First of all, I must say I like RIM, but I'm not a fan. I'm a fan of good devices with good support, call it apple, call it Motorola, call it blackberry.

But does anybody feel this is a total marketing strategy? New processor? Really?

This new blackberry seems more like torch 9850 than anything else.
    Unless they are planning to revamp the torch totally right before the official launch... I don't see much of a success.

Of course, this is how it works: Torch sales are ok, but not enough... wait we throw a new update and we say "The new torch is faster"... Then expect people to buy it as a brand new experience?

More like a troll's logic to me, since there is no useful feature that is worth changing.
    My point is this new torch is pointed for the people who only care about having a faster phone... but how fast is it going to be. But let's face it, is it going to be more efficient? Worth upgrading from Torch 1 to 2? Don't think so.

Anyways, this addons would've been nice:
    -Twice the battery life
    -Front Facing camera
    -HD video recording
    -Optical zoom.

This is my own opinion. Since they coming with a "Torch 2", how about some real upgrades?
    01-15-11 09:45 AM
    for a start, forget about optical zoom, think the only phone to have it was the Nokia N93 and that thing is huge!!!

the rest of your "wishlist" is sort of correct, should have atleast the battery of the torch and a front facing camera,why are RIM making phones without front facing cameras?
    HD recording yes, even if only 720p
    and whats the deal with the VGA screen? come on up the pixel count PLEASE!!!
    01-15-11 01:02 PM
    What is the point of adding front facing cameras if your carriers aren't currently supporting them? Geeze, and they thought texting was dangerous, now videochatting on the highways.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BayouBengal21 and meistro like this.
    01-15-11 01:38 PM
    Thank you for your points. A reasonable person.

01-15-11 03:30 PM
    and whats the deal with the VGA screen? come on up the pixel count PLEASE!!!
    Before complaining about the resolution you should probably consider the ppi, this torch won't match up to something like the iphone 4's display, but it is more than competitive with the typical pixel density of phones with the usual wvga displays.
    01-15-11 05:09 PM
    What is the point of adding front facing cameras if your carriers aren't currently supporting them? Geeze, and they thought texting was dangerous, now videochatting on the highways.

The iPhone uses facetime over wifi (and over 3g when jailbroken). I think the features should be device based, not carrier based.

I would love to use the front facing camera with skype, windows live, gtalk to talk to my family when I'm in hotels or malls with free wifi (because I live half way accross the globe, and I travel the world for a living). This addon would make the phone a real contender.

Yeah, optical zoom... well maybe is not a big need, but it sure would be a **** of a plus.

The VGA screen... well if you have HD media support, then it's pointless... but to me a big screen only means more battery power, which the torch clearly needs.

Anyways, I love the torch, is really a solid phone. Plain and simple. Yes there are better phones for different purposes. But for me, international internet usage at a flat rate.... Well, RIM does the job like no one else.
    I do think, however, that this "improvement" in the new torch is an insult. Maybe I'm guessing, but I don't see this new phone being better than the one we have now. And that's the big issue here.
    01-16-11 12:40 AM
    I am Soooo confused ....it has new processor more internal storage better screen, I thought it did hd recording and a newer os ..also has ability to run open GL...runs apps thru the storage and the ram ...vga on a 3.2 is awesome!!! ..wtf am I missing here ??

BayouBengal21 and 1magine like this.
    01-16-11 01:59 AM
    Also this phone is hspa + 14.4 mpbs down which according to today standarts lol is 4G ..come one the hate is stupid !

01-16-11 02:02 AM
    Gotta say that even 720 video recording is pretty useless without jacks to connect the phone's audio and video to a TV or other screen

We have had an audio jack for years. I think that it is high time we had a video out jack too. How useful would that be - huh?
    01-16-11 02:53 AM
    Pete, is not useless at all! I travel with my win7 tablet everywhere, just connect the phone to the tablet, upload the videos... presto. HD would be a plus! I don't believe including HD recording means that you must have a video jack, it will make the phone nicer... but not a big deal.

Niko, totally agree with the VGA on 3.2 but that's as far as it goes... You are saying open GL... where are the apps for that? Apps only for Torch 2? The playbook will run a different OS, so compatibility is doubtful!

I don't have this new phone, but I strongly think if they going to release an upgrade... make it worth it!

4G? By the time 4G is fully implemented... this blackberry will be old. But I get your point.
    01-16-11 06:32 AM
    6.1 is fully implemented within qnx....there will be plenty of apps inclusing angry birds and all that crap when these phones drop ..simply cuz the hardware will be able to support it...u ll be very suprised!

01-16-11 07:06 AM
    ROFLMAO........

You people are completely funny. You scream you need a faster processor, you scream it needs better resolution, you scream it needs more ram(original device), then when RIM produces it, you scream it's a little to late. I'm beginning to think no matter what RIM does people will never be satisfied.

Ooh and as for the front facing camera(not so huge fad at the moment), Video chat has been around for ages and it has never caught on, I dont see "face chat" catching on either, just look at the amount of people who text instead of actually make a call, why would you call and have a face to face with someone when you can text? As someone put it "and they thought they had problems with people driving and texting".

I'm beginning to think no matter what RIM does they will always be compared to apple and the android's, and people will always b*tch about them not stepping up their game when they clearly are.

From wiki.

Simple analog videoconferences could be established as early as the invention of the television. Such videoconferencing systems usually consisted of two closed-circuit television systems connected via coax cable or radio. An example of that was the German Reich Postzentralamt (Post Office) network set up in Berlin and several other cities from 1936 to 1940.[1][2]
    01-16-11 07:18 AM
    While the performance enhancements seem nice (and, yes, they do address most of the complaints people have with the 9800), I was hoping for other improvements as well in a 'version 2', like improvements to the ergnomics (personally, I didn't like the feel of the command keys near the bezel as they didn't seem large enough, nor was I a huge fan of the keyboard as it seemed a bit too small for me to use), adding a second convenience key, moving the usb port... You know, actual enhancements to the exterior hardware.

But I guess that was too much to ask for as they are going the same route as the Storm > Storm 2; 9700 > 9780 so I guess I will need to wait for the Torch 3, unless the new Dakota is the one I settle on...
    01-16-11 02:27 PM
    ROFLMAO........

You people are completely funny. You scream you need a faster processor, you scream it needs better resolution, you scream it needs more ram(original device), then when RIM produces it, you scream it's a little to late. I'm beginning to think no matter what RIM does people will never be satisfied.

Ooh and as for the front facing camera(not so huge fad at the moment), Video chat has been around for ages and it has never caught on, I dont see "face chat" catching on either, just look at the amount of people who text instead of actually make a call, why would you call and have a face to face with someone when you can text? As someone put it "and they thought they had problems with people driving and texting".

I'm beginning to think no matter what RIM does they will always be compared to apple and the android's, and people will always b*tch about them not stepping up their game when they clearly are.

From wiki.

Simple analog videoconferences could be established as early as the invention of the television. Such videoconferencing systems usually consisted of two closed-circuit television systems connected via coax cable or radio. An example of that was the German Reich Postzentralamt (Post Office) network set up in Berlin and several other cities from 1936 to 1940.[1][2]

totally agree with you here about the need for MORE!

I've used video calling back in early 2000. it really is a novelty. Skype is great and if you have enough internet data it might just be worthwhile but right now, its just a fad can't say I've ever been asked to do a video call - temporarily using an old n95 right now and thats a got a front facing camera and it's not been used once since I've had it new all those years ago.
    Last edited by zensen; 01-16-11 at 07:42 PM.
    BayouBengal21 likes this.
    01-16-11 07:38 PM
    6.1 is fully implemented within qnx....there will be plenty of apps inclusing angry birds and all that crap when these phones drop ..simply cuz the hardware will be able to support it...u ll be very suprised!

Where has it been stated that 6.1 has anything to do with QNX? Did I miss this or is this something you have heard? Not calling you out I just haven't been able to find much info on 6.1 other than the slide Kevin posted from Devcon.

I have been wondering what changed with RAM now being stated like it meant something and totally opening up the available application memory.
    01-16-11 09:17 PM
    Where has it been stated that 6.1 has anything to do with QNX? Did I miss this or is this something you have heard? Not calling you out I just haven't been able to find much info on 6.1 other than the slide Kevin posted from Devcon.

I have been wondering what changed with RAM now being stated like it meant something and totally opening up the available application memory.
    He's talking about apps that work for OS6 will work with QNX because QNX can run something like 3 different kinds of apps, including java.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-16-11 09:58 PM
    I spot a little bit of trollin over there.

So video chat has been around for a long time. So what? I still want to be able to see my family and friends on my phone, since I see them only once a year. I don't see your point... Nokia never fully implemented video chat... is there any compatible messenger app? Yahoo? MSN? Gtalk? No that I know of.

What people was asking for is a more up-to-date phone, RIM just included part of it... This upgrades on the device are not significant enough to make the phone a better device. I don't see how this refreshment will address most of the people's complaints.
    01-17-11 02:30 AM
    If anything was trolling them it would seem to be more the demands in your opening post and regardless of how you might see it, mobile video chat has been around for a long time now since the first days of 3g and as a feature it simply hasn't caught the imagination of most people, maybe things will change now apple has decided to hype it as the next big thing and we'll see more companies forced into a me too response to add the second camera, but it clearly isn't a must have feature for most people by any stretch of the imagination.

The odds are that most people who want to use video chat already do so via a computer and webcam or even via a tablet rather than on a little phone screen.
    01-17-11 07:47 AM
    He's talking about apps that work for OS6 will work with QNX because QNX can run something like 3 different kinds of apps, including java.
    He seems to be saying that Angry Birds will run on the phones when they drop because they have already been developed for the Playbook.... Hopefully he'll clarify soon.
    01-17-11 08:23 AM
    ROFLMAO........

From wiki.

Making way to much sense bro...way to much sense!

Agree with everything though.

Cherman likes this.
    01-17-11 09:08 PM
    6.1 is fully implemented within qnx. Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hmm.........Ok. Interesting.
    01-17-11 09:46 PM
    No I meant qnx is deeply inside bb6.1 ..the hardware upgrade allows support for high endgames ...this phone is great ...you will be very suprised..
    02-01-11 11:03 PM
    What I don't get is why everyone is ******** and moaning about camera pixels of all friggen things. If taking pictures is so damn important buy a CAMERA. If you want a phone with a big processor go out and buy one and not one with a low processor then complain about how slow it is.
    02-02-11 02:39 AM
    Anyone that has any actual experience with RIM devices meaning that one has owned at least two models knows that RIM is more conservative in device features by adding new features and improving existing ones to balance their positions in both the business professional and commercial markets.

If you are comfortable with a superior communication device with far better than average ancillary featues, then RIM devices are a good fit. Always screaming that RIM is too slow or not on the cutting edge is good indication that these devices are not a good fit and these people need to move on.

It is fine to wish for specific features to let RIM know what professionals and consumers want but constantly running the company down and its devices is just the start of another pissing contest and not a civil discussion. The specifications released or leaked may not be final and more may be leaked in the coming months. Recent acquistions and partnerships would seem to indicate that much greater things are in store for those of us who are patient enough to wait.

Last edited by jcp007; 02-02-11 at 06:16 AM.
    Cherman likes this.
    02-02-11 06:11 AM
    Anyways, this addons would've been nice:
    -Twice the battery life
    -Front Facing camera
    -HD video recording
    -Optical zoom.

This is my own opinion. Since they coming with a "Torch 2", how about some real upgrades?
    We were complaining about speed, now we're complaining about this. -.-'

Battery Life. Well, for one, unless Batterys actually start IMPROVING THEMSELVES. I'm gonna leave this alone.
    Front Facing Camera -- Don't need it. Wouldn't use it. I know a lot of people who have the iPhone 4. They've all admitted they only used Facetime in the store. If I remember, my dads work, they get BlackBerrys, but cameras are disabled. Cameras are also disabled on the BlackBerrys used by Officers in our county's prison hospital, and prisons.

HD Vid recording? Um, not very useful, it'd take too long to upload anywhere, and if not that, you'd upload to a TV, or a Computer. again, why?

Optical Zoom. I remember a few phones or two that did it. And those still were very fat camera pieces. We'll need to wait for Camera tech to improve more--IE CHEAPER.

Remember, we only got a PHONE at ALL because other tech improved.
    We'd still be using Vacuum Tubes if Transistors didn't come around. **** we would have a Smart Phone today if someones brilliant idea wasn't a microprocessor.
    02-12-11 05:04 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD