Hi guys,

I own a Blackberry Bold 9650 on Verizon and I love it. I always have it on me, and I would be completely lost without it. But that's not the point...

My girlfriend is eligible for an upgrade in March, but she's on AT&T. The phone she has right now isn't a smart phone, so I'm sure anything will be a step up haha. Anyways, she basically fell in LOVE with the white version of the Blackberry Torch, and she really wants it (because it's "cute").

So, owners of this phone, do you guys like it? Is it worth going with over say the iPhone 4 or an Android device?

I know that she is mostly concerned with how it looks haha. That's just how she is. The white one is slick looking, and she fell in love with it. I just want to make sure that she isn't getting herself into a device that will end up being a letdown. I doubt it will, though. I love my Blackberry!
    01-14-11 11:43 PM
    The Torch is a great device. Easy to use, solid, and stable. Plus, it's pretty
    01-14-11 11:51 PM
    Hi guys,

I own a Blackberry Bold 9650 on Verizon and I love it. I always have it on me, and I would be completely lost without it. But that's not the point...

My girlfriend is eligible for an upgrade in March, but she's on AT&T. The phone she has right now isn't a smart phone, so I'm sure anything will be a step up haha. Anyways, she basically fell in LOVE with the white version of the Blackberry Torch, and she really wants it (because it's "cute").

So, owners of this phone, do you guys like it? Is it worth going with over say the iPhone 4 or an Android device?

I know that she is mostly concerned with how it looks haha. That's just how she is. The white one is slick looking, and she fell in love with it. I just want to make sure that she isn't getting herself into a device that will end up being a letdown. I doubt it will, though. I love my Blackberry!
    100% worth it. I was also thinking the same before I bought it. At first I thought of giving it a test drive since I had 14 days to return it but never have I thought of doing so after I got it. Now my old Bold 9000 is sitting in its box in my closet under a bunch of clothes (atleast i'm keeping it warm and cozy :P), its that good. Trust me its got more than what was expected from a bb. She'll love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 12:11 AM
    I love my Torch, had it since launch day. I don't think it will be a letdown for her.
    01-15-11 12:14 AM
    Agreed.. I love my Torch too. Great device and great OS.. I'd get this over iPhone any day
    01-15-11 12:48 AM
    Read the reviews, the Torch is junk.
    01-15-11 12:50 AM
    That may be your opinion. My opinion & many other's is: the Torch is a great device!
    ILoveTorch likes this.
    01-15-11 02:30 AM
    Do you actually own one or just read biased reviews?? Don't call it "junk", unless you have definite knowledge of it. And there are far too many owners of the Torch here, to shut your bull down anyway.

So sick of these dumbasses.

Last edited by girlontherun; 01-15-11 at 02:55 AM.
    01-15-11 02:53 AM
    Totally agreed bro

I had that phone for 7 days and returned it! horrible battery and physical keyboard!
    01-15-11 03:33 AM
    I switched from iPhone back to BB to get the Torch, because onscreen keyboards just weren't my cup of tea.

I prefer my Torch - you don't need to go through the headache of jailbreaking to get decent third party apps. Also, if your lady is aesthetically driven, I think she'll love the Color ID app.

BB Torch loses to iPhone 4 in the following ways - fewer apps, no retina display, no HD video recording and no inward facing camera.
    It wins as follows - a whole new OS, price, SD card slot, universal earbud jack, physical keyboard, the above third party apps, and BBM.

If she's upgrading from a non-smartphone, she won't miss what she's never had!
    Last edited by NashVentress; 01-15-11 at 06:09 AM.
    01-15-11 06:02 AM
    I love my Torch. I came from the iPhone 3G and I loooove BlackBerry so much better than iPhone. There aren't as many apps as the iPhone or Android phones, but I haven't had a problem finding apps I need or love. I hope she enjoys it. My mom just got the white Torch and my sister got the red one. They love them too!

01-15-11 06:51 AM
    Have her check out a Focus. I have yet to meet a female that doesn't fall in love the moment they see it. The OS is even sexier than the commercials make it out to be. There's absolutely no reason that she would prefer the Torch over the Focus or an iPhone or a Captivate since she's not already in the BlackBerry ecosystem, and introducing her to it at this point would simply be cruel.
    01-15-11 08:47 AM
    The Torch is a great, well-rounded phone. It's got a hardware keyboard that RIM is famous for, along with their trackpad. This allows for superior navigation throughout the OS and browser (trackpad is a godsend for browsing websites), along with the keyboard shortcuts and convenience key.
    Battery life is very solid, especially considering how small it is in actuality. The screen is vivid, and everything is very much legible unless you're trying to read microscopic text for some reason. The processor, while not as "fast" as other Androids out there, runs the phone just swimmingly, with no lag at all (unless you're installing an app or something).
    One other great feature is the LED (customizable with an app like BerryBuzz) that shows when you have any sort of notification without you having to turn the screen on, in case you miss the tone or vibration.

In short, yes this phone is very much worth it to me. Just have her try it out for a few days at least.

Last edited by Masahiro; 01-19-11 at 02:20 AM.
    ILoveTorch likes this.
    01-15-11 09:56 AM
    The Torch is a great phone imo. It does everything I need it to do and then some. My wife has the 9780 and I prefer the Torch over the 9780 hands down. I have had previously the 9700, 9630, 9530, 8330, etc. Use a Torch for a while and you will appreciate it more. The build quality of mine is great and have had no problems.
    ILoveTorch likes this.
    01-15-11 10:05 AM
    Hi guys,

It's a no-brainer:
    Readers’ Choice Winner: Best Smart Phone of 2010

She chose the white Torch because it's cute. Show her some respect, she recognizes the Blackberry brand, the Torch is their top of the line and the white one gives her a little extra cachet. Don't try to outsmart your girl.
    01-15-11 10:09 AM
    She will love it. I'm getting one for my wife.

01-15-11 10:21 AM
    Just read in PCmag that the iphone 4 has a new issue, breaking glass. 87% more than any previous iphone (so don't hold it or you can't make calls, but you can't drop it either because it will break, so I guess just imagine what it could do if you could touch it!). Also read that the android devices are a giant security nightmare. And I read that blackberries have the least user friendly email/internet setup (not sure how clicking browser is difficult, or going through the device setup wizard when it pops up the first time, but appearantly some find that too hard). So take your pick. I absolutely love my torch! If they discontinue the torch line (which they won't) I will leave blackberry out of spite! I've owned 5 BB's and this is by far my favorite!

01-15-11 10:26 AM
    I hated BB's before the Torch came out. So yeah, the Torch is a great smart phone. Perfect all-rounder, and very intuitive and easy to use. It does all the usual BB stuff, with the worlds best browser. Plus, the white one looks awesome! I'm sure she'll enjoy it! I saw a couple white ones in the movie theater... the only thing that looks average about it, is the bleeding of light through the physical buttons.
    01-15-11 11:03 AM
    Wow dude. The smart thing is get her what she wants. It doesn't matter if it is a piece of junk or not. Getting her something she wants gets you a lot further than getting her the "best" on the market. Women appraise things different than us men do. Just keep this in mind.
    Enough of the facts. Now I'll give you my opinion. The Torch is just awesome it does what all the other BBs does wrapped into 1. I worked my way from a 8310 thru 8520 to a 9700. I had always wanted a storm but do busness w/ att. I had just gave up all hope and nearly forgot about the storm when I got my 9700. I only jad it for 3 months when the Torch came out. Took me about 3 weeks to finally get one. I haven't even charged the 9700 up. Really its a solid device..

01-15-11 01:52 PM
    worth for buy this torch since its friendly smartphone
    it came with touch screen and qwerty keyboard make ur life more easier..
    some more the battery oso can replace when ur 1st battery die ...not like iphone battery torch will make u n ur gf 24 hours connecting..and dun forget the BBM * its so sexy ...
    01-15-11 08:25 PM
    The smart thing is get her what she wants.
    agreed, if she wants it then theres no other discussion.

way i see it is this, say ya talk her into summat else, and she doesnt like it, thats ur fault. if she picks it and doesnt like it then its not ur fault (well, mayb not lol)
    01-15-11 08:32 PM
    ^^^same. If the Torch is the phone she wants, get it. She has 30 days to try it and keep it or exchange it if she'd like.
    In my opinion, it's a wonderful phone, very user friendly and, since this is her first smartphone, she might like that it's easy to personalize on top of everything that it can do. Let her take it for a spin.
    01-15-11 09:35 PM
    Wow dude. The smart thing is get her what she wants. It doesn't matter if it is a piece of junk or not. Getting her something she wants gets you a lot further than getting her the "best" on the market. Women appraise things different than us men do. Just keep this in mind.
    We have a winner !!

Sure the Torch doesnt have a ton of games, but thats what PC's & xbox are for. Calling ,texting, IM, Facebook, weather are great on the Torch IMO.
    Plus people can debate forever on this. Ford vs Chevy Pepsi vs Coke.
    I say do what makes her happy. Besides if she has never had a smartphone before, she will be thrilled !!
    01-15-11 09:54 PM

way i see it is this, say ya talk her into summat else, and she doesnt like it, thats ur fault. if she picks it and doesnt like it then its not ur fault (well, mayb not lol)
    She's a woman. Of course she's gonna find another BB she likes soon enough. It was a good thing apple kept refreshing the iphone. I think that's whst kept my wife interrested in it.

01-16-11 12:56 AM

I have found through experience that is not always the case. Many times it is your fault no matter what.
    01-16-11 11:20 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD