Can a Torch be unlocked to work on the Sprint Network?

I'm currently using a Curve 8530 and would like something with a little more "Umph." The Curve is good, but its small and basic and lack speed.
    01-03-11 05:35 PM
    No it cannot. Sprint is CDMA and the Torch is GSM.
    01-03-11 05:39 PM
    Second that... Cannot be used on the Sprint Network.
    01-03-11 05:42 PM
    A search would have turned up the answer as well.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/un...sprint-515994/
    01-03-11 06:44 PM
    I've been dreaming of a sprint torch but alas it looks like the rumors of a CES announcement isn't going to happen. If someone wants a good touch screen blackberry AT&T is the only option.
    01-03-11 07:44 PM
    CES announcement or not, there are rumours from multiple sources that a CDMA Torch will release within next few months. I've heard the model number 9850 thrown around.

A lot of people are eagerly awaiting confirmation one way or the other. Hopefully RIM and/or a carrier will announce something soon.
    01-03-11 07:49 PM
    well if this happens :More Evidence that iPhone going to Verizon in January 2011 [REPORT]

much will changes being verizon and sprint are both cdma, you know BB will have to move ahead to stay with the competition, and att will scramble to retrieve the RUMORED 6 million defectors
    01-05-11 01:26 PM
    well if this happens :More Evidence that iPhone going to Verizon in January 2011 [REPORT]

much will changes being verizon and sprint are both cdma, you know BB will have to move ahead to stay with the competition, and att will scramble to retrieve the RUMORED 6 million defectors
    Have fun on with crappy data connections on Verizon if that actually happens. Could you imagine the strain on the network if 6 million data-hogging iphone users were to drop onto the network? That's not even counting the existing Verizon customers that would likely switch to the iphone from other platforms. The network would slow to a crawl...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 01:54 PM

Really? An article that's two months old? And what does this have to do with a Torch on Sprint?

Have fun on with crappy data connections on Verizon if that actually happens. Could you imagine the strain on the network if 6 million data-hogging iphone users were to drop onto the network? That's not even counting the existing Verizon customers that would likely switch to the iphone from other platforms. The network would slow to a crawl...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm sure there's some truth to this, but don't you think Verizon and Apple know this? Both companies don't want a repeat of what happened to Att, so they have probably prepared for a huge number of people switching to the iPhone. If/when the iPhone does come to Verizon, both companies will be ready for it. Verizon has already had some good practice with all their data hogging Android phones. Also, carriers know more about what smart-phones do to their networks than they did a couple years ago.
    01-05-11 02:08 PM
    Really? An article that's two months old? And what does this have to do with a Torch on Sprint?

I'm sure there's some truth to this, but don't you think Verizon and Apple know this? Both companies don't want a repeat of what happened to Att, so they have probably prepared for a huge number of people switching to the iPhone. If/when the iPhone does come to Verizon, both companies will be ready for it. Verizon has already had some good practice with all their data hogging Android phones. Also, carriers know more about what smart-phones do to their networks than they did a couple years ago.
    I have no doubt that they have done some planning in this area, and I doubt that the actual number of defectors will be as high as 6 million. Lots of those users are most likely less than 6 months into their contracts for their iphone 4's, so I doubt there are that many people willing to pay cancellation fees to switch right away. I still think there will be a strain on the network that will be noticeable to current users, especially if a large number of BB users migrate to iphone. Since these users are traditionally light data users in comparison to other platforms, this immediate increase will have a profound affect. I'm sure Verizon has planned for all this, but do they really have 5-10 times the bandwidth they have currently in reserve?
    01-05-11 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD