It makes sense that they are doing this for the long term. QNX is a whole new OS for them. It also keeps me thinking that maybe RIM WILL use hardware that's not released yet (Marvell 628?)

RIM CEO Details BlackBerry "Super Phone" Plans | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    01-06-11 12:26 PM
    I like that we will be getting new QNX phones ... but are we going to at least get OS6 stuff to hold us over?????

I honestly can't keep my S2 until 2012, its just not performing up to par with how I want to use it (or even need to use it - random reboots, OS sluggishness not allowing me to do basic tasks, etc)
    01-06-11 12:33 PM
    "A: No, I think a multicore platform is currently perfect for tablets.

Q: Why is it not perfect for handhelds?

A: Battery life, size, weight, thickness, cost"

Huh? He's obviously not putting much weight into the new line up of smartphones unveiled. The Moto Atrix is touting dual core, 1900 MAh battery (which is significantly bigger than any stock battery current). The fact that this phone is already slim and running top of the line specs..leads me to believe the biggest factor here is COST. RIM doesnt want to spend big dough on top of the line processors right now..when they can get dual core processors probaly dirt cheap come this time next year..when everyone else is moved on to something bigger and better.

From that interview..it's pretty inherent that RIM's focus right now is the Global market..not the general consumer trend right now. While that might be good for the overall bottom line for them as a company..you the consumer waiting for something great from RIM (in a smartphone) are getting left in the cold. Hey..maybe in ten years you'll be able to flaunt the latest and greatest from RIM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-06-11 12:39 PM
    I like that we will be getting new QNX phones ... but are we going to at least get OS6 stuff to hold us over?????

I honestly can't keep my S2 until 2012, its just not performing up to par with how I want to use it (or even need to use it - random reboots, OS sluggishness not allowing me to do basic tasks, etc)
    I've had a S2 since launch without any other phone and can wait until Q2-Q3 to see some phones. A few months ago I wouldn't have said that but what I'm seeing on the Playbook QNX is really pleasing. It's more fluid and powerful than I imagined. If RIM is seriously considering working at making the phone efficient and done right, then I think it's worth waiting for.

Meanwhile Android manufacturers are throwing the latest and greatest hardware at their current OS. It's a great thing for the market! I'm just waiting to see how well they utilize it with battery life and efficiency. I know the Tegra 2s are supposed to be good on this and all that but I gotta see what reviewers say. Heck, I'm still concerned about the Playbook's battery life!
    01-06-11 12:40 PM

2012? Not likely..i'd be getting out while the getting's good. Use the next year to try something else..what have you got to lose? You can always come back IF they do release something bigger and better..
    01-06-11 12:41 PM

Huh? He's obviously not putting much weight into the new line up of smartphones unveiled. The Moto Atrix is touting dual core, 1900 MAh battery (which is significantly bigger than any stock battery current). The fact that this phone is already slim and running top of the line specs..leads me to believe the biggest factor here is COST. RIM doesnt want to spend big dough on top of the line processors right now..when they can get dual core processors probaly dirt cheap come this time next year..when everyone else is moved on to something bigger and better.

From that interview..it's pretty inherent that RIM's focus right now is the Global market..not the general consumer trend right now. While that might be good for the overall bottom line for them as a company..you the consumer waiting for something great from RIM (in a smartphone) are getting left in the cold. Hey..maybe in ten years you'll be able to flaunt the latest and greatest from RIM.
    Yeah they are definitely banking on their bottom end and it has shown lately. But I do think they're not ready to do high end yet. They are finally doing a complete change on their OS. While I do think they should have done it earlier, they haven't really been hurting financially even on old tech. That Moto does look good with the hardware its got so It'll be interesting to see how it runs. Like the article says, it seems RIM is really looking to expand but taking their time since they are looking long term...
    01-06-11 12:44 PM

They aren't going to reveal their product roadmap. No company does.
    01-06-11 12:45 PM
    timeline, its nice they have a ten year plan, how bout hearing what 2011 is going to be like.
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-07-11 at 03:29 PM.
    01-06-11 12:46 PM
    They aren't going to reveal their product roadmap. No company does.
    Well at least RIM and Apple don't. Seems like Android/WP7 manufacturers are less secretive. But RIM states several times that "they don't like to comment on future products."

I think RIM really wants to hit hard in May with BB World. The name change signifies a new change for them where they'll show all their latest and greatest. I'm sure we'll see multi-core from there on out. I'm just really scratching my head at what they'll do in the meantime.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 01-06-11 at 12:50 PM.
    01-06-11 12:47 PM
    Wow, this is what I was afraid of. By their own admission they've let entering the emerging markets get in the way of producing new products for the markets that made them who they are.
    01-06-11 12:49 PM
    They need to get a single line of their devices that focus's on new technologies. Keep your Bolds and Curves for people who will only accept keyboards and three days of battery, and come out with a QNX all touch phone that has all of current BB features, but adds the great Web, multimedia experience, etc with shorter battery life. Their are BB users out their that are willing to take a battery hit for something that does what they want. Then as the technology matures and battery life catches up start pushing the technology downward to Bolds and Curves.

Also some of those comments make it sound like they are doing too much thinking/planning an not enough doing!
    01-06-11 12:52 PM

This is the only thing he needed to say. RIM simply doesnt want to pay to play with the big boys, and its going to lead to RIM ending up like Nokia, selling cheap devices overseas and completely irrelevant in the North American market. Battery life? That could be a concern, but amazingly companies like Apple and Motorola seem to be able to completely trash the 9800 in battery life in devices with much faster processors and higher res, bigger sized displays. Size, weight, thickness? See iPhone 4/wave of new handhelds from CES.

RIM is betting too heavily on the fact that users will remain satisfied with a BlackBerry (seems to not be the case in the US) and those that aren't wont switch, but instead buy a PlayBook.

RIMs decisions make me facepalm sometimes i swear
    01-06-11 12:58 PM
    If you're wondering what a QNX smartphone will look like:

Q: So you could just squint and see [the PlayBook] in a smaller form?
    A: Yeah!
    Q: Look at the left half of the Playbook screen, and there's a QNX handheld.
    A: Exactly! We're not denying it. But I think people, the mistake they're making is thinking it's just one or the other. And I'm trying to tell them there's actually three different segmentations of the marketplace.
    01-06-11 12:58 PM
    I also like how RIM apologist WillieLee got in on the comments for that article with the same pathetic excuses.
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    01-06-11 01:00 PM
    They need to get a single line of their devices that focus's on new technologies. Keep your Bolds and Curves for people who will only accept keyboards and three days of battery, and come out with a QNX all touch phone that has all of current BB features, but adds the great Web, multimedia experience, etc with shorter battery life. Their are BB users out their that are willing to take a battery hit for something that does what they want. Then as the technology matures and battery life catches up start pushing the technology downward to Bolds and Curves.

Also some of those comments make it sound like they are doing too much thinking/planning an not enough doing!
    Truly it is what they should be doing. RIM faithful im sure would pay 299 like they did for the Bold 9000 to have "the best" RIM makes.

RIM has the Nokia mentality to cover the market as much as possible with products, and many of those products are on the bottom end. It will be interesting to see how it plays out when RIM will have to combat cheap Android devices attacking the same market RIM is trying to go after.
    01-06-11 01:03 PM
    I've had a S2 since launch without any other phone and can wait until Q2-Q3 to see some phones. A few months ago I wouldn't have said that but what I'm seeing on the Playbook QNX is really pleasing. It's more fluid and powerful than I imagined. If RIM is seriously considering working at making the phone efficient and done right, then I think it's worth waiting for.

Meanwhile Android manufacturers are throwing the latest and greatest hardware at their current OS. It's a great thing for the market! I'm just waiting to see how well they utilize it with battery life and efficiency. I know the Tegra 2s are supposed to be good on this and all that but I gotta see what reviewers say. Heck, I'm still concerned about the Playbook's battery life!
    One of the tech blogs (Gizmodo, Engadget, or BGR) quoted the RIM rep as saying the target battery life would be 8 hours for the PB. There's a screenshot somewhere (I think it's Engadget) that shows the current non-optimized beta PB has around 4 hours of battery life with 93% juice left.
    01-06-11 01:03 PM
    This is the only thing he needed to say. RIM simply doesnt want to pay to play with the big boys, and its going to lead to RIM ending up like Nokia, selling cheap devices overseas and completely irrelevant in the North American market. Battery life? That could be a concern, but amazingly companies like Apple and Motorola seem to be able to completely trash the 9800 in battery life in devices with much faster processors and higher res, bigger sized displays. Size, weight, thickness? See iPhone 4/wave of new handhelds from CES.

RIM is betting too heavily on the fact that users will remain satisfied with a BlackBerry (seems to not be the case in the US) and those that aren't wont switch, but instead buy a PlayBook.

RIMs decisions make me facepalm sometimes i swear
    What he said.
    01-06-11 01:05 PM
    Truly it is what they should be doing. RIM faithful im sure would pay 299 like they did for the Bold 9000 to have "the best" RIM makes.

RIM has the Nokia mentality to cover the market as much as possible with products, and many of those products are on the bottom end. It will be interesting to see how it plays out when RIM will have to combat cheap Android devices attacking the same market RIM is trying to go after.
    It's already happening. Verizon already has 3 low end Android phones and even those are all touch screen in the Motorola Citrus, Samsung Continuum, and the LG Vortex. The new Vizio phone will be considered a low to mid level device and there have been quite a few smaller Asian companies that have revealed entry level touchscreen smartphones at CES.

I honestly think RIM is going to be quite surprised in the next few months and realize that they are losing a huge chunk of market share.
    01-06-11 01:11 PM
    One of the tech blogs (Gizmodo, Engadget, or BGR) quoted the RIM rep as saying the target battery life would be 8 hours for the PB. There's a screenshot somewhere (I think it's Engadget) that shows the current non-optimized beta PB has around 4 hours of battery life with 93% juice left.
    Right. I think I heard the RIM rep say that to Kevin on the CB interview. So it looks to get about 4-5 hours currently and that was just having Documents To Go open. To get 3 more hours will take a lot of tinkering. 7-8 hours would be great! I really hope they can do it as that's my only concern at this point...
    01-06-11 01:45 PM
    So basically RIM continues to tell folks who want a high end cutting edge device "go away, we don't like you and don't want your money" in favor of producing low end stuff for the world market...

At least there are some sweet Android devices coming out to keep us happy...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 01-06-11 at 03:11 PM.
    Slapnpop826 likes this.
    01-06-11 03:08 PM
    This all sound great and promising for the future but what about al us storm 1 users who where promised a great device better than an iphone? I will commend my storm 1 for the nice (click)screen, quallity of hardware and general durabiity of the phone. But I still have to do battery pulls, get software conflicts and general aggrevation of the slowness and lack of memory. All my other cells (Motorolar, Samsung Ect.) prior to the storm never had issues like this and Rims slow response to make a better smart phone has soured alot of people!!!!
    01-06-11 03:10 PM
    One thought is that RIM thinks they can let this craziness continue with android and iphone and thwn come back in late 2011 or early 2012 with some hot new QNX devices and win everyone back. Not sure how that will go for them. They may find themselves irrelevant.

Besides not sure 1 want that gen 1 QNX device. Seems like RIM is going to a market while still welding the deck plates in place. Again. The playbook looks nice for what we have seen, but that has all been controlled heavily by RIM. There is a lot we haven't scene.

I can hang with this S2 I got for a bit, but once I can read some solid reviews on the new LTE devices and maybe play with them it will be time to move on. If there is an S3 running QNX by then (which it sounds like that won't be the case) than its a candidate. Of not....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    corymcnutt likes this.
    01-06-11 04:25 PM
    Well at least RIM and Apple don't. Seems like Android/WP7 manufacturers are less secretive. But RIM states several times that "they don't like to comment on future products."

I think RIM really wants to hit hard in May with BB World. The name change signifies a new change for them where they'll show all their latest and greatest. I'm sure we'll see multi-core from there on out. I'm just really scratching my head at what they'll do in the meantime.
    I don't even think they really know where they are going yet beyond playbook.
    01-06-11 04:31 PM
    One thought is that RIM thinks they can let this craziness continue with android and iphone and thwn come back in late 2011 or early 2012 with some hot new QNX devices and win everyone back. Not sure how that will go for them. They may find themselves irrelevant.

Besides not sure 1 want that gen 1 QNX device. Seems like RIM is going to a market while still welding the deck plates in place. Again. The playbook looks nice for what we have seen, but that has all been controlled heavily by RIM. There is a lot we haven't scene.

I can hang with this S2 I got for a bit, but once I can read some solid reviews on the new LTE devices and maybe play with them it will be time to move on. If there is an S3 running QNX by then (which it sounds like that won't be the case) than its a candidate. Of not....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    exactly. 2011 is the year of android. but wait! qnx is coming in 2012!
    01-06-11 04:32 PM
    So basically RIM continues to tell folks who want a high end cutting edge device "go away, we don't like you and don't want your money" in favor of producing low end stuff for the world market...

At least there are some sweet Android devices coming out to keep us happy...
    rimm does not do high end. it's not in the DNA. but give them some time to "buy" the expertise.
    01-06-11 04:33 PM
106 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD