• Official .380

6 10.91%
  • Leaked .424

33 60.00%
  • BDHP 0S6

5 9.09%
  • WAIT for the next Official release

11 20.00%
    I've been reading through all the threads/post regarding OS 6 on 9700 and with all the various opinions and user experiences I just wanted to get some actual data to help me (and others) make a decision.

So please vote and take consideration stability, minimal to zero bugs/memory leaks and power management

Thanks in advance
    01-11-11 08:45 AM
    Latest is best for me. I never had the massive memory leak like some have had. Although the previous builds were "ok" the newest version .424 has been pretty solid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 09:07 AM
    This was voted on before and asked a few times had you searched. I wouldn't suggest OS 6 until the severe bugs have been ironed out. Stick with what works best and you will be problem-free all the way (for a majority of us, it is problem-free on OS 5).

01-11-11 09:20 AM
    I installed the latest leak .424 through DM and found it to be laggy when the memory got low. Memory leak was really bad for me.

I did some researh and a lot of people kept going on about using BBSAK to wipe and load OS to so I thought I would try it that way. I still have the memory leak but not as bad... And .424 runs a lot better this time round. Been about 48 hours now and still going strong

Memory leak has always been an issue for me on all builds and not for others, but loading it through BBSAK has made a hugh difference.

So I recommend the latest leak but what problems will depend on ur individual handset!

01-11-11 09:23 AM
    For me, I am always a fan of hybrid. What I experienced with all is:

1. Go with OS 5 if you want bug and problem free.
    2. Go with .424 if you like OS 6. Not bad at all.
    3. Go hybrid if you really want to use the phone to the max and according to your liking.

I myself using hybrid and am a big fan of hybrid generation
    01-11-11 09:25 AM
    I currently use shrinked-out .424 and it runs smoothly, low memory leak, etc.
    01-11-11 09:33 AM
    For me the best is 424, compared to the other leaks, I didn't try the official 380.

01-11-11 10:28 AM
    Pick a Hybrid....either the BTHM or BDHM out perform the leaks or the hilarious "official" version.
    01-11-11 10:37 AM
    I had the one Hybrid on for a bit & I do not really notice much, if any difference fro the Hybrid to the .424 I am now running. The latest leaks has a few issues, but has been very smooth for the most part. I like .424

01-11-11 11:09 AM
    This was voted on before and asked a few times had you searched. I wouldn't suggest OS 6 until the severe bugs have been ironed out. Stick with what works best and you will be problem-free all the way (for a majority of us, it is problem-free on OS 5).

Hi Rootbrian- I did do a search and I found a lot of info, but not exactly what I was looking for and I didn't find a poll where I could at a glance find out where most Crackberry members stood on the issue. Trust me I'm not trying to be the one cluttering up the site with repeative posts, as I said there were other post going into details about bugs & fixes, various issues, etc, but I just wanted a quick answer to "Should I upgrade Y or N?" I figured a simple poll would do the trick. I will be more diligent in my searches before starting a new thread.
    01-11-11 01:15 PM
    .380 for me as .418 and .424 have scrolling issues with facebook and such.... .380 battery is good also !

01-11-11 01:26 PM
    This just depresses me. I spent all summer looking forward to OS6 on my 9700, and now it's here, I tried it, and couldn't wait to get a rid of it in favor of good ole' OS5.

If it isn't reliable and stable, then it isn't a BlackBerry experience in my book. It doesn't matter to me what the reason for the instability is (leaked vs. official version, not enough memory on 9700, etc.).

As far as I can tell, OS6 was envisioned as a touch experience for a specific device (the Torch). Trying to use a 9700 (or for that matter, a 9650 or 9780) on it feels like trying to use an iPhone theme on a non-touch device: it doesn't fit. IMHO, even if the Torch is technologically superior (both hardware and software) to the 9700, it falls short because it's trying to emulate the experience you have on other phones, rather than focusing on the reasons we were drawn to BlackBerry to begin with.

My contract is up in January 2012. I would love for RIM to blow me away with a Torch 2 or perhaps a QNX-based device, but I don't see that yet. And if they don't do that, I'm (sadly) headed to iPhone on Verizon or some other option.
    01-11-11 02:00 PM
    there is no best OS6 on 9700 is a joke
    01-11-11 09:16 PM
    Where's the... "NONE! OS6 sucks and it's 5.0 for the win!"?

That's the one I'd've chosen, were it an option.

@djnick & StormJH1... (insert thumbs up here). At least someone's got a brain in here!
    01-11-11 09:22 PM
    Hi Rootbrian- I did do a search and I found a lot of info, but not exactly what I was looking for and I didn't find a poll where I could at a glance find out where most Crackberry members stood on the issue. Trust me I'm not trying to be the one cluttering up the site with repeative posts, as I said there were other post going into details about bugs & fixes, various issues, etc, but I just wanted a quick answer to "Should I upgrade Y or N?" I figured a simple poll would do the trick. I will be more diligent in my searches before starting a new thread.
    You don't need to defend yourself Ghost... you did nothing wrong.

It's Brian who clutters up the site with repetitive posts
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 01-11-11 at 09:39 PM. Reason: crap spelling
    01-11-11 09:31 PM
    OS6 .418 has been running great for me so far. I've downloaded .424, but it doesn't seem like that much of an improvement so I haven't installed it.
    01-11-11 10:09 PM
    I've had OS6 version .424 on my 9700 since it came out and had no problems at all. I'm pretty happy with it on my phone. But i kinda miss OS5.
    01-11-11 11:56 PM
    Obviously OS5 is a better-working, bug-free and more reliable OS. but if Id have to choose between all the OS 6 versions available id have to say .380 (the official from Mobilicity) was the best using my 9700. The battery life is excellent and didn't find too many scrolling spazzes, but it can get irritating at times. I'm surprised they even released an OS 6 "official". It has a lot of editing needed to be done.
    01-15-11 05:25 PM
    I've stuck with ole' faithful 5...714 stock from Tmo. If it isn't broke don't fix it, and mine is smooth as butter. I have a theme I love and am going to wait until I get something with os6 out of the box I've decided.

Had a friend use .380 official and leaked .424 and he stuck with .424.

01-15-11 05:32 PM
    BTHM OS6 Hybrid for the .424 leak. Best performance of any OS6 leak/hybrid that I've used since .344, and I've tried them all.

Though I did do a small modification and am using the .418 radio file to test reception. So far, I think I'm getting better reception than the .424 radio.
    01-15-11 06:09 PM
    This just depresses me. I spent all summer looking forward to OS6 on my 9700, and now it's here, I tried it, and couldn't wait to get a rid of it in favor of good ole' OS5.

If it isn't reliable and stable, then it isn't a BlackBerry experience in my book. It doesn't matter to me what the reason for the instability is (leaked vs. official version, not enough memory on 9700, etc.).

As far as I can tell, OS6 was envisioned as a touch experience for a specific device (the Torch). Trying to use a 9700 (or for that matter, a 9650 or 9780) on it feels like trying to use an iPhone theme on a non-touch device: it doesn't fit. IMHO, even if the Torch is technologically superior (both hardware and software) to the 9700, it falls short because it's trying to emulate the experience you have on other phones, rather than focusing on the reasons we were drawn to BlackBerry to begin with.

My contract is up in January 2012. I would love for RIM to blow me away with a Torch 2 or perhaps a QNX-based device, but I don't see that yet. And if they don't do that, I'm (sadly) headed to iPhone on Verizon or some other option.
    My sentiments are similar to StormJH1's. The biggest selling point for OS 6 (at least for the 9700) is a much improved browser. When I balance that advantage against the other known issues with the various versions, I can't see going through all that. I don't want to have to shrink the OS to make sure my BB runs efficiently. I don't want to have to do battery pulls. This might be my old age showing, but I just want an OS ready to go without having to tailor it. So, even when the official version for TMO drops, I'll still wait and see what growing pains other have with it before I download it.
    01-15-11 07:50 PM
    You don't need to defend yourself Ghost... you did nothing wrong.

It's Brian who clutters up the site with repetitive posts
    Totally and completely...
    Btw 424 rocks.. I feel bad for ppl for whom OS 6 hasn't been as nice as it has been to me. I can't think of goin back to 5 ...

01-15-11 08:28 PM
    If it isn't broke don't fix it

Totally agree with you buddy! But i gotta say.... The only way to find out if the OS version (OS5 or OS6) works... is to try it.
    The great thing about our beloved Bold 9700 is that we can play with both OS5 and OS6. hehehe
    Last edited by ench18; 01-15-11 at 10:42 PM.
    01-15-11 10:38 PM
    Totally agree with you buddy! But i gotta say.... The only way to find out if the OS version (OS5 or OS6) works... is to try it.
    The great thing about our beloved Bold 9700 is that we can play with both OS5 and OS6. hehehe
    That, my friend, is the full truth. Many options and avenues to explore. Maybe one day I should sit down and give em all a run and even try a few hybrids.

01-16-11 01:55 AM
    Latest OS 5 is very slick and no problem at all. Latest OS 6.0.0.424 is for me so far working good.

01-16-11 08:26 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD