Folks,

Here are the Monaco specs as reported today by BGR.......

Specs include:

�1.2GHz processor
    �3.7-inch 800 x 480 capacitive display
    �Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    �Tri-band UMTS/HSPA
    �5-megapixel camera with 720p video recording
    �8GB eMMC (storage for apps and data), 512MB of RAM
    �microSD slot
    �Magnetometer
    �Proximity sensor
    �Accelerometer
    �Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    �2.4GHz b/g/n and 5GHz a/n Wi-Fi + UMA
    �3G Mobile hotspot
    �Optical trackpad
    �1230 mAh battery
    �BlackBerry OS 6.1
    �OpenGL ES 2.0
    M.Rizk and glassofpinot like this.
    01-14-11 10:39 AM
    A 1230 mAh battery for a 1.2 GHz powered 3.7" 800x480 touchscreen?

That's less than the woefully underpowered, battery-hog Storm2 that has a 528 MHz with a 480x360 touchscreen.

Probably one spec of many that will change before production.

And a single cpu compared to the Tegra2 duals coming out en masse on Android.

RIM's gonna be left at the starting line again...
    01-14-11 11:07 AM
    A 1230 mAh battery for a 1.2 GHz powered 3.7" 800x480 touchscreen?

That's less than the woefully underpowered, battery-hog Storm2 that has a 528 MHz with a 480x360 touchscreen.

Probably one spec of many that will change before production.

And a single cpu compared to the Tegra2 duals coming out en masse on Android.

RIM's gonna be left at the starting line again...
    I was thinking the same, my Storm 1 is a 1400 mAh battert
    01-14-11 11:51 AM
    According to leaks its not coming out till end of Q3. Plenty of time to add different battery, if it comes out at all. I think this is headed to T-Mobile.
    01-14-11 12:17 PM
    I had a feeling this was going to come today. Sal mentioned 4 devices are in the works. We got 3 yesterday and today was the fourth. My storm1 will be 3 years old when this thing hits the market. Cant wait to get my hands on it!
    01-14-11 12:20 PM
    It IS a GSM, so that alone will improve battery life, but I do agree they could have used a bigger one, but I think they want this thing to be very slim. Should create a nice market for Siedio, etc to make extended life batteries.

EDIT: There may be a WiMax or LTE version of this device or a device similar to this in the work too, although probably a bit further out, at least I have heard whispers.
    01-14-11 12:20 PM
    It would not surprise me to see multiple versions, not just GSM. I would love this if it was available next month, but Q3 is too late. I would have also liked to see a front facing camera and 4" screen. Not bad spec's however. Let's hope they cram a dual core processor, larger battery and LTE chip in there in the next few months.

I still think I will be on Android before this sees the light of day. The Q3 rumored launch has all but made that decision for me.
    01-14-11 12:28 PM
    Well that really is the question isn't it? Is this in production, for Q1 release, or is it at least 9 months away? Will this be RIM's saving grace, or will this be too little too late for the US and European markets. Will this be the comeback we had hoped for, or is RIM becoming Palm?
    01-14-11 12:33 PM
    Specs are very reasonable, it's just not LTE. Or QNX. S2's java OS versions have left a sour taste; and I'm waiting for LTE to roll out here - if this doesn't ship LTE-capable then it's a no-go regardless of its software (for me). The body is rather easy on the eyes at least. Civic might be demanding royalties for giving RIM the idea though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-11 12:49 PM
    The rumor is that Verizon is supposed to come out with 4G capable phones. I was hoping this was one of them but as usual RIM is behind everyone else.
    01-14-11 01:07 PM
    This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read... I'm wondering if I should wait to get it though.. However, I'm a diehard "storm" follower.. I've got to have them all. I can't believe I just cried. Such a girl... I was hoping for LTE or QNX but in all honesty OS 6 will do.. I'm dying to see it.
    01-14-11 01:23 PM
    These specs are great if this phone were to come out next week but seeing as we're eyeing a September release here I think it's just going to recieve the same reception that the Storm2 got. Some smartphones are currently up to 2ghz processors right now.
    01-14-11 05:47 PM
    According to leaks its not coming out till end of Q3. Plenty of time to add different battery, if it comes out at all. I think this is headed to T-Mobile.
    Hopefully enough time to add another 512MB of memory & LTE & QNX & a 4" Screen... If this was coming out this month OK, but in September??
    01-14-11 06:15 PM
    OK, why do you need a track pad on a touch screen device?
    01-14-11 06:27 PM
    These specs are great if this phone were to come out next week but seeing as we're eyeing a September release here I think it's just going to recieve the same reception that the Storm2 got. Some smartphones are currently up to 2ghz processors right now.
    The pimp's got a point. I waited a long time for this BlackBerry. Q3? I'll have had an Android for 5 months by then. I will be interested to see the Storm in 2013 though.

01-14-11 08:12 PM
    A trackpad (or even an up/down right/left arrow key/rocker, is MUCH easier to move up or down a list than the touch screen. I love the touchscreen, but it is tough sometimes when you just want to move over/up one character or row.
    01-14-11 09:29 PM
    A trackpad (or even an up/down right/left arrow key/rocker, is MUCH easier to move up or down a list than the touch screen. I love the touchscreen, but it is tough sometimes when you just want to move over/up one character or row.
    OK, hadn't thought about using it for edits...that beats fat fingers
    ravenlore likes this.
    01-15-11 04:02 PM
    What do you need a magnetometer for?
    01-16-11 03:37 PM
    If you're lost deep in the woods, with no provisions but your S3, you'd want that magnetometer!

01-16-11 04:31 PM
    But what does a magnetometer do?
    01-16-11 05:36 PM
    But what does a magnetometer do?
    Digital Compass. Ever notice how google maps only show direction when your moving? Now it will be able to show it while still too.
    01-16-11 06:55 PM
    Hope the T2 gets it
    01-16-11 07:08 PM
    I thought I heard that OS6.1 actually was QNX, but looks like OS6 vs what we've seen it look like on the PB... anyone else hear this? Or did I get hit in the head and suddenly develop an imagination?

Are the specs of the phone really that important? Lets say Android or Apple make a phone with 2GHz dual core processor and 2GB memory, but still has the same issues those phones have been having, but this S3 with only 1.2GHz single core processor and 512mb memory runs flawlessly (assuming it actually is QNX in a BB6 theme). Are we really going to care? Maybe we should hold out on saying this is a fail until we actually see how it WORKS. Granted, that's a long way away (I hope its not), but that's what's really important.

/rant

I'm still excited for the phone. I just hope it comes out sooner than Sept and that they make an LTE version because I'm not planning on changing phones (unless I have to) until LTE is up and running for handsets. Whether that's a BB or not, we'll see what's available.
    01-16-11 08:16 PM
    For thiq phone to come out so late in the year and without lte is an embarrassment

01-18-11 02:49 AM
    I thought I heard that OS6.1 actually was QNX, but looks like OS6 vs what we've seen it look like on the PB... anyone else hear this? Or did I get hit in the head and suddenly develop an imagination?
    This has been mentioned a few times, but I have seen nothing definite or even like this in the any of the Blackberry releases through BGR. Here is the last post where nikosg21 says that it is running on top of qnx.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f236/no...6/#post5958951
    01-18-11 07:22 PM
99 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD