I thought this might be of interest to those of us who use the global data package and who turn it off and on as needed. I just called to turn it off for a few weeks while back in the states and was told that the unlimited data package is going away effective January 17th. If I turned it off I would be unable to get it back, but if I left it active I would be grandfathered and be able to keep it. Otherwise there will be a set data package for north america and europe and pay by use elsewhere.

I searched and found no mention of this before, it seems like a sudden rude surprise.
    01-14-11 08:45 PM
    Sux. Where just an account number to them.
    01-14-11 08:59 PM
    So if it's not unlimited anymore, what are the new rates and limits? I've used the unlimited global plan. Was nice to have and it was prorated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 09:01 PM
    From what they told me, there will be a package for 75MB and good in US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, and Europe (I forgot the exact price, about $30, I believe). Anywhere else will be pay $.02 per KB.

I really liked the prorating as well, I turned it off and on frequently. People like me who have it turned off right now are going to be hosed when they try to turn it back on after the 17th.

VZW is changing a lot of things right now and none of them sound good.
    01-14-11 09:11 PM
    Yeah, that's no good. Thanks for the heads up.

01-14-11 09:14 PM
    Wow, they're really taking advantage of the iPhone hype to screw over customers.
    01-15-11 10:19 AM
    That bullsh*t. I'll be keeping my unlimited data, just like I have the past 3 years!
    01-15-11 10:22 AM
    Agreed. Cept I'll have to change when I upgrade.

01-15-11 10:30 AM
    But why should we have to change out data because we want to upgrade to a different phone? That is just crazy to me...I have to change my plan that I have had for the past three years because I want the newest phone! BS!
    01-15-11 10:33 AM
    but why should we have to change out data because we want to upgrade to a different phone? That is just crazy to me...i have to change my plan that i have had for the past three years because i want the newest phone! Bs!
    4g! .
    01-15-11 10:43 AM
    4g! .
    Yea but 4G won't really be coming out until like 2013 or somewhere along those lines.

I still don't think it's fair that we have to pay more for less.
    01-15-11 10:45 AM
    It is out now - more areas by 2013 - 140 cities by the end of this year. 4G devies soon. the device will drive the rate.
    01-15-11 11:24 AM
    What are you guys even talking about? This is for the global data package, not your normal every day one. This is for roaming out of the country. It has nothing to do with the 150mb or unlimited packages currently offered for the US. Nothing is changing and it has nothing to do with you upgrading or the iPhone coming out. It's just global data.
    01-15-11 11:56 AM
    I'm getting LTE Android in April. LTE will be in my area then too. I'm betting my data plan will need to be changed at that time.

01-15-11 12:36 PM
    What are you guys even talking about? This is for the global data package, not your normal every day one. This is for roaming out of the country. It has nothing to do with the 150mb or unlimited packages currently offered for the US. Nothing is changing and it has nothing to do with you upgrading or the iPhone coming out. It's just global data.
    Yeah, we know. Some of us use our BlackBerry phones globally and domestically.

01-15-11 12:37 PM
    Yeah, we know. Some of us use our BlackBerry phones globally and domestically.

Just wanted to clarify. It sounded like some people were thinking that the domestic plans were changing Hopefully we will see some news about the LTE plans soon.
    01-15-11 12:42 PM
    Gotcha. No problem. I hope the Storm 3 comes out LTE.

01-15-11 12:43 PM
    okay gang here is link to the new rates. Enjoy your reading.

New Global Rates
    01-18-11 08:00 PM
    okay gang here is link to the new rates. Enjoy your reading.

New Global Rates
    Wow, $100/month for 70 MB in Europe. That's just a kick in the balls.
    01-18-11 08:12 PM
    Wow, $100/month for 70 MB in Europe. That's just a kick in the balls.
    There isn't even a plan for the Pacific Rim, Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, etc...all pay per KB? Yikes! I'm so ticked at myself for not remembering to call VZW yesterday and keep the Global plan active ongoing...curses!!

What's crazy about this though, is that for the European portions at least, this is still less expensive than AT&T, T-Mobile and from what I can see, Sprint in some cases.

Alas, it is much less of a differentiating factor for VZW...disappointing.

What may be a redeeming factor in the future however, is the reality that it's been stated that VZW will leverage its owner relationship through Vodafone for LTE coverage globally, so maybe.....
    01-18-11 09:56 PM
    Disappointing but not surprising. Was only a matter of time before VZW did this. AT&T changed to similarly absurd international data plans over the summer.
    01-18-11 10:17 PM
    Disappointing but not surprising. Was only a matter of time before VZW did this. AT&T changed to similarly absurd international data plans over the summer.
    So did Sprint. Still rocking the unlimited global but just as with VZW, if I ever remove it, it's gone forever.
    01-18-11 11:55 PM
    That's rough. Thanks for the info though. My 9630 doesn't have wifi so I've no experience with it. Would I be able to use my phone that does have wifi (upgrading soon) overseas instead of getting the VZW Global plan? Would I still be able to get email and maybe internet that way?

01-20-11 06:39 AM
    That's rough. Thanks for the info though. My 9630 doesn't have wifi so I've no experience with it. Would I be able to use my phone that does have wifi (upgrading soon) overseas instead of getting the VZW Global plan? Would I still be able to get email and maybe internet that way?

Take this for what it is, but last summer I had a couple of projects that was up in the mountains, no coverage what-so-ever. We set up a BGAN satellite terminal and plugged a regular Netgear router into it so more than one of us could use it. My BB at the time (Storm2 9550) had no trouble getting linked up with BIS/BES, all data worked from BBM, email and internet. The only data feature I couldn't use (with the GPS antenna turned on) were the maps, BB Maps, Google maps, VZ Nav, etc...didn't work. I was able to use this daily over a period of months and also used a T-Mobile 9700s UMA feature so we could make phone calls without having to use those sh*tty brick Iridium Sat phones. Latency for voice was crazy though...

Based on that, I believe you would be able to utilize any wifi for data from anywhere.

If there is some technical component that prevents this, someone chime in...
    01-20-11 08:24 AM
    yes you can use WIFI
    01-20-11 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD