I switched from the 9000 to the 9700 after about 18-20 months with my original Bold. It was one of the best devices I had ever used.

My 9700 is crap. I switched from using it as my personal device to an iPhone 4, and now have unlocked my AT&T 9700 to use on T-Mobile for my work phone.

I am having a few problems. First I can't get anything past "edge" for service.

Also when I try and set up my e-mail it says that "Your device had a problem connecting to the server." I have tried this both using, and not using wi-fi.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    01-03-11 04:46 PM
    If I was you, (if you got it under warranty), I would give it back. Just get a nice, fresh clean slate.
    01-03-11 04:53 PM
    T-Mobile's 3G bands and AT&T's 3G bands are different, you won't get more than edge service.
    01-03-11 05:08 PM
    T-Mobile's 3G bands and AT&T's 3G bands are different, you won't get more than edge service.

Very true.
    01-03-11 05:13 PM
    Good call. But shouldn't I at least be able to get EDGE and not edge?
    01-03-11 05:14 PM
    It depends on your coverage. Does it ever change from edge to EDGE while out running around?
    01-03-11 05:17 PM
    Are you on BIS or BES?
    01-03-11 05:19 PM
    Are you on BIS or BES?
    I am on BIS.
    01-03-11 05:20 PM
    It depends on your coverage. Does it ever change from edge to EDGE while out running around?
    It's always on edge.
    01-03-11 05:20 PM
    whats the difference between edge and EDGE?
    01-03-11 05:22 PM
    I am on BIS.
    Have you logged in to T-Mobile's BIS site and changed your device there?
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=tmobile
    01-03-11 05:23 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f69/edge-gprs-gsm-25419/
    01-03-11 05:25 PM
    Have you logged in to T-Mobile's BIS site and changed your device there?
    https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=tmobile
    Yes. It didn't make a difference.
    01-03-11 05:36 PM
    Have you resent your service books?
    01-03-11 05:38 PM
    Have you resent your service books?
    The joke that is the T-Mobile website isn't giving me an option to get into my BIS account to re-send them. When I click the link from above it just tells me that my session has timed out and to close my browser.

Thanks for all of your help thus far. I do appreciate it.
    01-03-11 05:46 PM
    Same as the difference between 3g and 3G.
    01-03-11 05:50 PM
    Have you called T-Mobile and talked to the Blackberry Department? Some of those guys are pretty knowledgeable on unlocked phones.
    01-03-11 05:56 PM
    The joke that is the T-Mobile website isn't giving me an option to get into my BIS account to re-send them. When I click the link from above it just tells me that my session has timed out and to close my browser.

Thanks for all of your help thus far. I do appreciate it.
    That was happening to a friend of mine as well. She waited a few days, and tried again, and it worked. Maybe they are doing maintenance?
    01-03-11 06:01 PM
    First of all, at&t's frequenicies don't work on tmob, you'll get edge and that's it. You also didn't release the PIN or IMEI.

Yeh, I'm late lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 07:01 PM
    Same as the difference between 3g and 3G.
    Lowercase=no data connection or data service off.
    Uppercase=data service active and connected.

01-03-11 07:03 PM
    First of all, at&t's frequenicies don't work on tmob, you'll get edge and that's it. You also didn't release the PIN or IMEI.

Yeh, I'm late lol

If the device is activated on BIS, it should be capable of getting EDGE (upper case), not only edge (lower case).
    01-03-11 07:04 PM
    I switched from the 9000 to the 9700 after about 18-20 months with my original Bold. It was one of the best devices I had ever used.

My 9700 is crap. I switched from using it as my personal device to an iPhone 4, and now have unlocked my AT&T 9700 to use on T-Mobile for my work phone.

I am having a few problems. First I can't get anything past "edge" for service.

Also when I try and set up my e-mail it says that "Your device had a problem connecting to the server." I have tried this both using, and not using wi-fi.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Try this, go to mobile network options and run diagnostic on it. At least your handheld has to be registered with the network first. While the diagnostic is running, read if you are connected to BIS or BES. That's your clue there. If it's not connected (and you're sure you already have BIS plan subscribed) try turning off and on your network connection in like every 15 minutes. Do try hard reset occasionally. This happens to me everytime I switch to local network provider when I go overseas.

Oh, just to remind what others have said you can never have 3G because you're using ATT's device on T-Mobile network.
    01-03-11 11:31 PM
    Lowercase=no data connection or data service off.
    Uppercase=data service active and connected.
    Thanks for the info mate! You are one of the most helpful members on these forums
    01-03-11 11:38 PM
    My thanks to all for your suggestions. I ran the diagnostics and it is telling me that there is No Radio Data Activation.

It does show a BIS Server Name along with e-mail addresses I had programmed into my device when I used it on AT&T but that is all.

Maybe if I throw it against the wall that will fix it? Hmmmmm...
    01-04-11 11:03 AM
    Assuming you've got a T-Mobile SIM card?
    Have you tried removing and re-seating the SIM?
    Then be sure your radio is on, and go to options->advanced options->Host Routing Table, then BB key and "Register Now".
    Also check your service book entries, try again to resend service books.
    01-04-11 12:59 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD