soooo, I THOUGHT i was waiting for AT&T to come out with the 9780...but should I really be waiting for the Dakota?
    my bold 9000 is on it's last legs, but i refuse to get a torch.

what's it going to be, AT&T...?
    01-13-11 03:02 PM
    dakota all the whey
    01-13-11 03:47 PM
    If the Dakota information is true, I can't justify getting the 9780 whenever they finally drop it. I'm in a similar position, just worse, using my dying 8310. Been up for an upgrade since the release date of the Torch and I just don't want it. I was waiting for the 9780 till the holidays. Now I'm just sticking it out for the next device because the 9780 is irrelevant in comparison to these coming devices (if they're the real deal).
    01-13-11 03:55 PM
    Obviously, future devices are better than current devices. The real question is....how long are you willing to bear with your current device? IMHO, get the current best device at the moment, other wise you will be waiting forever as there is always a better phone around the next corner
    01-13-11 04:02 PM
    Your lucky. I just got a 9700 6 months ago.. Got a while before I can upgrade. :/ may have to shovel out some cash for this one tho.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-11 04:53 PM
    Op,

I'm the same exact way. 2 years now with the beautiful bold and can't let go of it
    Now I have something to replace it. I'm going to wait with you.

01-13-11 04:59 PM
    Obviously, future devices are better than current devices. The real question is....how long are you willing to bear with your current device? IMHO, get the current best device at the moment, other wise you will be waiting forever as there is always a better phone around the next corner
    Agreed. Couldn't have written better myself.

That's why I buy them all! Haaa.
    01-13-11 05:11 PM
    Do we know if it is an ATT phone yet?
    jonathanbb likes this.
    01-13-11 05:16 PM
    @chadecoen these are just "renderings", digital creations of what they might look like. I don't know if any physical devices exist yet, but I'm sure we'll see pics of the actual devices soon. (just gotta wait for some insiders to sneak a few pics)
    chadecoen likes this.
    01-13-11 06:31 PM
    Ok, this has got me thinking. I got my AT&T Torch from Best Buy on 12/31/10. It has been 13-14 days & the phone is not for me. Looking at the renew contract from Best Buy, I see I got 30 days to return the phone. Please note that I came from a Bold 9000 ( And LOVE it). I could make the 9000 work a little longer. But the main thing I'm wondering is: Will I get my upgrade status back if I return the Torch?
    01-13-11 07:10 PM
    Sorry 9780, U never came to att so now ill have to pass and then get the DAKOTA!

01-13-11 07:36 PM
    Ok, this has got me thinking. I got my AT&T Torch from Best Buy on 12/31/10. It has been 13-14 days & the phone is not for me. Looking at the renew contract from Best Buy, I see I got 30 days to return the phone. Please note that I came from a Bold 9000 ( And LOVE it). I could make the 9000 work a little longer. But the main thing I'm wondering is: Will I get my upgrade status back if I return the Torch?
    Make sure they reset your upgrade status, but yes, you will get it back.

HyTrojan likes this.
    01-13-11 08:19 PM
    How do we all seemingly know this is only on the deathstar?

01-13-11 08:31 PM
    Your lucky. I just got a 9700 6 months ago.. Got a while before I can upgrade. :/ may have to shovel out some cash for this one tho.

<sarcasm mode on> On the other hand, it may just take that long before OS 6.1 has no major bugs, and the Dakota hits the market <sarcasm mode off>
    ;-)
    I know it is going to be my next BB after my current 9700
    01-14-11 03:35 AM
    If the Dakota information is true, I can't justify getting the 9780 whenever they finally drop it. I'm in a similar position, just worse, using my dying 8310. Been up for an upgrade since the release date of the Torch and I just don't want it. I was waiting for the 9780 till the holidays. Now I'm just sticking it out for the next device because the 9780 is irrelevant in comparison to these coming devices (if they're the real deal).
    Agree. If RIM was really devious about managing their leakage they would have launched the 9780 on ATT a couple of months BEFORE leaking this 9000 "II".

PS: I'm wondering if Crackberry and the dedicated fanbase here is ultimately responsible for this phone's development since RIM seemed to be convinced that we all wanted our Bold's to be... less bold in size with the 9700/9780?

01-14-11 11:12 AM
    Dude - Don't waste an upgrade on the 9780 when the Dakota will be here in the summer!
    The 9780 is great, wonderful (I have one) but when the Dakota is so close hold on to your 9000. Also, you won't have to adjust at all to a new size weight, keyboard etc when it does come out as you're all accustomed to it anyway
    01-14-11 12:17 PM
    i agree...IF it comes out in the summer then i will hold out. i really do love my bold and wasn't looking forward to the slightly smaller 9780. i will just have to deal with my wonky trackball for a few...more...months...
    01-14-11 01:17 PM
    for me the 9700 form factor just did not cut it. so the 9780 is out of the question.im really looking forward to the dakota. it just suits me.
    01-14-11 11:14 PM
    Yeah I was tempted to go ahead and get the 9780 soon...., but something this week completely changed my mind.
    01-14-11 11:17 PM
    Yeah I was tempted to go ahead and get the 9780 soon...., but something this week completely changed my mind.
    I never wanted the 9780. Can't stand the smaller keyboard. Dakota all the way. Nothing beats the 9000 keyboard.
    01-15-11 05:30 PM
    I have always said I like my 9000 keyboard better than the other ones. I wonder if at&t will get this one or not. After them not releasing the 9780, I just can't help but wonder.
    01-15-11 08:24 PM
    The Dakota is a phone I would be willing to switch to AT&T in order to get. My carrier, Sprint, has been wonderful all these years, but they are being forced to focus only on Android devices because RIM & Apple will not show them any love (plus they have that undesirable CDMA format network that the rest of the world shuns).

Dakota's bigger touch screen (I refuse to buy a non-touch screen phone going forward), larger keyboard, and clean, simple lines equal A MUST HAVE PHONE!

01-16-11 10:49 AM
    The Dakota is a phone I would be willing to switch to AT&T in order to get. My carrier, Sprint, has been wonderful all these years, but they are being forced to focus only on Android devices because RIM & Apple will not show them any love (plus they have that undesirable CDMA format network that the rest of the world shuns).

Dakota's bigger touch screen (I refuse to buy a non-touch screen phone going forward), larger keyboard, and clean, simple lines equal A MUST HAVE PHONE!

This is exactly what I did 2 years ago. I switched to ATT after 10 years on Verizon with superb service. I ETF'd ATT on the 18th month after dropping so many calls it got ridiculous (approx 20 a day, i'm actually 'mobile' all day).
    Although this new leak lineup of the 9000 refresh looks exactly like what I've been waiting for, no way will I switch from Verizon again. I will, however, get one of those Droids, or another smartphone with a larger keyboard than this very buggy 9650. I was actually thinking of switching to a 8703e 3g Rev 0. or an 8830
    01-16-11 11:15 AM
    Had a 9000 for 2 years and LOVED it - managed to ruin the phone just as my 2 years approached (3-yr contract) = eligible for an HUP. Was thinking about the 9700 for a long time but then the 9780 came out.

Long story short, got the 9780 about a month ago. So I either return the phone, go with a dumbphone until Dakota comes out. Or, I stick with the 9780, and when the Dakota comes out I buy it off-contract and sell the 9780 - which should still be in decent shape after a few months.

Suggestions welcome...
    01-17-11 02:22 PM
    If you're going to go to the refreshed 9000 (Dakota) then get the 9780. It will be worth far more than any dumbphone when you go to resell it. You'll also be used to navigating the newer OS, even though this will arrive with 6.1
    01-18-11 07:04 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD