Oh, Sprint, you sneaky devil. The nation's third-largest carrier just announced that it's tacking on an extra monthly $10 "premium data" charge to its 3G Everything data plans -- in effect, charging 3G phone owners the same total price that Evo and Epic owners pay now for 4G service. It's especially weird because Sprint's hidden the price increase in a press release entitled "Smartphones Drive Wireless Data Explosion" that initially appears to be about increased use of data before shifting abruptly into a defense of the additional charge and potshots at tiered data plans -- we know no one wants to talk price increases, but let's have some gumption, guys. Existing 3G Everything plan holders won't see their rates go up until they "upgrade or activate another smartphone," which doesn't sound great for family plans, but we'll get some clarification on that and let you know. Either way, we'd say picking up a non-4G Sprint phone just got real silly. PR after the break.

Link to the sorce of this: Sprint increasing 3G data plan pricing by $10/mo, calling it 'premium data' -- Engadget
    01-18-11 08:14 PM
    I know it sounds frustrating but even with the increase, they will still be cheaper than big red. Another great thing is the data is unlimited. I would rather pay the extra 10 then be capped (handcuffed) like I was with ATT.
    01-18-11 08:18 PM
    01-18-11 08:27 PM
    More than two others lol.
    01-18-11 09:33 PM
    More than two others lol.
    Very true.
    01-18-11 09:57 PM
    I know it sounds frustrating but even with the increase, they will still be cheaper than big red. Another great thing is the data is unlimited. I would rather pay the extra 10 then be capped (handcuffed) like I was with ATT.
    The gap between Sprint and Verizon is closing very quickly for me. This will raise my family plan 50 a month. Getting too close to Verizon's prices to stay.
    01-18-11 11:15 PM
    I;ll still pay around half what i paid with big red for more
    01-19-11 01:15 AM
    And big v has officially killed NE2 program.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 01:41 AM
    The gap between Sprint and Verizon is closing very quickly for me. This will raise my family plan 50 a month. Getting too close to Verizon's prices to stay.
    I checked in plans for Vzw and for ATTWS yesterday. Vzw's plan was actually pretty close to Sprint's plan. I wouldn't get unlimited minutes like I do with Sprint, but I text so much that I wouldn't ever use all the minutes. I think for about 450 minutes, plus unlimited texting and unlimited data/web it was about $85 a month which is about what I'm paying with Sprint after taxes and all that crap.

Vzw also has a certified refurb Storm2 for free for new users. So if Sprint doesn't pull their head out of their butts and release a touch screen BB rather than the Curve -facepalm 3.0-, that's something to consider for people like me who are peeved @ Sprint for not releasing decent phones on top of taxing us to death on the smart phone plans.
    01-19-11 09:13 AM
    Does this mean that as long as you keep your existing smart phone that the $10 charge will not apply until you activate a new one?
    01-19-11 09:45 AM
    Does this mean that as long as you keep your existing smart phone that the $10 charge will not apply until you activate a new one?
    Yes. Or as long as you upgrade before the end of the month.
    01-19-11 09:52 AM
    Whew!!!!!.....I thought this was another $10 on top of another $10 that I posted a comment about somewhere else, after reading about $10 being added on my phone after I make an adjustment to my contract that I don't have to pay the $10 on right now.
    01-19-11 09:12 PM
    I checked in plans for Vzw and for ATTWS yesterday. Vzw's plan was actually pretty close to Sprint's plan. I wouldn't get unlimited minutes like I do with Sprint, but I text so much that I wouldn't ever use all the minutes. I think for about 450 minutes, plus unlimited texting and unlimited data/web it was about $85 a month which is about what I'm paying with Sprint after taxes and all that crap.

Vzw also has a certified refurb Storm2 for free for new users. So if Sprint doesn't pull their head out of their butts and release a touch screen BB rather than the Curve -facepalm 3.0-, that's something to consider for people like me who are peeved @ Sprint for not releasing decent phones on top of taxing us to death on the smart phone plans.
    still have to pay for GPS if u really want to compare plans. tack on another 10 for that one. i will stick to sprint and keep my unlimited everything.
    01-20-11 01:50 AM
    I thought you just had to pay extra for vzw nav, but gps worked fine.
    For me at least, sprint nav is pretty much useless, much rather use bbmaps or google maps.

01-20-11 02:19 AM
    Its things like this that make me wanna leave sprint at times, but then I remember that's it still cheaper than most carriers.

01-20-11 03:41 AM
    I thought you just had to pay extra for vzw nav, but gps worked fine.
    For me at least, sprint nav is pretty much useless, much rather use bbmaps or google maps.

This is correct. the 9.99 charge isn't for GPS, but just VZW's own app for navigation.
    I personally wouldn't pay per month for any app like that...I much prefer Google Maps myself and my stand-alone GPS unit in my car.

Before this charge, Sprint was cheaper than my current T-Mobile plan but now, it's the same (~80) and I get unlimited minutes.

I think this was a bad move for Sprint. Not necessarily something that will have them losing MILLIONS of customers, but it may discourage some people or sway their choice away from Sprint when they are comparing carriers.
    01-20-11 12:04 PM
    big red has better coverage and technology though..
    01-20-11 10:52 PM
    big red has better coverage and technology though..
    That's dependent on where you live.
    01-21-11 10:26 AM
    agrees with missjennell
    01-21-11 11:02 AM
    still have to pay for GPS if u really want to compare plans. tack on another 10 for that one. i will stick to sprint and keep my unlimited everything.
    I rarely if ever use GPS. If I get lost, I call my sister. She Mapquests where I'm supposed to be.
    01-21-11 02:00 PM
    The extra charge doesn't bother me much. What really pisses me off is the fact that I now have to wait 22 months to upgrade. When I signed up for Sprint, the upgrade after one year was a huge attraction to me. They should at least let existing Premier customers upgrade after one year.
    01-21-11 04:50 PM
    Yep, I agree with you I feel sorry for the person that has there upgrade in April and now doesn't get to use it. And has to wait til next year now. This day in age a smartphone is almost outdayed by the next quarter. So they better start making phones that can hold up over two years. Because I believe these phone makers are making phones with the impression that you will be getting a new one in 12 months time. But who knows. This could be a good thing as phone makers may need to build better quality and specs since their sales may take a hit since a large market of annual upgrades will disappear from VZW and Sprint.

01-21-11 05:13 PM
    still way cheaper than big red and get a lot more. and for the GPS, only recently did big red allow other programs to use it, my old phones only their navigation would work, so you had to pay.
    01-21-11 06:07 PM
    After looking over this presentation that TMobile setup with their growth plan for the US, I'm thinking that this summer it looks like I will probably be changing to them when my contract expires.

http://www.download-telekom.de/dt/St...pdf_976790.pdf

They will have a huge HSPA+ network by 2013 (if they follow this plan) that can be migrated to LTE, and when I'm traveling or outside of their coverage area they have UMA for WiFi calling and connectivity. DT has decided that the US market has better returns and much more growth potential and their goal is to become the number three carrier in the US. Also with all the new fees Sprint is implementing they will then be cheaper, for much faster service and phones that will work globally. Sprint just doesn't seem to have a clear plan moving forward, or at least they aren't articulating it well. I've been with Sprint since 2001, and they used to have coolest phones and best pricing, then it was just the best pricing, and soon they will have no advantage.
    01-22-11 10:43 AM
    Yep, Sounds good in theory. But in the last 30 days we have seen a $10 increase in data plans per phone and most likely a change in the Premier Program. 2013 is still a long ways away for T-Mobile to do whatever they want. People need to quit looking at right now, and consider where Sprint will be as far as pricing when every carrier decides to add a surcharge for 4G usage.
    01-22-11 11:05 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD