Can somebody post a foolproof baby-step way of modding the Rogers 9780 .alx to allow for AT&T VVM complete with icon and full functionality? And, please roll it out so that even some of us non-techies can follow easily?

Also...will this mod have to be done with every update to the OS?

Thanks!
    Last edited by davistld01; 01-13-11 at 01:41 PM.
    01-13-11 10:51 AM
    Come on, guys! There should be enough of you Crackberry Experts that know how to do this. Help the rest of us out, will ya?
    01-13-11 04:08 PM
    Hello there--

So, I've been tinkering around with this for the last few hours and have managed to get the Visual Voicemail application onto my unlocked Rogers BlackBerry Bold 9780 running on AT&T's network. What I have not been able to do is get VVM properly working. Regardless, I thought I would share my steps so others can start messing around with it.

1. Download and install Rogers' 9780 BlackBerry 6 software on your PC from here.

2. Navigate to here:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    find the folder that corresponds with the Rogers BlackBerry 6 software you just installed. In my case the folder was named: 9780M_v6.0.0.285_P6.5.0.54.

3. Look for the file named: net_rim_bb_vvm.alx.

4. Open the file in a good text editor (I would highly recommend you do not use Notepad or Wordpad as they muck with character encoding).

5. On your BlackBerry: hold the left alt + right shift + h until you see a window pop up. Make a note of your Vendor ID. If you're using a Rogers BlackBerry it is 107, if you are using a 9780 from a different vendor I'm not sure what it will be.

Here is what we are about to do. This file specifies which vendors' BlackBerrys get visual voicemail installed. It does this by referencing a vendor number. We are going to add the vendor number of your BlackBerry to this file so the Visual Voicemail Software is installed after you reinstall your operating system (yes, as far as I know you have to reinstall your operating system). On we go...

6. Go back to your text editor and search for 102. I found 29 instances of this string in my net_rim_bb_vvm.alx file. On any line that includes 102 (which is AT&T's vendor ID) you need to add 107. For example, if the original line looks like this:

Code:
    <fileset Java="1.0" _vendorID="0|100|102|1" langid="0x0010" series="Onyx">
    you need to change it to this

Code:
    <fileset Java="1.0" _vendorID="0|100|102|1|107" langid="0x0010" series="Onyx">
    (note you have to add a | as well)

Repeat step six until all instances of 102 have been amended with your vendor ID (in Rogers case 107).

7. Open your BlackBerry desktop manager and reload your BlackBerry software (steps here).

8. When your BlackBerry reboots you should have the Visual Voicemail Icon.

Why isn't mine working?

For whatever reason, even though provisioned properly, I can not get my 9780 to display VVMs. I get a text message with an "Error 102 Invalid Number" whenever I launch the application and try to register it. I will admit I use Google Voice and have a pretty easy and comparable workaround so I didn't really put as much effort into getting this to work as I could have. I'm posting this as search results indicate that there are many (frustrated) users trying to do this. Maybe one of you would be willing to go the extra mile and try to figure it out.

Also, I've attached my net_rim_bb_vvm.alx as a text-file for reference.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hackntossh; 01-19-11 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Misspelling.
    01-18-11 04:53 AM
    Hello there--

So, I've been tinkering around with this for the last few hours and have managed to get the Visual Voicemail application onto my unlocked Rogers BlackBerry Bold 9780 running on AT&T's network. What I have not been able to do is get VVM properly working. Regardless, I thought I would share my steps so others can start messing around with it.

1. Download and install Rogers' 9780 BlackBerry 6 software on your PC from here.

2. Navigate to here:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files
    find the folder that corresponds with the Rogers BlackBerry 6 software you just installed. In my case the folder was named: 9780M_v6.0.0.285_P6.5.0.54.

3. Look for the file named: net_rim_bb_vvm.alx.

4. Open the file in a good text editor (I would highly recommend you do not use Notepad or Wordpad as they muck with character encoding).

5. On your BlackBerry: hold the left alt + right shift + h until you see a window pop up. Make a note of your Vendor ID. If you're using a Rogers BlackBerry it is 107, if you are using a 9780 from a different vendor I'm not sure what it will be.

Here is what we are about to do. This file specifies which vendors' BlackBerrys get visual voicemail installed. It does this by referencing a vendor number. We are going to add the vendor number of your BlackBerry to this file so the Visual Voicemail Software is installed after you reinstall your operating system (yes, as far as I know you have to reinstall your operating system). On we go...

6. Go back to your text editor and search for 102. I found 29 instances of this string in my net_rim_bb_vvm.alx file. On any line that includes 102 (which is AT&T's vendor ID) you need to add 107. For example, if the original line looks like this:

Code:
    <fileset Java="1.0" _vendorID="0|100|102|1" langid="0x0010" series="Onyx">
    you need to change it to this

Code:
    <fileset Java="1.0" _vendorID="0|100|102|1|107" langid="0x0010" series="Onyx">
    (note you have to add a | as well)

Repeat step six until all instances of 102 have been amended with your vendor ID (in Rogers case 107).

7. Open your BlackBerry desktop manager and reload your BlackBerry software (steps here).

8. When your BlackBerry reboots you should have the Visual Voicemail Icon.

Why isn't mine working?

For whatever reason, even though provisioned properly, I can not get my 9780 to display VVMs. I get a text message with an "Error 102 Invalid Number" whenever I launch the application and try to register it. I will admit I use Google Voice and have a pretty easy and comparable workaround so I didn't really put as much effort into getting this to work as I could have. I'm posing this as search results indicate that there are many (frustrated) users trying to do this. Maybe one of you would be willing to go the extra mile and try to figure it out.

Also, I've attached my net_rim_bb_vvm.alx as a text-file for reference.

Good luck!
    Thank you very much for your efforts on trying to assist the community here, greatly appreciated! Will try out your methods when I get a chance and post my results, thanks again!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 01:13 PM
    Thanks for your help, hackntossh! Just got my 9780 today, and know that I'll miss VVM a lot.
    01-18-11 03:57 PM
    Hackntosh,

Like you I modified the "vvm.alx" file and have an VVM icon on my 9780. Also, like your earlier post, I get an error message telling me to provide a valid 10-digit telephone number - and it does not like my cell number.

Did you ever get it to work and, if so, what did you do that is not in this post?

Thanks,

GB
    02-16-11 12:15 PM
    Hey GB--

Like I mentioned in my post, I'm not all that motivated to get it working as I have a workable solution that revolves around Google Voice.

From what I can tell, the easiest way to get it fully working would be to change the Vendor ID of the BlackBerry to 106 or 1... but that is not an easy feat. It requires leaked RIM software (available via Torrent) that, even when acquired, doesn't work on the 9780 (it's too new). I downloaded said software and tried tinkering with it and had no luck.

Not sure what to advise you to do. I think it is going to take a mind greater than mine to crack this problem.

Good luck!
    Andrew
    02-16-11 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD