This is just something I was thinking about today. What is the advantage of using BBM vs. Regular SMS text? I only have a few BBM contacts and I like to use it quite a bit. Anyone???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 08:23 PM
    BBM can be used to chat with BBM users worldwide without incurring International SMS charges.

12-30-10 08:30 PM
    You can send files via BBM. Data package's are required to have on a smart phone, text message plans cost extra.
    12-30-10 08:32 PM
    I used BBM at first when I was on my Storm. Not so many people have BB in my area. I ended up going with SMS at the end of the day. I didn't really notice any difference in speed or anything. Then again I don't crunch numbers or anything. When I did use BBM I really enjoyed being able to send the voice notes though. I don't know if you can do this with SMS.
    12-30-10 08:34 PM
    I used BBM at first when I was on my Storm. Not so many people have BB in my area. I ended up going with SMS at the end of the day. I didn't really notice any difference in speed or anything. Then again I don't crunch numbers or anything. When I did use BBM I really enjoyed being able to send the voice notes though. I don't know if you can do this with SMS.
    You'd probably need to use MMS. That changes with OS6, which is a lot more flexible.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-30-10 at 09:20 PM.
    12-30-10 09:17 PM
    BBM is a bit faster and just goes on data, you won't really notice much on day to day stuff.

But if you are sending larger files you will, not to mention, its just data, so you don't need to buy a texting plan. If you can BBM or use data to chat with all of your contacts, you could cancel SMS all together and then save money on your bill
    12-30-10 09:29 PM
    SMS can be sent to anyone for whom you have a number independent of device
    BBM will only work with other BlackBerry users which makes it a very limited
    communication medium at best.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-30-10 at 09:47 PM.
    12-30-10 09:45 PM
    Ever since I started BBM, I make an average of 30 text a month. Prior to BBM, I make around 5000 text a month. BBM is the best thing Blackberry came up with imo. I don't think I need a text plan anymore.
    12-31-10 12:10 AM
    Bbm free wordwide, is the best

12-31-10 12:59 AM
    You can see when people read your message!

An awesome little perk !
    12-31-10 01:54 AM
    You can see when people read your message!

An awesome little perk !
    Haha that's nice...
    But there's a trick let not people send R message even if you've read
    But here is not the thread...

12-31-10 02:29 AM
    I am a new BB user, only had the phone for about 1.5 weeks.

I wish I knew what BBM was. So this thread is good as it opened my eyes a little to new possibilities.

I have a prepaid card. Can I use BBM with that free of charge? Oh and what is BBM? :P
    12-31-10 02:57 AM
    I am a new BB user, only had the phone for about 1.5 weeks.

I wish I knew what BBM was. So this thread is good as it opened my eyes a little to new possibilities.

I have a prepaid card. Can I use BBM with that free of charge? Oh and what is BBM? :P
    Blackberry Messenger is an instant messaging app exclusive to Blackberry users. You can find the app on Blackberry App World on your phone. If u have friends that own a Blackberry, you guys can keep in touch through this application. All u have to is sned them your PIN! Hope this kinda helps!

12-31-10 05:13 AM
    Another benefit to using BBM is that you can use the option to save your message history to your microSD card. You can "End Chat"from the menu options to have a clean slate, but still be able to "View recent messages" and even further, "Viewchat history". I don't use that often, but recently had to go back to September messages to locate some info. Voila - ther it was! You can't do that with SMS without an add-on app.

12-31-10 06:25 AM
    Blackberry Messenger is an instant messaging app exclusive to Blackberry users. You can find the app on Blackberry App World on your phone. If u have friends that own a Blackberry, you guys can keep in touch through this application. All u have to is sned them your PIN! Hope this kinda helps!

Ahhh yes it does makes sense now. I have see it on my phone.
    Thanks so much.

Happy New Year to you all.
    12-31-10 11:04 AM
    Ahhh yes it does makes sense now. I have see it on my phone.
    Thanks so much.

Happy New Year to you all.
    No prob, have fun with BBM!

12-31-10 08:29 PM
    No one has mentioned one of the things the BlackBerry is known for......security. BBM is superior to sms because:

1- security, all BB traffic is through RIM's servers and encrypted, sms text are not encrytped in anyway and "can" be intercepted.
    2- BBM is data only and doesn't require a text package
    3- BBM is capable of sending large files of almost any type and again, securely
    4- pinging your buddy is just cool .

12-31-10 11:36 PM
    I like the fact that you can tell if the person read your message or not and you can see when they are writing back. Simple things but hey if ya got 'em use 'em! (:
    01-01-11 12:13 AM
    No one has mentioned one of the things the BlackBerry is known for......security. BBM is superior to sms because:

1- security, all BB traffic is through RIM's servers and encrypted, sms text are not encrytped in anyway and "can" be intercepted.
    2- BBM is data only and doesn't require a text package
    3- BBM is capable of sending large files of almost any type and again, securely
    4- pinging your buddy is just cool .

Blackberry Messenger can only send files 6MB and smaller. Not really an issue for Pictures, Voice Notes, and things of that nature. It's a showstopper for Video, though - HD in particular.

It is quite secure though - practically military grade. Some IM services are secure, but not as hard as BBM.

Bottom line is Blackberry Messenger was designed first and foremost to be an efficient, secure, fast business messaging tool. SMS is, well... Slow, clunky, and just not as good.

I think the biggest thing BBM has over SMS is Group Chat.

If I had 5 people to BBM, I'd totally get a Curve 3G or something and just add it to my Family Plan - just for BBM... If the file size limit wasn't there, I'd get it just to BBM my mom and send her videos from my practices and stuff, she'd love that. But 6MB won't be enough for that...

Are traditional IM services push-enabled on Blackberries, or not?
    01-01-11 02:09 AM
    half if not more of those screaming "more secure" doesn't realize all that RIM security is not or will never be needed. if you're not exchanging top secret company info, then who really cares.

for this reason alone, sms is fine by me and in fact, i like email more than all the others.

i do love bbm, but it has its limits... lots of them.

bb only
    not video sharing
    no large picture files (gets resized)

and a few others.
    01-01-11 03:40 AM
    Are traditional IM services push-enabled on Blackberries, or not?
    yes. some of the major ones have that function.
    01-01-11 03:48 AM
    half if not more of those screaming "more secure" doesn't realize all that RIM security is not or will never be needed. if you're not exchanging top secret company info, then who really cares.

for this reason alone, sms is fine by me and in fact, i like email more than all the others.

i do love bbm, but it has its limits... lots of them.

bb only
    not video sharing
    no large picture files (gets resized)

and a few others.
    It depends on whether or not the device doubles up as a business phone as well.

If it doubles up as a work phone then the security is appreciated, even if not really necessary.

Also, I'm not sure how BBM works, but for SMS if you're using a workphone, although higher ups can't see you messages, they CAN see your activity - right on the carrier's website, since they will likely own the line if they provided the phone and service.

They can see who you sent or recieve the messages to/from as well (the phone numbers; but not what they are).

On family plans, whoever owns the plan can also do this.

SMS works fine as a consumer messaging solution, but it is a bit ... open, for lack of a better term.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-01-11 at 05:34 AM.
    01-01-11 05:32 AM
    yes. some of the major ones have that function.
    If that's the case then I may have to look into it. IM Clients on Android are notoriously terrible, and battery hogs to boot.
    01-01-11 05:32 AM
    No character limit on BBM. I think.
    01-01-11 10:33 AM
    You guys need to try sending voicenotes, it can almost be used as walky talky, send a voicenote, after the other person listens to it they get the option to reply, and so on. It's fun especially when you do it with somebody on a different continent.

01-01-11 11:13 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD