out (which may or may not hinder your ability to reroot your phone until another method is found).
    01-19-11 09:29 AM
    Another method (and someone correct me if i'm wrong) is to install another launcher like Launcher Pro (which doesn't require root) which allows you to "hide" apps that you don't want to see.

Again..I could be mistaken..but i'm pretty sure I did this before I rooted to hide my unwanted apps.

And to the OP..if you just want to remove icons from your home screens..simply long press on them until you see a garbage can appear..and then drag and drop them. This will remove them from the homescreen..but the only way to permanently remove them is to root.
    01-19-11 11:48 AM
    Yes LauncherPro hides apps from the drawer
    01-19-11 11:52 AM
    Couple of other notes -

If you delete the bloatware permanently, you will most likely have trouble with OTA updates. Some people have been able to upgrade OTA without issue, but most are not getting the updates or the update is failing. LauncherPro would be my best suggestion without rooting, as you can freeze those apps so they don't run, but you'll still have the files to ensure you can update.
    01-19-11 12:44 PM
    Thanks again for the help fellas. Trying to figure things out. So far so good.
    01-20-11 07:25 PM
    I had a BB 9700, went to a MyTouch 4G, and now came back to BB 9780. Reason? The battery sucks on all Android phones. I got tired of charging my phone 3 times per day. I prefer just charging my BB every other day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-11 02:51 AM
    I went from bold 9700 to a mt4g couldn't be happier I only have to charge my phone one a day iam getting between 19 to 21 hours off a charge

01-22-11 07:43 AM
    I went from bold 9700 to a mt4g couldn't be happier I only have to charge my phone one a day iam getting between 19 to 21 hours off a charge

I am in the same boat. I switched to the MT4G about 2 1/2 months ago and I am happy. Took a while to grow on me. I will swich back to BB when RIM has something comparable. Battery life is better than it was the 1st few weeks. I get about the same 18-24 hours. No as good as my 9700 but battery life is enough for a hard day.
    01-22-11 10:48 PM
    Well after having this phone for a few days now, I have made up my mind to go back to the Blackberry. Having been a longtime Blackberry user with 2 different iPod Touches (4G now), the MyTouch is simply a dog. The on screen keyboard is crap, just like the browser and the whole phone just doesn't "flow". I am seriously unimpressed with Android and wish it farewell for good. I will be returning it ASAP. Thanks anyways for the help.
    01-23-11 02:24 AM
    Good luck with your BB's and iPod's. As they say "to each their own".
    01-23-11 08:03 AM
    01-23-11 08:08 AM
    Well after having this phone for a few days now, I have made up my mind to go back to the Blackberry. Having been a longtime Blackberry user with 2 different iPod Touches (4G now), the MyTouch is simply a dog. The on screen keyboard is crap, just like the browser and the whole phone just doesn't "flow". I am seriously unimpressed with Android and wish it farewell for good. I will be returning it ASAP. Thanks anyways for the help.

Somehow, I find this hard to believe lol
    01-23-11 08:29 AM
    Somehow, I find this hard to believe lol
    I never plan on getting an iphone, but my ipod's browser runs circles around this thing with ergonomics, smoothness and speed. Im just sad because I would expect more from Google. The hardware is great though.
    Last edited by lbsigman; 01-23-11 at 10:53 AM.
    01-23-11 10:45 AM
    I never plan on getting an iphone, but my ipod's browser runs circles around this thing with speed, ergonomics, smoothness and speed. Im just sad because I would expect more from Google. The hardware is great though.
    oooh, I thought you meant in comparison to the 9700 () lol
    01-23-11 10:49 AM
    I never plan on getting an iphone, but my ipod's browser runs circles around this thing with ergonomics, smoothness and speed. Im just sad because I would expect more from Google. The hardware is great though.
    I have to disagree massively. I have a 3rd gen iPood Touch and this variant of chrome mobile runs circles around Mobile Safari. The speed doesn't bog down when you have less that 10% of memory left, like the safari does. The Safari doesn't do Flash at all. I can tell you for a dang fact that OTA (HSPA+) on Android and on the iPhone4 i can pull sites faster than Apple can. I have a co-worker that is a iFan to the n'th degree and even he is impressed by Androids Browser.
    01-23-11 04:28 PM
    I have to disagree massively. I have a 3rd gen iPood Touch and this variant of chrome mobile runs circles around Mobile Safari. The speed doesn't bog down when you have less that 10% of memory left, like the safari does. The Safari doesn't do Flash at all. I can tell you for a dang fact that OTA (HSPA+) on Android and on the iPhone4 i can pull sites faster than Apple can. I have a co-worker that is a iFan to the n'th degree and even he is impressed by Androids Browser.
    Well of course the 3G will be slower and less comparable, but I was talking about the 4G ipod touch. I will give credit to Android pulling websites faster, but scrolling around, zooming in and out is choppy and clunky. I have zero 3rd party programs on this phone so memory is not the issue here. I have live without Flash for many years with my blackberry so im not gaining nor looking anything.
    Last edited by lbsigman; 01-23-11 at 04:52 PM.
    01-23-11 04:50 PM
    Well of course the 3G will be slower and less comparable, but I was talking about the 4G ipod touch. I will give credit to Android pulling websites faster, but scrolling around, zooming in and out is choppy and clunky. I have zero 3rd party programs on this phone so memory is not the issue here. I have live without Flash for many years with my blackberry so im not gaining nor looking anything.
    So your answer to a "choppy and clunky" (your words) Android browser is to return to Blackberry? Talk about battered wife syndrome!
    01-23-11 05:33 PM
    So your answer to a "choppy and clunky" (your words) Android browser is to return to Blackberry? Talk about battered wife syndrome!
    No that's not the only reason why I'm swearing off Android. For what the phone has, things should be more fluid. I ultimately could live without the browser if I needed to as well as the many apps available. The screen is the total detractor for me.
    01-23-11 05:45 PM
    I am in the same boat but I don't want to bail so quickly. FWIW my husband had no data service for a while (saving money and he hardly uses it) and his BB lasted 4 days without service. The Android is doing SO much more than your BB did. Wait a while before ditching. I've also heard the battery life improves a bit as youuse it.
    01-24-11 02:53 PM
    You might be able to find a "generic" firmware from HTC (isn't that who makes it?) and use that without having to root the phone, since its firmware from your manufacturer. then it wouldn't have all the bloat-ware.

It might get pushed back to you, though. *shrug*
    01-24-11 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD