Here is what I would like to happen when I charge my phone at night.

Place phone in OEM dock. Have the phone enter bedside mode, and have the profile change to Phone Only. I would also like the screen to go black. I don't need any type of clock, just need a dark screen.

I can currently get everything but the dark screen. Our bedroom is pitch black, and it really lights it up way too much. Am I missing something? Tried messing with the clock options, but cannot find a way to get this to happen.

One thing I did try was pressing the keypad lock upper left hand side button, but that only locked the screen. The clock still showed.

Any help is much appreciated.
    01-11-11 08:51 PM
    Best way I know how to accomplish this is:

* Open up 'Clock' application.
    * Go into 'Options' and under the 'Clock' options, set 'When Charging' to 'Do Nothing'
    * Now scroll down to 'Bedside Mode' section
    * Change 'Sound Profile' to 'Phone Calls Only'
    * Hardware 'Menu' button and select 'Save'

When you put the phone on top of the OEM dock charger and your screen is on the 'Home' screen, just hit the upper-left 'Key Lock' button and the screen should go immediately to blank/dark and the backlight should go off too. -- Or if you let it sit, the screen should timeout to a black screen.

Cheers,
    Kermee
    01-11-11 09:11 PM
    Not sure about when in dock, but when just plugged into standard charger you can exit the bedside mode/clock and then lock as you normally would which keeps screen off.
    01-11-11 09:13 PM
    Best way I know how to accomplish this is:

* Open up 'Clock' application.
    * Go into 'Options' and under the 'Clock' options, set 'When Charging' to 'Do Nothing'
    * Now scroll down to 'Bedside Mode' section
    * Change 'Sound Profile' to 'Phone Calls Only'
    * Hardware 'Menu' button and select 'Save'

When you put the phone on top of the OEM dock charger and your screen is on the 'Home' screen, just hit the upper-left 'Key Lock' button and the screen should go immediately to blank/dark and the backlight should go off too. -- Or if you let it sit, the screen should timeout to a black screen.

Cheers,
    Kermee
    This works, except the LED still flashes upon notification, especially using BerryBuzz.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-11 08:52 AM
    This works, except the LED still flashes upon notification, especially using BerryBuzz.

Clock>menu>options, bedside mode, check "disable LED". I use BeBuzz and this turns off the LED.

01-12-11 09:02 AM
    Clock>menu>options, bedside mode, check "disable LED". I use BeBuzz and this turns off the LED.

I do this, abd the screen won't shut off. It seems as there is no happy medium.

01-12-11 11:24 AM

This is how I have it as well, and I don't have any issues... Interesting...
    01-12-11 11:28 AM
    This is how I have it as well, and I don't have any issues... Interesting...
    I do this as well, but, the screen does not shut off. I need the screen off, phone only profile, and no LED. Cannot find this combination at all.

01-12-11 12:05 PM
    Just use the charging cable without the cradle and lay it face down, or drape a washcloth over it in the cradle.
    01-12-11 01:46 PM
    Just use the charging cable without the cradle and lay it face down, or drape a washcloth over it in the cradle.
    I have done that in the past, but I just hate how it looks. In the cradle, it is almost a piece of artwork that I like to have displayed, even in the dark. The whole point of getting a cradle is that I would no longer have to place it face down on a t-shirt.
    01-12-11 01:58 PM
    I have done that in the past, but I just hate how it looks. In the cradle, it is almost a piece of artwork that I like to have displayed, even in the dark. The whole point of getting a cradle is that I would no longer have to place it face down on a t-shirt.
    Do it the way I suggested and you don't have to lay it face down.
    01-12-11 03:46 PM
    I was just playing around with this to find an answer, got it. In clock options disable the the led and set profile to phone only when in bedside mode. Set device to bedside mode (led is off) and place in charger pod. Push standby button (top left), all backlights turn off. No led, no backlights.

01-12-11 03:59 PM
    I was just playing around with this to find an answer, got it. In clock options disable the the led and set profile to phone only when in bedside mode. Set device to bedside mode (led is off) and place in charger pod. Push standby button (top left), all backlights turn off. No led, no backlights.

I have mine set to do nothing when placed on, but I have a screen saver app that I config'd not to keep the backlight on, so it fades out within 20 seconds after docking.

01-12-11 05:50 PM

I tried this, as posted earlier. This does not work. I press the standby button, and the screen locks, but does not turn off.
    01-12-11 08:34 PM
    Sorry. Here's a good example how each device reacts differently. Wish i knew which one is acting the way it was designed.

01-12-11 09:32 PM
    Could the OS be a culprit? I am running a super old version, 5.0.0.405. Maybe this has something to do with it?
    01-12-11 09:51 PM
    Ahhhhh, yes. That's before the standby button had it's function changed. How about at least upgrading to your carrier's "official"?

01-12-11 10:09 PM
    This explains quite a bit, and it also proves that I am not crazy. I will have to do that. Thanks for the help.
    01-12-11 10:14 PM
    This explains quite a bit, and it also proves that I am not crazy. I will have to do that. Thanks for the help.
    Well, I upgraded to 5.0.0.979, and this problem still exists. I am not sure what to do now. It dims more than before, but never goes dark. And pressing the standby key simply does nothing when in the dock.

I am very frustrated right now over this simple task.

01-16-11 09:13 AM
    Well, I upgraded to 5.0.0.979, and this problem still exists. I am not sure what to do now. It dims more than before, but never goes dark. And pressing the standby key simply does nothing when in the dock.

Darn. I'm lost. I have never experienced this on any OS. I thought for sure your dumping the old OS would have fix it. Hope others have suggestions.

01-16-11 12:00 PM
    HF, do you use Password Lock? Just an idea as to what could be the difference your settings and the others'.
    If you have PW set and they don't, maybe that changes something. If you do, I'll set one too to experiment a bit.

Other idea, just to try, is change your Clock settings to something different, Save, then battery pull. After reboot, open Clock, change all settings to desired functions, Save, battery pull.
    I'm so sorry in advance if that just wasted 10 minutes of your time, but I thought it was worth a shot!
    01-16-11 12:13 PM

The purpose of bedside mode is to give you the faded clock and to be able to set the other notifications so as not to disturb. I would set bedside mode not to kick in. Then when you're going to bed set Profiles to Phone Only, dock the phone and when the clock appears press the end key. I know this is a work around but that is often the case when trying to change the primary purpose of a function.

01-16-11 12:35 PM
    I just cannot give up on this. See attached image and tell me why this won't work.

01-17-11 10:00 AM
    Wouldn't it be easier to power off the phone instead?

01-17-11 11:39 AM
    I don't ever power my phone off. I sometimes need an avenue of contact in the middle of the night, but do not want to be bothered by email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Dismiss clock is checked to yes. Why is it not dismissing?
    01-17-11 04:51 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD