I just received a 9650 from Verizon. It is loaded with OS 5.0.0.1006. I headed over here to look it up, to see whether I should change to a different version. To my surprise, I can't find any reference to a Blackberry OS 5.0.0.1006 either through here or through Google. It's as if I have an OS that doesn't exist, officially or unofficially.

What's going on?!!
    01-11-11 01:51 PM
    really? Hmmm....I just got my Bold in dec. from Vzw & it has .975 OS5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 01:55 PM
    screen cap?
    01-11-11 01:55 PM
    Shouldn't 6.0.0.431 be dropping soon? I want to say Verizon is the one releasing it? I was told the 19th? (Hoping for a leak before then) :}
    01-11-11 02:05 PM
    Shouldn't 6.0.0.431 be dropping soon? I want to say Verizon is the one releasing it? I was told the 19th? (Hoping for a leak before then) :}
    yea, I didn't know the versh of OS6 but rumor has it Jan 19th for Vzw. ???

Mz-can you post a screen shot of the specs?

01-11-11 02:07 PM
    Mz-can you post a screen shot of the specs?
    I've asked for that already
    01-11-11 02:13 PM
    Oh please Big Red....please don't let this be the MR3 coming this month....
    01-11-11 02:13 PM
    lol....that would suck!
    01-11-11 02:14 PM
    I assume you are asking for a screenshot of the "About" screen. Can I capture that without a software install? How? I've never done that before. I'd be happy to just read numbers off instead, if you tell me what you want. Verizon told me over the phone, that this software is only released for preload on devices, and has been available since 12/7/10. I was getting concerned it was some kind of rogue OS, so I called them. I am utterly shocked that it could be on all Bolds released over the past month, yet not appear anywhere in a Google search.
    01-11-11 02:19 PM
    I've asked for that already
    ahhh. Didn't see your post. My bad.

01-11-11 02:21 PM
    BBSAK can do screen shots from your PC.
    01-11-11 02:23 PM
    the fact that Mz has this is strange. I'm gonna do a little fishin on the web when I get home to see if this is the next step up. I wonder what hap'd to OS6 then....

01-11-11 02:24 PM
    I was getting concerned it was some kind of rogue OS
    RIM writes all the OS', so there aren't any rogue ones out there.
    01-11-11 02:26 PM
    BBSAK can do screen shots from your PC.
    Don't have it, and really don't want to install now. Let me know what useful info I can retype.
    01-11-11 02:27 PM
    the fact that Mz has this is strange. I'm gonna do a little fishin on the web when I get home to see if this is the next step up. I wonder what hap'd to OS6 then....

Yeah, no kidding. The fact that a Google search came up completely dry, short of this, is very strange:
    "BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.1006 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105" - User Agent Details from Bots vs Browsers

But, two different Verizon reps told me the software was official, but not available online. That's why I trust the accuracy to some extent.
    01-11-11 02:29 PM
    RIM writes all the OS', so there aren't any rogue ones out there.
    I don't know much about how they work. Hybrids are not written by RIM, so your statement is not strictly true. But what prevents tampering at a modular level. Are they all cryptographically signed?
    01-11-11 02:30 PM
    A screenie is the proof. Anyone can type anything. I've never heard of an OS released just for devices sold after a certain date. When VZW makes an OS official, they do so for all devices.
    01-11-11 02:30 PM
    I don't know much about how they work. Hybrids are not written by RIM, so your statement is not strictly true. But what prevents tampering at a modular level. Are they all cryptographically signed?
    No, it is true. All OS' are written by RIM.

Two different Verizon reps told me the software was official, but not available online. That's why I trust the accuracy to some extent.
    Considering this, and the fact that in 30 days no one else has reported this version here is why I don't trust it.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-11-11 at 02:34 PM.
    01-11-11 02:32 PM
    A screenie is the proof. Anyone can type anything. I've never heard of an OS released just for devices sold after a certain date. When VZW makes an OS official, they do so for all devices.
    Well, hate to say, but screenshots can be modified too. Quite easily. I don't want to install software. Take my word for it! The attached was easy to do, and required no new software. It should help convince you.
    01-11-11 02:39 PM
    No, it is true. All OS' are written by RIM.
    For my education, can you please clarify this, in light of my point about hybrids? They're not written by RIM, are they?

Are the core modules cryptographically signed or not? Please don't speculate if you don't know.
    01-11-11 02:41 PM
    For my education, can you please clarify this, in light of my point about hybrids? They're not written by RIM, are they?

Are the core modules cryptographically signed or not? Please don't speculate if you don't know.
    A hybrid isn't really an OS, it's files from one OS copied into another. In any event, all the files are written by RIM.
    01-11-11 02:44 PM
    A hybrid isn't really an OS, it's files from one OS copied into another. In any event, all the files are written by RIM.
    I don't know, I thought an OS was the sum of its parts. If the parts change, it's not "written by RIM". And if the files are not cryptographically signed, then we can't be sure who wrote them. I imagine they are, but have been unable to verify with quick online searches.
    01-11-11 03:01 PM
    I don't know, I thought an OS was the sum of its parts. If the parts change, it's not "written by RIM". And if the files are not cryptographically signed, then we can't be sure who wrote them. I imagine they are, but have been unable to verify with quick online searches.
    Copy and paste hardly counts as writing an OS. I'm not at the point of researching the cryptograhy of RIM OS files, I'm still working on the magic bullet theory.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-11-11 at 03:08 PM.
    01-11-11 03:05 PM
    I just received a 9650 from Verizon. It is loaded with OS 5.0.0.1006. I headed over here to look it up, to see whether I should change to a different version. To my surprise, I can't find any reference to a Blackberry OS 5.0.0.1006 either through here or through Google. It's as if I have an OS that doesn't exist, officially or unofficially.

What's going on?!!

Same thing here I got a replacement bold from vzw on 1/3/2011 and the os it was running was 5.0.0.1006 and I looked all over the internet for the os and couldn't find anything about it. I just downloaded the spring official os 6 and loaded it onto my new bold =)

01-11-11 05:24 PM
    Same thing here I got a replacement bold from vzw on 1/3/2011 and the os it was running was 5.0.0.1006 and I looked all over the internet for the os and couldn't find anything about it. I just downloaded the spring official os 6 and loaded it onto my new bold =)

you too?!?!

I couldnt find anything googling on the web except for the same 'bots' link that Mz posted. I don't understand the whole .1006OS version. Like I've said in previous post, I upgraded to my Bold in Dec. and it came with OS5 .975
    01-11-11 07:54 PM
221 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD