Hello, can someone point me to an objective discussion of the pros and cons of getting the Verizon 8830 or the Sprint 8830. Both are options under my company's plan and I was wondering if there was a consensus about which is better and why. The prices for the device and plan are comparable.

Thanks.

P.S. I already have the 8830 from Verizon, so this is mostly so I can advise others about to make the same decision.
    08-01-08 08:59 AM
    GPS works for free on Sprint and the price plans are a bit cheaper. That's about it. Negatives always have to do with coverage and customer service on Sprint.

The Search feature here can do more pointing if you need it.
    08-01-08 09:26 AM
    Verizon has a more reliable network, and MMS on their phones. (excluding the ability to send mms on the 8830)
    08-01-08 10:26 AM
    Vzw
    GPS is locked to VZNav
    Price plan doesnt include GPS Navigation
    Data plan Required
    Device is locked for international travel
    can receive MMS
    comes in silver and red

Sprint
    Price plan is cheaper and includes GPS
    Device is unlocked for international travel
    can use any GPS software
    receives only a link to a PM website
    comes in black

Other than that the devices are identical
    08-01-08 10:38 AM
    BBEnriched, how about WiFi connection like iPhone. I know Verizon does not provide, Sprint?

Vzw
    GPS is locked to VZNav
    Data plan Required
    can receive MMS
    comes in silver and red

Sprint
    can use any GPS software
    comes in black

08-01-08 11:08 AM
    No WiFi on any CDMA berries as of yet.
    08-01-08 11:09 AM
    Vzw
    GPS is locked to VZNav
    Data plan Required
    can receive MMS
    comes in silver and red

Sprint
    can use any GPS software
    comes in black

I've always thought I could neither send nor receive MMS. When I read your post, I asked bmcclure937 to send me an MMS. He tried, and his device indicated it delivered, but I never got it. I did get a subsequent SMS from him, so I think that rules out anything other than a basic inability to receive MMS. Have you gotten an MMS from someone? Is there something else I'm overlooking?
    08-01-08 11:31 AM
    You can't receive MMS on a Verizon 8830, you have to go and visit www.vzwpic.com or something like that to login and see the picture that was sent to you.

The main reason I would go with Sprint is that they don't lock out the GPS.
    08-01-08 12:05 PM
    You can't receive MMS on a Verizon 8830, you have to go and visit www.vzwpic.com or something like that to login and see the picture that was sent to you.

The main reason I would go with Sprint is that they don't lock out the GPS.
    I wouldn't base the whole outcome on GPS That would be sacrificing a much more reliable network for one with GPS functionality..

You can still have GPS on a vzw phone without the service, it just takes a mere 30-50$ for a tiny bluetooth receiver, rather than 10$ a month
    08-01-08 12:40 PM
    I prefer VZW over Sprint and besides looks like sprint just got hit hard with the ETFs.

Where can I get the Freedom Keychain GPS for under 50? (I have yet to find it cheaper then 60).

I would say go with VZW but if you need GPS then go with Sprint.
    08-01-08 12:50 PM
    I've used Sprint one time in my life and regretted it. Their customer service department- when I could reach them, was and is, from what I've been lead to understand, TERRIBLE. Their coverage isn't so hot, either.

My vote is for Verizon, even though:

-they've disabled GPS. It aggravates me, but I'm happier with the larger screen of my Garmin, anyway.

-the phone comes locked, but they will give you the code to unlock it.

-they've disabled the MMS function. This REALLY annoys me, but after all, the 8830 is meant to be a business phone.

WHY VERIZON, THEN? I always have a good customer service experience! The CSR's have gone out of their way to be helpful time and time again. I have NEVER paid an activation fee for a new phone, even online. I just ask for fees to be waived. A few times over the years when there was something I didn't recognize on the bill, or when I've had some sort of gripe, I've always gotten money knocked off the bill, or credits. I doubt that GPS gripes would get a freebie, though...

Also, the coverage is second to none. It is only when I go up into the overgrown mountains of 'in the boonies,' PA, that the service cuts out a little. Driving a short distance down the road usually takes care of that.

I get my unlimited data plan for my BB for $35 per month. For the number of times in a month that I've got my face buried in it, that's a BARGAIN!

I've been with Verizon for over 10 years, and can't bear to switch to any other carrier. Unless Sprint has changed DRASTICALLY, RUN... don't walk, away from them.
    Last edited by KarlyT; 08-02-08 at 07:54 AM.
    08-01-08 03:54 PM
    I had the Sprint and VZW 8830. I had the Sprint from work and the VZW as a personal phone. The Sprint one, well, lets just say horrible. Almost everywhere I went was dropped calls, no signal, and a multitude of other issues. Even when the charging port broke, it took them 3 weeks to get me a new one. However, with issues on the VZW 8830, I just take it back to the store and they'll give me one right there.

I'd say go with the VZW over the sprint.
    08-01-08 04:33 PM
    I've had Sprint and VZW and prefer VZW. In my area, VZW has better coverage.
    08-01-08 04:45 PM
    Vzw
    It is not locked for "international travel", out of the box it is locked to VZW supplied sim cards so that you can't us an overseas carriers local sim cards. It is simple to unlock for using any sim card and Verizon will give you the unlock code. Mine has been unlocked for about a year now.

There is a sticky on this subject at the beginning of this forum section.
    08-01-08 06:41 PM
    I must respectfully disagree with other posters in this forum as a whole. Coverages really depend on your area obviously. I am in central WV which has very difficult terrian and even worse coverage from most providers. I have personally had Verizon Wireless and Sprint, my company has had both as well (I handle most IT and communications-related issues personally). We travel over a multitude of geographic areas across many counties (in-state WV) and states (all over Eastern US) and have gotten significantly better coverage and performance from Sprint. The funny thing is that Sprint doesn't even acknowledge coverage in my area, yet we have it, fully-digital. We had a good-deal of problem with Verizon calls being lost, dropped or not connecting, and do not have that issue near as much with Sprint.

I also have called Sprint customer service a few times and not had any major issues. It has been no better or worse than Verizon. I have also been fortunate enough to establish a relationship with a particular Sprint sales rep at a store a few hours away, now any problem I have or that my company has goes to him... he handles it quickly and efficiently. So in that regard, it is a toss-up, but factoring in our rep, my vote goes to Sprint.

Please bear in mind that 99% of this opinion is based on commercial use and commercially established accounts with both companies. If they are anything like Microsoft and some others we deal with daily, the commercial customer gets MUCH better service than the personal one, so my dealings with both may be different than the average personal user.

I think, at least where I am, that Sprint is superior. My suggestion to the original poster would be to take the Sprint 30-day test-drive and see for himself if he likes it. (Just a suggestion)

Overall Verizon Wireless was a GREAT company to work-with, but for us, in this area, Sprint is BETTER. One area that Sprint loses -- their bills are much more difficult to read/understand. They are accurate once you learn how to understand them, but Verizon's are much more clear natively.

I hope this has shed some light on my views.
    08-01-08 09:30 PM
    i had the sprint 8830 and i never had any problems with it. i wouldve kept it but the curve came out
    08-01-08 09:35 PM
    I use Sprint and have had no problems. I live and work in Chicago and it's suburbs and have great coverage. When I use our antiquated transit system underground, my service is great. The GPS for free is a plus as well. I have not had any major issues with the customer service, although I don't think they are necessarily that knowledgable. I have used Verizon and was only mildly impressed, but this is over 8 years ago. One issue I had with them was a constant hassle with incorrect bills. Service was high quality, but I wasn't using a BB back then. Hope this helps.
    08-02-08 02:09 PM
    Have you had someone with Sprint get an 8830...and then the two of you compare?

I say go with Verizon...

Verizon till I DIE!! I may get another device here...a gadget there...but when it comes to reception--which is relative, of course--and Customer Service (which is Hands DOWN)...I'm ALways going to have a device, phone, SOMEthing from VZW [period].

08-02-08 05:52 PM
    I have an 8830 on Sprint and another 8830 on Verizon. From an operational standpoint, for me, there is no difference. If I have Verizon coverage, I have Sprint coverage and visa versa. I spend half my time in Europe and Asia and experience no difference in coverage. What works on one works on the other.

Sprint has GPS, Verizon doesn't. Verizon has better cutomer service. Sprint is a bit less expense than Verizon on my plan.

Other than that it is a wash for me.
    08-02-08 07:49 PM
    VZW hands down. Tried almost all the carriers.

Yeah, I can see Sprint working well in 1% of the nation. Maybe it's by their HQ. Actually, I drove past one of Sprint's HQ buildings and that's when I had sprint. My signal was almost nothing. That was one of the decision factors...
    08-03-08 12:58 PM
    I've had both, I find that Verizon has better customer service and better reception. Only problem with Verizon is no GPS unless you pay extra.
    08-03-08 02:49 PM
    I am considering purchasing an 8830WE. Any comments on whether Sprint or Verizon coverage is better in the Colorado area?
    09-07-08 02:10 PM
    they both hate tmobile...
    09-08-08 01:11 PM
    One other differnce between Vzw and Sprint:

Not many care about this feature, but my wife is deaf, and she frequently sends SMS to landline numbers. Both companies automatically convert the SMS to voice, but Vzw charges 25 cents each time. Sprint is free! That saves me $50 a month.
    09-09-08 07:53 PM
    If u go with sprint and lose service, switch yor phone into roaming. Sprint roams of verizon towers. I don't get service in my basement, so when I get home I switch to roam only mode and I'm good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-08 02:04 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD