Hello everyone, this is my first post though I've been reading the website for a while!

I got my unlocked curve a while ago and instantly became a blackberry addict. However a few months ago my service provider 3 (I'm in the UK) decided to make their service 3G only. They didn't bother telling anyone this and as the Curve wasn't 3G they cut me off. But I digress...

I'm now on a sony xperia x1 which I do not get on with at all. I'm thinking of getting myself an unlocked torch, but I don't know if I'll have the same problem. Some sources say the torch is 3G, others don't mention it.

So I thought I would ask from the experts! I know this may be a silly small question, but it would be of great help.

Thank you very much,

David
    12-28-10 08:13 AM
    I use my Torch on Rogers in Canada and they use 3G. In fact, that's how I'm connected right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 08:26 AM
    The torch is 3g capable, but, and this is a huge but, you will have to see if it supports 3g bands on your carrier. I know here in the states the torch works on T-Mo even though its an AT&T device. Only downfall is you don't get 3g coverage on T-Mo. T-Mo uses different bands to transmit the 3g signal.
    DavioLamb likes this.
    12-28-10 08:31 AM
    Thank you both for the speedy replies!

Looking around the web it says that 3 are going to be stocking the torch (or already have). I would guess this means I'm in the clear!

Looking forward to getting back into the blackberry lifestyle - and this time I'm going to make the most of crackberry!

Cheers again,

David
    12-28-10 08:48 AM
    The Torch uses bands 1,2.5,6
    As long as 3 uses those same bands there will be no problems.

12-28-10 08:53 AM
    Any uk sourced torch will work on any of the uk networks, it is a 3G and 2g (gsm) phone. (unlocked of course)

Three have always been a 3G only network but as the network was growing they had a deal with orange (o2) before that to roam onto their 2g network while out of three's own coverage. By using your old bb you were not using threes network, you were using oranges but paying your bill to three.

Steve

DavioLamb likes this.
    12-28-10 09:06 AM
    The Torch is 3G I use it on ATT in the US and sell it for them and I am mainly in 3g
    12-28-10 10:11 AM
    i had exactly the same problem with 3....had been with them for years then one day no reception...took me 4 weeks to cancel my contract and get re-imbursed!!no way would i ever go with 3 again!..on the flip side i got a new blackberry torch and a better contract with o2....my advice never touch 3 again and go with o2,never had a problem since i joined with connections(i live in the uk)....also if you cant pick up a signal with '3' now you wont on the torch either unless you are in a 3g area all the time...
    Last edited by ilovemytorch; 12-28-10 at 12:12 PM.
    12-28-10 11:51 AM
    Leaving aside the question of whether you should switch networks, the short answer is yes, the Torch will work on 3's network.
    12-28-10 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD