01-14-11 11:50 AM
    Aiming and achieving are 2 completely different things. I'm gonna buy one myself, but I don't think they'll achieve it. Maybe 100'000
    01-14-11 12:29 PM
    i think that is feasible, being the crowds at CES and business interests
    01-14-11 12:35 PM
    Going to be a lot of old stock to get rid of in Q2
    01-14-11 01:11 PM
    Quanta Computer

Established in 1988, Quanta Computer today is the largest notebook computer ODM company in the world. With leading technology and strong R&D, Quanta has become a leader in hi-tech markets. Besides continuous high growth, high quality and high value creation in notebook computers, Quanta has extended its businesses into enterprise network systems, home entertainment, mobile communication, automotive electronics and digital home markets.

"Rooted in Taiwan ...
    Once you get the hardware dialed in, these are the folks that will make it so.... Another Million next Quarter? No Problem.
    01-14-11 01:18 PM
    And they probably have data that supports this optimism. More power to 'em.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 01:27 PM
    1 Million for North America or World Wide? I can see 1 million sold World Wide.
    01-14-11 02:13 PM
    They would not be producing that many if they did not have the conviction or supports from the corporate world. Remember, RIM already shipped PBs to all their corporate accounts for beta testing in January if not earlier so the 1 MM was probably resulted from the pre-order by these companies, world wide and not limited to NA. of 1 MM units, I say 75% are locked to pre-order and the 25% is for retail. All of these sales will take us to end of Q2 where 3G version should be available for retail non-BB owners. That said, some might wait and buy the 4G or LTE version with Sprint in 2nd half of 2011.
    01-14-11 02:24 PM
    I'll take 2, thanks...
    01-14-11 02:28 PM
    RIM to ship 1 million PlayBook tablets in 1Q11

This is the Digi times report

I think RIM is being Optimistic with 1,000,000 units produced on the first run, I suspect it is a volume production deal with Quanta who is a very reputable manufacturer.
    The good part about 1,000,000 units being produced for the Q1 launch is that there will be ample supply for anyone wanting them launch day, that means NO NEED to line up, chances are your city wont run out.

I'll be sourcing 2 or 3 contacts when a release date is announced, to make sure I get my hands on one,

1,000,000 units in reality isn't that much, with 55 Million BB users world wide, and even if only 20% are in North America, that is 10 Million BB users, trying to get 10% of existing users on board, plus try and attract new users, 1,000,000 is a fair goal, though I am betting we wont see them placing the second Million in 2011
    01-14-11 02:32 PM
    Quanta Computer

Quanta Computer

Quote:
    Established in 1988, Quanta Computer today is the largest notebook computer ODM company in the world. With leading technology and strong R&D, Quanta has become a leader in hi-tech markets. Besides continuous high growth, high quality and high value creation in notebook computers, Quanta has extended its businesses into enterprise network systems, home entertainment, mobile communication, automotive electronics and digital home markets.

"Rooted in Taiwan ...

Once you get the hardware dialed in, these are the folks that will make it so.... Another Million next Quarter? No Problem.
    Based on this company doing the manufacturing one could have some confidence that the over all build quality would be better than say if they were made in Mexico or China... R & D.. Marketing aside buying these in blocks of a million must really make these rather inexpensive for RIM to purchase unless they had to do any post manufacturing upgrades or fixes.
    01-14-11 02:45 PM
    somebody's job is on the line with that decision.
    01-14-11 02:56 PM
    RIM to ship 1 million PlayBook tablets in 1Q11

This is the Digi times report

I think RIM is being Optimistic with 1,000,000 units produced on the first run, I suspect it is a volume production deal with Quanta who is a very reputable manufacturer.
    The good part about 1,000,000 units being produced for the Q1 launch is that there will be ample supply for anyone wanting them launch day, that means NO NEED to line up, chances are your city wont run out.

I'll be sourcing 2 or 3 contacts when a release date is announced, to make sure I get my hands on one,

1,000,000 units in reality isn't that much, with 55 Million BB users world wide, and even if only 20% are in North America, that is 10 Million BB users, trying to get 10% of existing users on board, plus try and attract new users, 1,000,000 is a fair goal, though I am betting we wont see them placing the second Million in 2011

10% in the first quarter? lol. most of them are waiting for their contracts to expire so they can get a droid or iphone. you really think the BBW lovin, bored married folk BBMrs are going to rush out and get a playbook?
    01-14-11 02:58 PM
    01-14-11 03:11 PM
    I wonder where that number came from or if the author just made it up? He cites no source for that production price. It seems to fly in the face of the sub $500 retail price point RIM stated earlier.
    01-14-11 03:27 PM
    Well, with the orders posted here and mine, they will only have to sell 999,995 Playbooks! Its doable!
    01-14-11 03:48 PM
    Hey I am buying one so reduce that # to 999,994 to be sold.
    01-14-11 04:01 PM
    By the time RIM and the retailers step on it plus add logistics to the mix we will be lucky to see them for $600. Unless they have a firesale...provided the 400 to 450 is correct..

Last edited by orpflog; 01-14-11 at 04:17 PM.
    01-14-11 04:06 PM
    Make that 999,993
    01-14-11 04:08 PM
    10% in the first quarter? lol. most of them are waiting for their contracts to expire so they can get a droid or iphone. you really think the BBW lovin, bored married folk BBMrs are going to rush out and get a playbook?
    I didn't say they would sell them in the first quarter, I actually expect the Million to last 2011, since a 4G version would eat some of the sales when released.

as for everyone looking to Ditch RIM once contracts expire, means ALL torch sales were new users who don't own TVs?? or all Style users? and 93XX users? all those phone are H22010 and still sold in NA
    but keep your blatant bashing of RIM,
    01-14-11 05:12 PM
    Rim wants to sell 1 million units this quarter...thats great news for us means an earlier release date than march...most probably early february...think about it if rim releases in march reaching the 1 million mark is tough, **** its tough regardless but the sooner they release (sprints big announcement feb 7th) the closer to their target they can actually be. If we go by the same assumption as the at&t announcement for the torch they released roughly a week after so we may potentially see this device sooner than expected (fingers crossed).
    01-14-11 05:29 PM
    By the time RIM and the retailers step on it plus add logistics to the mix we will be lucky to see them for $600. Unless they have a firesale...provided the 400 to 450 is correct..

NO way if $400 is correct will we See $600 as retail

Simple smallest supply chain management

RIM buys device from Quanta for $400
    We'll use RIM's net profit Margin as their GROSS margin value for this example.
    $400 * 15% Margin = $470.60
    RIM sells to a Distribution Centre who also needs to make 15% margin
    So the Distribution Centre sells it for $553.66
    Now the Distribution Centre sells it to the Carriers for that value and the Carrier stores/ Best buys need 15% Margin
    so the Carriers sell it for $651.38

Now in the REAL world not this hypothetical easy math World, most company's run on a 30% gross margin or better if I punch in 30% instead of 15% into each location we now get a retail price of $1,166.25

My expectations for the Playbooks cost Duty paid deliver would be around $200-250, and RIM to take a lower margin on the low end model, and increase their margins on the higher end models to average out a 30% margin
    01-14-11 05:29 PM
    Considering the cost of manufacturing an iPad is estimated at $260, I highly doubt that it costs RIM $400 for every Playbook. Flash memory prices continue to go down, and the Playbook is a smaller device. I don't expect exactly the same costs invovled, but 35% more to manufacture a playbook seems a little excessive.
    01-14-11 05:34 PM
    Rim wants to sell 1 million units this quarter...thats great news for us means an earlier release date than march...most probably early february...think about it if rim releases in march reaching the 1 million mark is tough, **** its tough regardless but the sooner they release (sprints big announcement feb 7th) the closer to their target they can actually be. If we go by the same assumption as the at&t announcement for the torch they released roughly a week after so we may potentially see this device sooner than expected (fingers crossed).
    you are mixing the "1st quarter" up i think. this would be fiscal, not calender i would guess
    01-14-11 05:46 PM
    I didn't say they would sell them in the first quarter, I actually expect the Million to last 2011, since a 4G version would eat some of the sales when released.

as for everyone looking to Ditch RIM once contracts expire, means ALL torch sales were new users who don't own TVs?? or all Style users? and 93XX users? all those phone are H22010 and still sold in NA
    but keep your blatant bashing of RIM,
    I didn't say everyone. did I? I said most. and the data clearly backs that up in the US where they are quickly becoming irrelevant. there is zero chance they will sell 1m units in q1. I bet anything the battery life is going to be weak and it will be overpriced. It will likely also be late.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 01-14-11 at 05:51 PM.
    01-14-11 05:49 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD