I'm looking to switch carriers for economic reasons and coverage reasons. I love my G2, but T-Mobile only offers EDGE service in my area while Sprint offers 3G service. It pains me to have a device that I can rarely use to its full potential.

Being that Sprint offers both the Evo and Evo Shift I'm torn. I know that my G2 will net a great trade in price so purchasing either phone will not break the bank. My dilemma is I'm not sure if the Evo Shift is really an upgrade over my G2 or the Evo. I love having a physical keyboard and Vanilla Froyo, but can live with Sense and no keyboard. Looking @ specs they're virtually identical devices. I'm just looking for feedback from all of the great people here.
    01-08-11 10:42 AM
    I'm looking to switch carriers for economic reasons and coverage reasons. I love my G2, but T-Mobile only offers EDGE service in my area while Sprint offers 3G service. It pains me to have a device that I can rarely use to its full potential.

Being that Sprint offers both the Evo and Evo Shift I'm torn. I know that my G2 will net a great trade in price so purchasing either phone will not break the bank. My dilemma is I'm not sure if the Evo Shift is really an upgrade over my G2 or the Evo. I love having a physical keyboard and Vanilla Froyo, but can live with Sense and no keyboard. Looking @ specs they're virtually identical devices. I'm just looking for feedback from all of the great people here.
    The Evo shift is the G2 with Sense. It is Sprints Desire Z. The Shift is better than the Evo. Evo is old Snapdragon, Evo Shift is new Snapdragon like your G2.

If you like the G2 get the Shift. If not, get the Evo.
    01-08-11 10:53 AM
    Shift is not an upgrade on the EVO, IMO.
    01-08-11 10:55 AM
    When I decide what phone I want, I don't look at specs alone. What it comes down to more for me is look/form factor and user experience. Even though the Shift has better specs than the EVO, I would still choose the EVO over it due to its larger display, full touchscreen, form factor, and it still being a fast phone. I mean really, I know a lot of us just want more and more from our phones but a 1GHz processor is plenty enough for making calls, texting, web browsing, listening to music, emailing, using apps, and playing games.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 11:20 AM
    Shift is not an upgrade on the EVO, IMO.
    Anything is an upgrade from the EVO

/just saying...
    01-08-11 08:27 PM
    If your coming for the g2, then I'd choose the shift since it's basically the same device. The only thing you'll be losing vs the evo is the larger display and the front facing camera.
    01-08-11 08:39 PM
    If your coming for the g2, then I'd choose the shift since it's basically the same device. The only thing you'll be losing vs the evo is the larger display and the front facing camera.
    Can't disagree with that. I'd even go so far as to say that real world uses for the front camera are a tad limited.
    01-08-11 10:38 PM
    If YOU want a keyboard, the Shift is better. If YOU don't care for a hardware keyboard, the EVO is better.
    01-09-11 12:35 AM
    Thank you everyone for your input. I was really leaning towards the Evo before I posted this thread. The specs were relatively the same and the purchase price difference would literally be a $50 difference from the Shift to the Evo. Realistically, I think the Shift is the better way to go, price wise, spec wise, and practicality wise. Thank you so much everyone for your help. I knew I could find balanced, honest, and helpful advice from all of you.
    01-09-11 10:40 AM
    The Evo has a great virtual keyboard, you will be flying on it in no time. You also loose part of the beautiful screen size with the Shift.
    01-09-11 03:00 PM
    Oh I didn't see your last post, enjoy the shift I'm sure you will be very happy with shift coming from a g2.
    01-09-11 03:03 PM

Go with EVO
    Its Development community kicks all others to the curb device is rock solid you cant go wrong
    01-09-11 04:33 PM
    i have the same dilemma.. but Im leaning towards the evo, i do like the hard keyboard however the evo is just nicer all around I think!
    01-14-11 05:04 PM
    Evo 1ghz, Evo Shift 800mhz

smaller screen + slower processor + no front facing camera ..... how is this better?
    01-14-11 09:12 PM
    Evo 1ghz, Evo Shift 800mhz

smaller screen + slower processor + no front facing camera ..... how is this better?
    Look at reviews of the phone, the processor's clock speed is 800mhz but uses newer technology than the 1ghz, so it is faster. There's some benchmark results on android central. Bigger screen and FFC are just preferences.
    01-15-11 10:33 AM
    Look at reviews of the phone, the processor's clock speed is 800mhz but uses newer technology than the 1ghz, so it is faster. There's some benchmark results on android central. Bigger screen and FFC are just preferences.
    Rooted EVO with the right Custom rom/Kernel combo user can have benchmarks up & above Shift.
    01-15-11 11:11 AM
    Rooted EVO with the right Custom rom/Kernel combo user can have benchmarks up & above Shift.
    Well of course. But I was talking stock since he was just comparing clock speeds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 11:57 AM
    I ended up with the Evo. As fast as I can type on a physical keyboard, I've just become so acustom to Swype that I'm almost on par now. Since I use my device for reading news articles, researching information, and posting here, having more screen real estate makes more sense.

The Shift is sweet. It's light weight (lighter than the G2) and the roller slider is more sturdy than the G2. The processor is snappy and responds well. Anyone looking at the Shift I highly recommend it.
    01-15-11 02:29 PM
    go with the evo,realy the vertual keyboard is simple to adjust to. the bigger screen is addicting.if you dont you will regret it.
    01-16-11 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD