Usually when I use an app, I tend to press the escape key to get out of it, leaving it still running in the background.

Is there any way to close all programs at once from the home screen or something?

Thanks
    08-01-08 11:22 PM
    Yeah all at once = battery pull.......

But really it is good to exit out of the applications when not in use...... Menu - Close.
    08-01-08 11:35 PM
    You can't close them all at once, but from any screen you can press ALT and the back key and it will bring up a list of all your open programs. There are 5 that will always be open and can't be closed - they are the browser, home, messages, phone and BBMessenger. All other apps can be closed. Scroll to the app and then release the ALT button and it will take you to that app so you can close it.
    08-01-08 11:36 PM

But really it is good to exit out of the applications when not in use...... Menu - Close.

LOL yeah that works every time
    08-01-08 11:37 PM
    ^^^^what she said!
    08-01-08 11:37 PM

Stole my answer... lol. I was grinning until the thread loaded and saw my answer being the first response.
    08-02-08 12:14 AM
    lol sorry
    08-02-08 12:24 AM
    Keep grinnin' fellas. It's a legit question. This is yet another ***** design of Blackberries that the folks at RIM haven't quite figured out.

1) Who wants to keep pressing endless buttons to quit out of every application?

2) If you're in media player you're quitting out of every screen and need two keypresses or a good amount of scrolling.

3) Is there some reason why RIM hasn't thought of having a quit running apps button?

4) Why must Blackberry Messenger ALWAYS be running? How about the browser? I never use Messenger yet it MUST run.

The same group of geniuses keep sticking the dedicated currency key and force us to shift-m just to type a period. Some things the folks at RIM just never learn. Infuriating.
    08-02-08 11:58 AM
    Keep grinnin' fellas. It's a legit question. This is yet another ***** design of Blackberries that the folks at RIM haven't quite figured out.

2) If you're in media player you're quitting out of every screen and need two keypresses or a good amount of scrolling.

3) Is there some reason why RIM hasn't thought of having a quit running apps button?

4) Why must Blackberry Messenger ALWAYS be running? How about the browser? I never use Messenger yet it MUST run.

The same group of geniuses keep sticking the dedicated currency key and force us to shift-m just to type a period. Some things the folks at RIM just never learn. Infuriating.
    You made some points. They should make an F4 key
    08-02-08 01:00 PM
    You made some points. They should make an F4 key
    hahahaha

thats clever
    08-02-08 01:05 PM
    Here are a few more ways RIM needs to fix the OS.

1) STILL no standard/uniform way to exit programs? WTF is wrong with them? alt-q or something should quit the app instead of option button, scroll, scroll, scroll, click!

2) Key combos in menu. Why has what Palm and every other OS has done since the 90s evaded Blackberry? It's simple - key combos for commands and the shortcuts should appear in the drop down menu.
    08-03-08 02:55 PM
    I think if RIM make a "Close all apps" button, users want to have exceptions to what have to be closed. I think it's worthless to have an option like that.

A general short cut to close apps would be highly appreciated like "ALT-Q" like somebody suggested.

Maybe it's a good idea that the apps from Rim and 3rd parties alike put the "close / Exit" choice on top of the menu instead of the bottom.
    08-03-08 03:26 PM
    Here are a few more ways RIM needs to fix the OS.

1) STILL no standard/uniform way to exit programs? WTF is wrong with them? alt-q or something should quit the app instead of option button, scroll, scroll, scroll, click!

2) Key combos in menu. Why has what Palm and every other OS has done since the 90s evaded Blackberry? It's simple - key combos for commands and the shortcuts should appear in the drop down menu.
    Just add it to the long list of stuff Blackberries just don't do. It's not that they can't, it's that RIM developers aren't that good. The operating system is very closed and most 3rd party developers stay clear of Blackberry because it's a frustrating environment to work in.

For every one app for BB, there's hundreds for Palm Treos.
    08-03-08 04:02 PM
    There is a way to close programs without the scrolling I think its worked so far. Rather than just pressing the escape key hold it down andThere is a way to close programs without the scrolling I think its worked so far. I found this out while messing with the phone the other day. Btw I'm a newbie let me know if it works. Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-08 12:04 AM
    There is a way to close programs without the scrolling I think its worked so far. Rather than just pressing the escape key hold it down andThere is a way to close programs without the scrolling I think its worked so far. I found this out while messing with the phone the other day. Btw I'm a newbie let me know if it works. Thanks!

You can hold escape down all you want, it wont close apps; just takes you out of them- they are still running in the background.
    08-04-08 12:09 AM
    ^^^That's the end key. I just read elsewherw holding esacape closes apps. It appears my 15 minutes of fame came and went faster that it took ya'll to read this post.

08-04-08 12:14 AM
    I just double click the space bar for a period. Why is it we're just talking and helping someone out, and a BB hater pops in to ruin a pretty good mood. Everyone will admit our devices have drawbacks, I don't know too many perfect machines. They're all designed by humans. I couldn't imagine showing up one some other product's fan site and jumping in to rip that product. It takes a pretty interesting personality to do something like that. Just saying ...

08-04-08 01:05 AM

If you really never use BBMessenger than you should just uninstall it. it's easy enough to reinstall it later if you change your mind.
    09-09-09 07:48 AM
    This is absolutely corret! I totally agree with this poor programming option. There is so much well thought out design to this platform but the close all feature is painfully absent. Hello BB, are you listening?
    09-30-09 12:28 PM
    This is absolutely correct! I totally agree with this poor programming option. There is so much well thought out design to this platform but the close all feature is painfully absent. Hello BB, are you listening?
    09-30-09 12:29 PM
    In BB 5.0 Software, which I am running I can open an app and keep it running by hitting the end call button. But heres the kicker if i use the back arrow button it actually will close the application. So that might be something to look into.
    09-30-09 01:25 PM
    you may also bring up app swicher in 5.0 by holding down blackberry button.
    09-30-09 02:06 PM

U don't have to push alt-m just to type a period. If u push the space bar twice it puts a period there. That's what I do, way faster.

10-01-09 07:45 AM
    I tested the "hold the Esc key down" theory by going deep into the folders of my Media. Then I held the Esc key down, it took me all the way out of my Media and when I used Alt-Esc to check if Media was still open -- it was NOT.
    10-01-09 12:35 PM
    In BB 5.0 Software, which I am running I can open an app and keep it running by hitting the end call button. But heres the kicker if i use the back arrow button it actually will close the application. So that might be something to look into.
    I would of programmed it the other way around, back arrow to exit without clsing and end key to actually end (close) the program
    10-01-09 12:59 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD