NEW YORK (AFP) � The bells weren't ringing for many iPhone users this New Year's weekend, when thanks to a glitch the alarms on Apple's iconic mobile phones failed to go off, causing many to oversleep.

It was the second time in just a few months that the alarm function on the phone failed to activate correctly, prompting an avalanche of complaints on the social networking micro-blog Twitter.

"Dear iPhone, why didn't your alarm go off this morning? I set six of them. I've now missed church. Thanks for nothing," said one user Sunday morning.

"Some sort of digital iPhone pandemic is going on. Alarm clock failure reports are pouring in from all sources around the globe," said another Twitter user.

Apple said in a message sent to Macworld magazine that the California-based company was aware of the problem. "We're aware of an issue related to non-repeating alarms set for January 1 or 2," spokeswoman Natalie Harrison said.

"Customers can set recurring alarms for those dates and all alarms will work properly beginning January 3."

The problem seemed to be affecting Apple's most recent versions of iPhones and iPods launched in November, but website Engadget suggested that it may also have hit earlier versions.

The problem first occurred when the clocks went back at the end of October and early November when Australian and British iPhone owners complained of being late for work because their alarms had not switched over to the new time.

Apple did not immediately respond to a query from AFP on Sunday.

iPhone alarm glitch leaves users fuming - Yahoo! News
    01-03-11 06:22 PM
    Maybe Steve Jobs will start offering travel alarms to go along with their bumper cases.
    01-03-11 06:32 PM
    I don't bash iPhones or any other phones, I just like my BlackBerry better. But I still never use it for an alarm clock.
    01-03-11 06:32 PM
    @18to12fitty, I understand why some do and why others don't. I lost my REAL alarm clock so I started using my phone. I'm the proud owner of an internal alarm now. I hate that thing; it sometimes wakes me up too early.
    01-03-11 06:39 PM
    NEW YORK (AFP) � The bells weren't ringing for many iPhone users this New Year's weekend, when thanks to a glitch the alarms on Apple's iconic mobile phones failed to go off, causing many to oversleep.

It was the second time in just a few months that the alarm function on the phone failed to activate correctly, prompting an avalanche of complaints on the social networking micro-blog Twitter.

"Dear iPhone, why didn't your alarm go off this morning? I set six of them. I've now missed church. Thanks for nothing," said one user Sunday morning.

"Some sort of digital iPhone pandemic is going on. Alarm clock failure reports are pouring in from all sources around the globe," said another Twitter user.

Apple said in a message sent to Macworld magazine that the California-based company was aware of the problem. "We're aware of an issue related to non-repeating alarms set for January 1 or 2," spokeswoman Natalie Harrison said.

"Customers can set recurring alarms for those dates and all alarms will work properly beginning January 3."

The problem seemed to be affecting Apple's most recent versions of iPhones and iPods launched in November, but website Engadget suggested that it may also have hit earlier versions.

The problem first occurred when the clocks went back at the end of October and early November when Australian and British iPhone owners complained of being late for work because their alarms had not switched over to the new time.

But iPhone users can laugh at BB users when BIS goes down every month or more and when they have to was 2-6mins for a phone reboot. If there was a running tab the BB has more issue than the iphone. there is an update leaked or not for BB fixes a lot more than for any other OS.
    01-03-11 06:41 PM
    You know what? BlackBerry users with an iota of intellect don't bash anything. The
    bashing (anyone on any platform) comes from the shallow, small-minded simpletons
    that think the only way they can justify their choice, as if THEIR CHOICE isn't enough,
    by tearing down everything else.

It is stupid, tedious and really quite friggin annoying.
    K Bear, ria__x, ruger141 and 10 others like this.
    01-03-11 06:53 PM
    But iPhone users can laugh at BB users when BIS goes down every month or more and when they have to was 2-6mins for a phone reboot. If there was a running tab the BB has more issue than the iphone. there is an update leaked or not for BB fixes a lot more than for any other OS.
    Yet here you are on a BB forum posting away. What happened got kicked out of HTC forums?
    01-03-11 06:58 PM
    i never `bash` any phones, as nothing in this world is perfect

but there are alarm apps if your worried, true useage of `theres an app for that`
    01-03-11 07:05 PM
    Yet here you are on a BB forum posting away. What happened got kicked out of HTC forums?
    crackberry has a windows phone section and wpcentral. And why would I be on an HTC forums they just make phones they'll make a phone for anyone. RIM should call HTC
    01-03-11 07:17 PM
    You know what? BlackBerry users with an iota of intellect don't bash anything. The
    bashing (anyone on any platform) comes from the shallow, small-minded simpletons
    that think the only way they can justify their choice, as if THEIR CHOICE isn't enough,

I took great joy in Bashing my HTC Touch when I was done with it, using both a Rock and my boot, it was joyous!
    01-03-11 07:21 PM
    BIS going down has nothing to do with the phone itself. I don't like to bash also and I posted this quoting trusted sources, you don't see any bad words coming from me. That beeing said, the reason I posted this is because I can't help wondering: If Apple screwed up a basic function like the alarm clock, how can someone who uses iphone be sure other function are reliable? Are you certain you are reminded for your next appointment? For you who sleep at home every night the alarm clock is not critical. How about businessmen or athletes? Do they have to carry an alarm clock with them?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 07:33 PM
    The thing I notice is that if this alarm issue were a BB problem, there would be plenty of non-BB users posting derisively about it.

Also, why don't the iPhone users who frequent this site to help "spread their smartphone knowledge" start a thread about this to inform their brethren in the iPhone forum here? It's big talk on TiPB. If I try to post some info for them, I'm labeled a troll and told its a non-issue...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 01-03-11 at 07:49 PM.
    01-03-11 07:46 PM
    BIS going down has nothing to do with the phone itself. I don't like to bash also and I posted this quoting trusted sources, you don't see any bad words coming from me. That beeing said, the reason I posted this is because I can't help wondering: If Apple screwed up a basic function like the alarm clock, how can someone who uses iphone be sure other function are reliable? Are you certain you are reminded for your next appointment? For you who sleep at home every night the alarm clock is not critical. How about businessmen or athletes? Do they have to carry an alarm clock with them?

And the best messaging smartphones cannot even display half of your HTML email without truncating them.

It goes both ways.

Just stop it. Blackberries are almost universally worse than iPhones, anyways, so I can see how this small victory counts.

It still won't stop RIM's marketshare from dropping, and it won't stop them from giving your 2008-era smartphones in 2011...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-03-11 at 07:55 PM.
    devGOD and howarmat like this.
    01-03-11 07:51 PM
    Maybe Steve Jobs will start offering travel alarms to go along with their bumper cases.
    Are batteries included? Hmm..

Don't want to hate on iPhones too much but the thing seems like a toy in my hands. Blackberry is like the ultimate multi-tasking tool.

01-03-11 07:58 PM
    The most sincere help I received from anyone was from a current Droid owner/former Blackberry owner. If it wasn't for his "Posted from my Droid at wapforums.crackberry.com" I never would have known. He had no ego or qualms about letting other bb owners benefit from his extensive experience, and to this day I am humbled ny his gracious additude. I still cannot understand why so many people using other platforms should be threatened by others. It's as stupid as chocolate is better than strawberry, blue eyes are better than brown and white is better than black. But considering human nature, it isn't surprising. In the past wars have been started over a pigs, combs and even last names. Just ask the Hatfields what they still think of the McCoys.

01-03-11 08:22 PM
    The most sincere help I received from anyone was from a current Droid owner/former Blackberry owner. If it wasn't for his "Posted from my Droid at wapforums.crackberry.com" I never would have known. He had no ego or qualms about letting other bb owners benefit from his extensive experience, and to this day I am humbled ny his gracious additude. I still cannot understand why so many people using other platforms should be threatened by others. It's as stupid as chocolate is better than strawberry, blue eyes are better than brown and white is better than black. But considering human nature, it isn't surprising. In the past wars have been started over a pigs, combs and even last names. Just ask the Hatfields what they still think of the McCoys.

Chocolate and blue eyes FTW!
    01-03-11 08:30 PM

This sums up the way I feel about the subject. What's good for me may not necessarily be good for you and visa versa.
    01-03-11 08:59 PM
    @18to12fitty, I understand why some do and why others don't. I lost my REAL alarm clock so I started using my phone. I'm the proud owner of an internal alarm now. I hate that thing; it sometimes wakes me up too early.
    My first semester in college (2 years ago), I had a few 8 A.M classes, and my internal alarm has been set around 6:45 since then.
    01-03-11 09:06 PM

Wow... A little alarm clock bug is supposed to be an Apple bash? Apple bashing is just getting pathetic. After buying an iPod touch (which runs iOS, if you don't know already) I can honestly say why BB users bash the iPhone. Jealousy.

Using a BB means that you have to accept:

1. Lack of a normal touchscreen.
    2. Embarrassing collection of apps
    3. Fairly new devices being EOL'd way before they should be.
    4. Poor internet browsing
    5. Poor specs on their newest phones. (Torch screen res is the same as the Storm 1 that is already a few years old)

I'm not going to say that the keyboards aren't nice, but RIM has a lot of problems to solve before it can make a comeback.

Not to say the iPhone is perfect, but you at least get:

1. Beautiful screen
    2. Very good mobile web browsing
    3. A huge selection of apps ranging from the grumpy businessman to a child
    4. Long support for old devices. (iPhone 3G is as old as the Storm and it is still being updated)
    5. A4 processor

This isn't like some post about why I hate RIM, but it's obvious that the whole "We get BBM and a nice keyboard" argument isn't going to push far when the world is advancing around us. BB users feel the need to complain about every single fault that the iPhone/Android have when we have just as many problems as them. Just because you can actually have fun on a device doesn't make it a toy. Every Smartphone has its ups and downs.
    devGOD likes this.
    01-03-11 09:23 PM
    Wow... A little alarm clock bug is supposed to be an Apple bash? Apple bashing is just getting pathetic. After buying an iPod touch (which runs iOS, if you don't know already) I can honestly say why BB users bash the iPhone. Jealousy.

Using a BB means that you have to accept:

1. Lack of a normal touchscreen.
    2. Embarrassing collection of apps
    3. Fairly new devices being EOL'd way before they should be.
    4. Poor internet browsing
    5. Poor specs on their newest phones. (Torch screen res is the same as the Storm 1 that is already a few years old)

I'm not going to say that the keyboards aren't nice, but RIM has a lot of problems to solve before it can make a comeback.

Not to say the iPhone is perfect, but you at least get:

1. Beautiful screen
    2. Very good mobile web browsing
    3. A huge selection of apps ranging from the grumpy businessman to a child
    4. Long support for old devices. (iPhone 3G is as old as the Storm and it is still being updated)
    5. A4 processor

This isn't like some post about why I hate RIM, but it's obvious that the whole "We get BBM and a nice keyboard" argument isn't going to push far when the world is advancing around us. BB users feel the need to complain about every single fault that the iPhone/Android have when we have just as many problems as them. Just because you can actually have fun on a device doesn't make it a toy. Every Smartphone has its ups and downs.
    You do know that YOU are now bashing, right?
    devGOD likes this.
    01-03-11 09:33 PM
    You do know that YOU are now bashing, right?
    Sorry, I don't mean to bash. That's not my intention at all. I just want to point out that a little alarm bug isn't some huge victory for RIM. Like I said, every phone has its problems, but smartphone users seem to have a jealousy toward others and need to feel like their phone is the best.
    01-03-11 09:47 PM
    ^ I wonder if the same people compare their toasters, Coffee makers, and other appliances.
    My 2 cents. A smartphone needs to be a phone first before anything else. If it fails or is substandard in that dept then I wouldn't consider it as a Good buy.

01-03-11 10:02 PM
    ^ I wonder if the same people compare their toasters, Coffee makers, and other appliances.
    My 2 cents. A smartphone needs to be a phone first before anything else. If it fails or is substandard in that dept then I wouldn't consider it as a Good buy.

Wouldn't surprise me.

People still give me crap about buying a Mac when their PCs have some better processor or whatever. But I can still get a good laugh when their Internet Explorers stop responding.
    01-03-11 10:06 PM
    I don't bash iPhones or any other phones, I just like my BlackBerry better. But I still never use it for an alarm clock.
    I use my 9780 in a Seidio cradle on my bed stand.
    Best alarm clock I've ever had. I really like the auto dimming "bedside mode" that automatically activates when the phone goes in the cradle
    01-03-11 10:14 PM
    Well most od the times, it's the iphone User " who Feels that he/she is the Center of the Universe" who starts the Conversation. And it always begin with why the iphone is the PERFECT phone for him/her and perfect for the the other Guy.
    And BB users politely point out why it's not the Case.
    Android users on the other hand...well, that's a different story.

TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-03-11 10:16 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD