I am not down playing Blackberry. I currently own a 9650 w/Verizon. Lately, I've been using my mobile device more often to browse the web, Twitter, Crackberry.com, etc...It seems that it is taking FOREVER to load a page! Is OS 6 that much improvement? I started with the 8330 to the 9630 to the Bold. I have been happy with Blackberry, It's saved my --- many a time! But I've been thinking my needs are changing. Again, this is not a 'slam' on Blackberry or RIM or their devices. Just wondering if OS 6 will be the improvement in speed and rendering pages I am looking for. Signals are at full bars where I live and work, so I don't think that is my speed problem, and I am careful that no other programs are running in the background except the ones that always do.
    01-17-11 04:21 PM
    Yep! The browser is a web-kit browser and is much better. They render pages quickly and the same way a desktop browser would. Things like navigating a web page, zooming in and out and highlighting texts is much easier and better. Also you have the tabs option, to have multiple tabs open and running in the background.

So I would definitely say that upgrading to OS6 for the browser is worth it. Even thought OS6 offer a bunch of cool new features, Most ppl have upgraded simply because of the browser.
    01-17-11 04:51 PM
    The browser in OS6 is TONS better than OS5 (or older). World of difference. It's a full web-kit browser. Except for flash, it displays full webpages (though many sites still detect and switch to a mobile version).

Generally, it seems to load slower than iPhones and some Andriod phones, but not by much.

I almost never used the browser on my 8310 because it was pretty unusable. I browse daily now with my Torch (OS6).
    01-17-11 04:54 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I read the rumor of the OS 6 release from Verizon for Jan. 19, but, been around long enough to realize it might not happen. So, Sprints version of OS 6 doing ok?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 05:08 PM
    Its is a lot better...

01-17-11 05:16 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I read the rumor of the OS 6 release from Verizon for Jan. 19, but, been around long enough to realize it might not happen. So, Sprints version of OS 6 doing ok?

Yes, Sprints version works fine on a 9650 for Verizon. I feel like you do, I am just waiting the 2 days to see if Big Red does release it's own OS6. I am also interested to see if there is any diff between the Sprint version I use and it's own, if released.
    01-17-11 05:36 PM
    I have a 9650 with OS 6 as well and if comparing to older BB OS then it is better especially over WIFI. If comparing to other platforms then no it's not. I've used a friend's Torch and that version is much better in my opinion than the 9650. Depends on your needs.
    01-17-11 05:46 PM
    I requested this of Android in another thread. Would someone be willing to post a few screen shots of BlackBerry OS6 browser on here. Maybe load up CrackBerry.com and Orbitz.com.

Thanks!

01-17-11 05:48 PM
    Browser is indeed MUCH better than the OS5 browser, but it's still not as snappy as Android/iOS, probably due to CPU speed or the OS itself.
    01-17-11 07:51 PM
    Lol! It couldn't be much worse!
    01-17-11 07:54 PM
    I've loaded various leaked versions of OS 6 on my Pearl 3G and I LOVE the browser so much more. It kicks a$$ on the browser in OS 5. The page renders are so much faster, even on mobile sites. The zooming stands head and shoulders above the previous. IMHO the browsing experience only seems slower in comparison to other platforms because of the relatively underpowered proc. A sufficient proc upgrade in future BB's should make the experience equal or better than other platforms.
    01-17-11 08:01 PM
    There's a vid on youtube of the torch vs the ip4 and the torch rendered web pages faster (but the ip4 was still 20x smoother)

01-18-11 01:43 AM
    not to flame here, but here's video done by crackberry on youtube, and the first two tests... mobile crackberry and crackberry, the i4 wins both times... so I kinda have to say bull$hit on that one

01-18-11 04:45 AM
    not to flame here, but here's video done by crackberry on youtube, and the first two tests... mobile crackberry and crackberry, the i4 wins both times... so I kinda have to say bull$hit on that one

Lol you're right, I just rewatched the video I was talking about and it was slower (1st result when you youtube 'iphone4 vs torch').. I mustve been thinking about the playbook vs ipad video that was recently released.. Either way the os6 browser is still wayy better than the excuse for a browser on os5

01-18-11 05:02 AM
    Bolt, opera mini (beta 2 on OS 6), Uzard. Good browsers in their own ways.

01-18-11 06:02 AM
    I am not down playing Blackberry. I currently own a 9650 w/Verizon. Lately, I've been using my mobile device more often to browse the web, Twitter, Crackberry.com, etc...It seems that it is taking FOREVER to load a page! Is OS 6 that much improvement? I started with the 8330 to the 9630 to the Bold. I have been happy with Blackberry, It's saved my --- many a time! But I've been thinking my needs are changing. Again, this is not a 'slam' on Blackberry or RIM or their devices. Just wondering if OS 6 will be the improvement in speed and rendering pages I am looking for. Signals are at full bars where I live and work, so I don't think that is my speed problem, and I am careful that no other programs are running in the background except the ones that always do.
    It will all depend in what kind of sites you're visiting tbh. Yes..the new webkit is an improvement over the previous browser..and if all you're visiting is mobile sites then it will fit your needs nicely. IF you find yourself visiting full sites commonly..then it may be a bit of a disappoitment. Personally..I found navigating thru some of my fantasy sports web pages (which are full sites) to be a frustrating task..which eventually led me to try something different to meet my "needs".
    01-18-11 07:32 AM
    It will all depend in what kind of sites you're visiting tbh. Yes..the new webkit is an improvement over the previous browser..and if all you're visiting is mobile sites then it will fit your needs nicely. IF you find yourself visiting full sites commonly..then it may be a bit of a disappoitment. Personally..I found navigating thru some of my fantasy sports web pages (which are full sites) to be a frustrating task..which eventually led me to try something different to meet my "needs".
    I love OS6 and I have to agree with this opinion. I am using Bolt and I find it loads faster than the native browser and renders pages in column view and with larger fonts, making web pages easier to read. It is actually a joy to use Bolt on OS6.

But yeah...some many improvements with OS6 over old, tired 5...
    01-18-11 08:18 AM
    The OS6 Browser is good!
    but if browsing is now your primary use, unfortunately Blackberry isn't the best option.
    Unless it is the form factor you love, then I suggest also downloading BOLT

Try Bolt on your device, and you'll also see
    01-18-11 08:22 AM
    I requested this of Android in another thread. Would someone be willing to post a few screen shots of BlackBerry OS6 browser on here. Maybe load up CrackBerry.com and Orbitz.com.

Thanks!

Here ya go... BB OS6 browser on the 9700

01-18-11 07:57 PM
    Sorry, I didnt post crackberry.com or orbitz, I had these screen shots already, so I posted them
    Last edited by FMB8900; 01-21-11 at 10:28 AM.
    01-18-11 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD