If the apps for it don't measure up to the iPad. Apps nowadays are one of the most interesting subject for touch screen devices and if there are none than the device will ultimately fail. I hate to bring up the iPod touch and iPad but think about it, they're biggest selling point is the apps...along with touchscreen.

Now I know that RIM has already allowed developers to create apps for the PlayBook but I'm gonna say one thing. They need to get a lot of people to be on board. Oh and one more thing, I can see ruining this whole thing is the COST, know how many apps I have for my Torch compared to what I did have on my iPhone? My iPhone had anything you could think of, my Torch has zip because there aren't a whole lot of ".99 cent" applications. That is what makes an app so successful is the relatively easy way to get them. If they make them 8 dollars than noone is going to buy them. I go on the app world and there is ****all for free apps. If developers are going to charge for crap than that is it for the Playbook. I want angry birds in HD...For free.
    01-06-11 01:22 AM
    I too am wondering about the cost of the apps.

If the apps aren't that good, aren't plentiful (not much to choose from), and are too expensive, then the tablet isn't going to do well at all.

Both Apple and Android have succeeded in having very large app selections at very good prices, but I cant' say the same for BB.
    enb123 and JoelTruckerDude like this.
    01-06-11 01:24 AM
    LOL, great first post....
    01-06-11 01:36 AM
    Right?....register for the Crackberry forum to post that the Playbook will fail.
    01-06-11 01:49 AM
    indeed..lamo
    01-06-11 02:19 AM
    How many trolls does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Last edited by thymaster; 01-06-11 at 02:42 AM.
    01-06-11 02:37 AM
    Are apps all that, the Wife on her PC at home rarely uses anything but the browser. Its all about the web experience and for many Flash is a major part of that.
    evilredzombie likes this.
    01-06-11 02:42 AM
    I really hope the PlayBook can offer apps to match the iPhone and iPad. I so want an app that sounds like a belch, and one that sounds like a fart, -

There are already plenty of useful, productive apps available for the BlackBerry, and I have no doubt there will be plenty of useful, productive apps for the Playbook. As far as useless games and sound effects - don't want them, don't care about them, could care less if developers take the time to develop them.

I seriously doubt that the Playbook will fail based on whether or not it has a slew of useless iPhone type apps.
    Last edited by RBernier; 01-06-11 at 03:41 AM.
    01-06-11 03:39 AM
    Gotta love ignorant opinionated speculations and the lack of common sense these days.

Want a cookie?

Thnx, �Tripster�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    01-06-11 03:48 AM
    First post or not, he/she is telling the truth.
    devGOD likes this.
    01-06-11 03:53 AM
    First post or not, he/she is telling the truth.
    What is your evidence?
    01-06-11 03:58 AM
    What is your evidence?
    So you actually believe that the Playbook's success DOESN'T ultimately depend on it's app selection? If that's the case, you're as dumb as Mike Lazaridis.
    devGOD likes this.
    01-06-11 04:01 AM
    Considering that it is his first post, okay I am a little suspicious because of that. Well, I can't really say what is my opinion on it since I don't have a tablet. But what I can say is I believe tablets are always great with apps. RIM has less apps compared to almighty Apple etc etc. However, this does not certainly mean that RIM isn't that good
    01-06-11 04:14 AM
    So you actually believe that the Playbook's success DOESN'T ultimately depend on it's app selection? If that's the case, you're as dumb as Mike Lazaridis.
    To a non blackberry user the playbook is nothing to get excited about, there will be and android tablet with better specs but then, 3 months down the line another will show up.
    To a blackberry user it offers a HUGE advantage by integrating with the blackberry and sharing the data plans.
    I said it before, ipad duplicates the iphone and android is the same.
    Playbook enhances the blackberry and shares everything. Let me explain:
    Let's say you own an ipad and an iphone, you have 10gb of music/photos/videos etc in your iphone, to be able to listen/view them on your ipad you'll have to download them again basically wasting another 10gb of storage memory.
    With the playbook you can access them directly from the blackberry, no need to download them again. 10gb of storage memory saved.
    And on top of that no extra cost for data.

makaveli28 likes this.
    01-06-11 04:17 AM
    To a non blackberry user the playbook is nothing to get excited about, there will be and android tablet with better specs but then, 3 months down the line another will show up.
    To a blackberry user it offers a HUGE advantage by integrating with the blackberry and sharing the data plans.
    I said it before, ipad duplicates the iphone and android is the same.
    Playbook enhances the blackberry and shares everything. Let me explain:
    Let's say you own an ipad and an iphone, you have 10gb of music/photos/videos etc in your iphone, to be able to listen/view them on your ipad you'll have to download them again basically wasting another 10gb of storage memory.
    With the playbook you can access them directly from the blackberry, no need to download them again. 10gb of storage memory saved.
    And on top of that no extra cost for data.

I do not disagree with anything that you just said, but I think app selection is going to be vital to the Playbook's success. I don't think that the Playbook will succeed if RIM is only targeting the BB loyalists. Without a healthy selection of apps, John Q. Customer is going to look at the Playbook and say "Why should I buy a Playbook when the iPad does this, or the Galaxy Tab does that."
    devGOD and Artemis68 like this.
    01-06-11 04:27 AM
    I do not disagree with anything that you just said, but I think app selection is going to be vital to the Playbook's success. I don't think that the Playbook will succeed if RIM is only targeting the BB loyalists. Without a healthy selection of apps, John Q. Customer is going to look at the Playbook and say "Why should I buy a Playbook when the iPad does this, or the Galaxy Tab does that."
    Ah but only the first one is aimed at blackberry loyalists, they already announced a 4G one for this summer and I bet there'll be more and in more sizes.

01-06-11 04:30 AM
    Ah but only the first one is aimed at blackberry loyalists, they already announced a 4G one for this summer and I bet there'll be more and in more sizes.

I'm not so sure that's a wise move considering that I just read an article saying that there are more than 80 new tablets on display at CES.
    01-06-11 04:38 AM
    I'm not so sure that's a wise move considering that I just read an article saying that there are more than 80 new tablets on display at CES.
    Why not, ipad offers nothing special to an existing iphone owner and neither does Android, just duplication. At least the playbook offers some incentives to existing blackberry users.
    They will never sell as many as apple sells ipads but that doesn't mean it will fail. Connect it to a monitor and a keyboard and you got yourself a mini computer, at least for media consumption it will do.

01-06-11 04:51 AM
    Which sorts of sets it apart by itself. when people compare platformae they will be using the iPad, the PlayBook, and (insert hardware brand)'s tablet running (Android/Windows 7/etc)

I don't know the numbers, but people who buy android/Windows tablets will be divided up among the many harware solutions, so no individual solution will be known nearly as well st the iPad.

In the end, the PlayBook will stick out more than the other individual non-iPad devices.

And as for the app market, they will be there. Although I'd recommend you ask your friends and family what they would use a Tablet for before deciding that EVERYBODY wants EVERY app ever imagined.
    01-06-11 05:02 AM
    He he, just realised something, if you can use your blackberry trough the playbook ui but then you can use your playbook ui trough a large monitor, this means you can now use your blackberry on a full size monitor. Nice.

01-06-11 05:10 AM

Sorry but you may be right about the iPad recognition, but Blackberry still has more namebrand appeal than the Galaxy Tab.. side by side, the casual customer is going to pick the BLACKBERRY tablet, not the "Galaxy Tab".
    01-06-11 05:15 AM
    Why not, ipad offers nothing special to an existing iphone owner and neither does Android, just duplication. At least the playbook offers some incentives to existing blackberry users.
    They will never sell as many as apple sells ipads but that doesn't mean it will fail. Connect it to a monitor and a keyboard and you got yourself a mini computer, at least for media consumption it will do.

Like it or not, the iPad doesn't have to offer anything different simply because it is viewed as the "standard". The Playbook had better offer something different because hardly anyone is going to compare the iPad to the Playbook, but everyone will compare the Playbook to the iPad. In other words, the Playbook will have to exceed the iPad's performance and specs, while the reverse isn't necessarily true. For example, My daughter (Who has a Droid Incredible that she absolutely loves!) wants an iPad in the worst way. I asked her why not a Samsung Galaxy Tab, her response was simply "Because it's not an iPad.". Right or wrong, she is obviously not alone in this way of thinking. And this, IMHO is Apples greatest strength.
    01-06-11 05:18 AM
    Like it or not, the iPad doesn't have to offer anything different simply because it is viewed as the "standard". The Playbook had better offer something different because hardly anyone is going to compare the iPad to the Playbook, but everyone will compare the Playbook to the iPad. In other words, the Playbook will have to exceed the iPad's performance and specs, while the reverse isn't necessarily true. For example, My daughter (Who has a Droid Incredible that she absolutely loves!) wants an iPad in the worst way. I asked her why not a Samsung Galaxy Tab, her response was simply "Because it's not an iPad.". Right or wrong, she is obviously not alone in this way of thinking. And this, IMHO is Apples greatest strength.
    Exactly my point about ipads and android tablets, on the other hand, when a blackberry user looks at a playbook they will think "this will enhance my blackberry experience at no extra data cost and I can now browse/view photos/videos on a bigger screen or even bigger if I connect to a monitor"
    Once they realise that the playbook has no competition anymore.

01-06-11 05:25 AM
    Sorry but you may be right about the iPad recognition, but Blackberry still has more namebrand appeal than the Galaxy Tab.. side by side, the casual customer is going to pick the BLACKBERRY tablet, not the "Galaxy Tab".
    I actually just used The Galaxy Tab because it was among the first that came to mind. But it is running the Android OS which means that it has a healthy selection of apps. Like I said in an earlier post, they are showing over 80 tablets at CES this year, and I believe that the ones running Android will have an advantage (outside of the iPad) because of Android's abundance of apps.
    01-06-11 05:25 AM
    Once they realise that the playbook has no competition anymore.
    Among BB loyalists maybe, but those loyalists numbers are dwindling by the day.
    01-06-11 05:28 AM
263 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD