I hate to make the thread like this but I'm at my wits end with this phone. Now before I rant let me preface this message with "I LOVE BLACKBERRY." Here me again, "I LOVE BLACKBERRY." You will have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I switch to an iOS Android or Windows device.

That being said this phone is driving my crazy.

The Issue: Freezes and Lags basically 80% of the time I use it. I understand that calling ATT will do nothing to help me as its an OS issue. I am looking for some guidance as to what others are doing to cope.

3rd Party Apps: Whatapp, Google Maps, Facebook, Twitter, Poynt, Groupon, Screen Muncher, U-Verse, Amazon MP3, ScoreMobile, Tumblr, Bloomberg, Best Buy Rewards, Amazon.com & Blackberry Traffic.

Now, I know that may be a lot but my memory sits around 166.2 mb. Which is leaps and bounds better than my 9000 before i shipped her perfect form factor to my closet to sit in a box.

Question: What can I do aside from deleting a bunch of apps (which other phone providers referring to ios etc.) to make my phone run efficiently. Any help would be great. Otherwise I fear I may end up on the evening news for doing something ridiculous.

Anyways Thanks in advance for the help. Go Blackberry!
    01-10-11 11:09 PM
    What OS are you running? Try upgrading to the latest version (337). Which areas are you seeing the most lag in?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 11:14 PM
    Do you have Social Feeds installed? If you do, my guess is that's what's making it lag. When my cousin got her Torch, she noticed lag with nothing installed. I uninstalled social feeds since it keeps getting notifications and the lag was gone.
    01-10-11 11:19 PM
    When did you start to notice the lag? Was it right away or over time? Any lag isn't normal, I have never experienced any lag even with all the apps and games I have and run sometimes together.

01-10-11 11:59 PM
    I'm currently running .246 on this phone.

The phone has gotten slower over time. Ran like an angel the first couple of months. Then began to bog down after time. I constantly clear the log (Alt LG LG) to free up space and i still deal with the lag through regular operation.

From tasks as simple as opening applications to switching the phone out of standby mode.

For example: I have locked the keys (using the lock button on the top of the phone adjacent mute) the phone does not react for approximately 5-10 seconds. The way to go around this is to flip the phone up to light up the screen.

I have used 337 before and had similar issues with less applications.

Any other fixes or suggestions? Praying this phone acts proper or I will find myself on craigslist looking for an unlocked 9780 to hope for better efficiency.
    01-11-11 12:39 AM
    You are not talking to ATT right.

4 replacement 9000
    2 replace 9800

All in how you talk to them.
    01-11-11 12:56 AM
    When was your last battery pull?

X
    01-11-11 01:12 AM
    You are not talking to ATT right.

4 replacement 9000
    2 replace 9800

All in how you talk to them.
    I know how to get a new phone. I had 3 Bold 9000's and this is my second Torch.

When was your last battery pull?

X
    Do just about 1 a day. Isn't that ridiculous? and it still runs poorly.
    01-11-11 02:14 AM
    yeah your phone is acting up weird, here what you could do.

Format your SD card, I know there is some problem with them if you got them with the phone and never formatted it.

Use .337, .246 is not better, I had all kind of lag using .246, never saw that on .337.

My phone is quick, it doesn't take 3-5 second to unlock (it's instant, like my 8900)

Other than that, how many apps you have running on your phone? I'm not talking about what you installed, I mean what do you see when you hold the menu button for 5 second, how many apps is running ?
    01-11-11 06:12 AM
    Im still running .246 and mine works fine. That being said, Im very careful about what apps I install. I have found that some apps supposedly made for OS6 still have bugs and caused my 9800 to lag, so I deleted them, soon after installation.
    01-11-11 06:19 AM
    Sounds like the OP might have a defective phone. Or as AcADIeN suggests, it could just be the SD card -- they've been known to make phones run crappy.

Just for grins, try pulling the battery and removing the SD card before reinserting the battery, and see how the phone runs without the card. If you seen an improvement, then you know where the issue is; try reformatting the card, or just replace it. If not, then the phone is gummed up somewhere else.

A call to AT&T isn't always fruitless; their support can only help you so much, but then they'll route you to RIM's support, where they'll take a deeper dive into your issue.

Good luck ...
    01-11-11 06:54 AM
    I doubt it's the phone. Generally "lag" issues are all software related. If pulling the SD card has no effect..then your best bet is to wipe the phone completely..and start with a fresh install, and then add apps one by one and continue monitoring it. It could be a bad app in there that is causing it..because generally there should be very little lag from the phone..especially for the menial tasks like locking the phone. You still have plenty of memory left on the phone..so there is no way it's due to memory issues.

You said it used to run buttery smooth. This is an indication that it's definately NOT hardware related.
    01-11-11 07:56 AM
    I m running .246 with over 35 apps and a 16 gig sd card full...I have no issues..if I ever get a lil lag is because I have over 7 or 8 app running at once...once I clear that it perfect...

01-11-11 08:00 AM
    LOL This is quite funny, people going this nuts over something that should make your life easier. Quite hilarious to be honest. I can understand some frustration, but not to this level.

As for the OP, I'm going with either she/he did a device switch wizard via DM, or a faulty SD card that needs to be reformatted. As most of us know by now that sometimes some settings when carried over from another device will cause the torch to lagg and constantly freeze up.

My suggestion is to do a wipe and reload of the OS with only a selective backup of just your personal info, no phone settings.

Or as others have suggested, reformat the SD card. I have about 5 or so more apps then you do and my device never freezes and only once in a great while will i see the spinning clock.
    01-11-11 08:01 AM
    ... how many apps you have running on your phone? ...

Agreed. When I first got my Torch, I noticed it was slow. Then, after using the BB button to pull up running apps, I saw that MSN Messenger was ALWAYS running and could not be shut off. I uninstalled it and my Torch runs fine now. I'm addicted to my running apps list. I use BEIKS Keyboard Locker and doing so, I constantly bring up the app screen to click my lock icon to lock my phone. When I do this, I am always looking for running apps which should not be running. With the exception of BEIKS, the only 5 apps you should have running (while not in use) are HOME/PHONE/BBM/MESSAGES/BROWSER - If you see anything other than those, and you're not using it, shut it down. If something is running in that screen (other than the 5 listed above) and you never use it and can't shut it down, try to find a way to uninstall it.
    01-11-11 08:17 AM
    If this is your second torch and most of us out here don't have your problems. What does that tell you?

This is an app problem and not an app volume problem.
    01-11-11 08:30 AM
    I'm running .246 with no issues but I've done the following.

-I've format the memory card and device memory upon getting the device
    -I make sure all my media files (music, pics) are all saved to my memory card
    -I've downloaded the "Memory Up" app which defrags the device and I'd think that files everything the way it should so everything runs efficiently.
    -I also make sure any apps that have the option to save to the media card instead of the device itself has been changed to media card only (YouMail App stores on device)...
    -I also make sure no logs are created.

I installed .337 and found the web hanging too much so I went back to .246... Just because theres a new OS version out, doesn't always means it's the best one.. Just my IMO...
    01-11-11 10:21 AM
    Im still running .246 and mine works fine. That being said, Im very careful about what apps I install. I have found that some apps supposedly made for OS6 still have bugs and caused my 9800 to lag, so I deleted them, soon after installation.
    I'm right there with you, pilsbury. Running .246 and it usually seems to be due to a few apps that I've just installed when I've noticed most of my problems. Most apps are fine, but there were a few that drove my Torch buggy.
    01-11-11 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD