I wanted to share with everyone my experience in recovering my 9650 I thought I lost in new years eve..

I was in a cab in Chicago coming from new years eve dinner with my wife. The cab dropped us off to our hotel, and as I was walking through the lobby, I realized I didn't have my bb in my left pocket (my very usual place to keep it)! I quickly checked everywhere... Nothing... We started calling it to see if I left or dropped it in the cab (I was sure of it). No answer... I thought I had just lost a best friend... All those contacts, msgs, emails, multitasking, etc that I'm used to with my best friend just flashed through my eyes.. I was ready to call Verizon and have it cancelled.

After calling my bb for about 15 times, I called Verizon. New Years Eve wait was over 30 mins... I hung up. Called it some more... Then I remembered this wonderful app that I had installed from Asurion (my mobile recovery for blackberry). I quickly logged on to my computer and found that my bb was indeed traveling in the city... It was in the cab. So I clicked on the "sound alarm" feature on my account online. It sent a very loud signal to my bb that the cab driver could not avoid hearing. For 2 mins. Then I called my phone again.. Here's the cab driver! He picked up. I asked him to bring the phone back to me. He was closeby anyway. He came to my hotel. I tipped him $20. Mission complete!

Lesson #1: never underestimate the power of your bb regardless of the problems it is giving you
    Lesson #2: use the asurion's app if you have insurance through them! It works!
    Lesson #3: back up your bb at least 2x/mo so in case you lose it you have something
    Lesson #4: don't get upset at Verizon CSR on the phone for having you wait more than 30 mins. Sometimes they do it for your good (lol!)
    Lesson #5: LOVE & CARE FOR YOUR BB!!

Thanks for reading!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Fit24, 7scarabs and raysivley like this.
    01-04-11 06:44 AM
    Awesome! I'm glad the Cab driver was kind enough to bring the phone back to you.

01-04-11 06:47 AM
    Yes he was indeed. He told me it happened a few times to him before, but I was very quick to realize that I left it there

01-04-11 07:00 AM
    Wow! This gave me the chills!!!! A real feel good story. I am going to look into Ausrion's app right now!

What a great lesson for all of us. I know how I would feel if I lost mine.
    01-04-11 07:01 AM
    Some story!

Me too JayDee, I'll be checking it out. I have one called Simpletrax that knows where my Baby Bold is at all times, I don't think it has the loud noise feature, but it is FREE and I like free...
    01-04-11 07:20 AM
    if you are already paying for the Asurion insurance ($6/mo) then this app comes with it. Nothing extra. It works in the background and eats very little memory. However it impacts your battery life if you set the GPS logging as often as 15 mins. it has features like sound alarm, erase contacts, and erase all data remotely (given that your bb has a mobile signal--not GPS). GPS signal is necessary if you want to know where your bb is at a certain time. Mymobilerecovery.com is the address. Good luck!

01-04-11 07:27 AM
    I love to hear lost/recovered stories for bb's or any phone for that matter! I think its great you found your bb and the cabbie was honest enough to bring it back to you
    I dont know what I would do if I lost my bb either, probably curl up in the fetal position lol. I use it for everything.
    I am going to check out this app as well. Ironically, I lose my bb in my house all the time I awlays forget where i left it last
    01-04-11 08:13 AM
    In your list of comments, you left out an important Lesson#: Use a Password on a Security Timer. Not all people are scrupulous and will return your device. Don't give them your information as well.

Congrats on recovering your 'friend'. BlackBerry reunions always warm the heart on a chilly day.

McNibbler likes this.
    01-04-11 08:27 AM
    Very true, BergerKing. I agree.

01-04-11 08:28 AM
    I'm guessing this Asurion recovery app only works with VZW? I haven't heard of it for Sprint. I'm currently using BuddyGuard Free, which allows me to lock and send an alert out, but a free GPS tracking and wipe would be nice as well.

Glad to hear you got your phone back without too much hassle!
    01-04-11 12:55 PM
    Congrats on getting your friend home safe. I personally use lookout mobile security. I also love the back up and restore feature.
    01-04-11 01:11 PM
    Thanks guys! Yes, this app is for asurion vzw users. But other options you guys listed seem to be doing the job, too. Nice security feature for sure

01-04-11 03:15 PM
    I have downloaded the Asurion app. I appreciate the heads up!
    01-04-11 03:19 PM
    Thanks so much for posting this! I've been a VZW customer for years and wasn't aware that this app was available through Asurion. We have VZW, and insurance, for our business phones too, so I will share this info with my associates.
    01-04-11 09:53 PM
    Nice Story!! thanks for sharing it with us!!
    01-05-11 02:21 AM
    Great! You're welcome!

01-05-11 08:38 AM
    hi everyone! Just wanted to share with you - I added on my total equipment coverage on my Bold Sunday, 1/9. Since then, I've rec'd a text msg from VzW for my free app, "Mobile Recovery" that is included with my equipment ins., dwnld the link and activated it. I just tested it and its pretty neat The beeping sound is loud, ear piercing. When you sign into your Mobile Recovery account, it will show you where you've been. Gsp has to be enabled and you can set a time to locate where you've been - mine is set to every hour. Now I just have to activate my sons also.

Thanks IC for sharing this app info with us! Much appreciated
    01-13-11 07:44 PM
    yay for you!!!
    01-13-11 09:11 PM
    That's so awesome! enjoy it! I hope you won't have to use it, but if you do, at least you're sure that it works

01-14-11 07:57 AM
    yay for you!!!
    Ty! I'm happy to know its there for my son & I IF I ever need it, hopefully i wont.
    That's so awesome! enjoy it! I hope you won't have to use it, but if you do, at least you're sure that it works

Ty,I will enjoy! I'm glad you shared this app info with us And, hopefully I will never need to use it
    01-14-11 09:11 AM
    I installed this app as well. Good wake up call.
    01-14-11 10:06 AM
    For those who have been using this app, how is it on battery drain? How frequently do you have the GPS update set for? Thanks!
    01-14-11 10:23 AM
    I installed this app as well. Good wake up call.
    awesome jaydee! Yes that it is!

01-14-11 10:41 AM
    For those who have been using this app, how is it on battery drain? How frequently do you have the GPS update set for? Thanks!
    I've had it installed since yest morn & as far as battery drain- I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary-my batt seems to be on par. I have the gsp set to update every hour but I think you can set it as frequent as every 15 mins if I rem clearly. I'll post the link for you. Gimme 2mins
    Here ya go: My Mobile Recovery.com
    The app is free if you take VzW's total equipment coverage for $6 or $7 mthly. If you don't, idk how much the app is then.

Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 01-14-11 at 10:56 AM.
    tmord1 likes this.
    01-14-11 10:43 AM
    Very cool read.

I just recently installed Lookout on my 9650 in case I ever lose it. I'm waiting for BlackBerry Protect to update for 9650/6.0
    01-14-11 10:54 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD