Okay, first off, how was everyone's Christmas?

Next off, next week I'm eligible for an upgrade. I currently have the HTC Hero for Cellular South, rooted and running AOSP custom ROM. I'm going to keep this and use it as a backup, if anything happens. I'm just stuck between two phones and cannot decide really what I want, and am coming here for advice from yall!

Phone choices: Samsung Galaxy S Showcase and Blackberry Bold 9650

What I mostly do on the phone:
    Internet (Facebook, FOX sports, and Google Searches)
    Texting (All the time)
    PING chat (Sometimes)
    Calender (Pointless to put, I know, but I use it alot)
    Wifi (Only when cell service isn't that great)
    YouTube videos (Again, only sometimes)
    Music (When I don't have my Zune HD with me)

I like touch screens alot, but right now I'm kinda missing having an actual keyboard.

So thanks much in advance for your advice!
    12-27-10 11:11 PM
    Just for you, ill do some research on the Showcase..

Done.

Looks like another galaxy S. Nothing different than the others.
    From the looks of what you show, it looks more like the Showcase other than the texting.(Galaxy has Swype though and I used it[its pretty awesome.])

You'll be spending a lot more time on this next phone and according to what I've seen battery will die super fast. Just know that.

I have the 9650 and love it. :P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 11:31 PM
    Although i myself am a blackberry fanboy, If i were you i would get the Galaxy S.
    Although texting on the BlackBerry may be better, nearly everything else is better on the Galaxy S.

Unless you are going to use email or would use bbm, get the galaxy s.
    If possible, test them both out and see if you can use the touch screen keyboard on the Galaxy, go for it.
    12-27-10 11:34 PM
    If decide to go with the BB keep in mind that you will need a BB data plan that will not work with your HTC Hero. So, the Hero as a backup will need a backup data plan as well.
    12-27-10 11:36 PM
    Oh yeah. And just to say. I myself am a BB fanboy as well. I am basing my suggestion off of what you said.

12-27-10 11:38 PM
    Well my heart is with the BB 9650. The apps on the blackberry are so much better (dependable) then the apps on other phones. Used a Droid for a bit and hated it. Had a BB before that and the Droid sucked compared with it. The things that you do are really good on the BB. Facebook app is good. I am a Facebook freak. Notifications are immediate. Texting is awesome and the BBM is cool too. All the other is good too. Good luck with your picking....hehe
    12-27-10 11:42 PM
    Meant to say get the blackberry for email and bbm, woops!
    @middbrew. Cellular South's plan isn't Blackberry only and Smartphone only. It's all smartphones same plan.

I've been looking hard at the Blackberry (Mainly because I did try the Galaxy, and honestly, I wasn't that big of a fan of Touchwiz 3.0 and the Android stock keyboard isn't my favorite [though Swype is nice], I have the Gingerbread keyboard on my phone now).

The Bold is also scheduled to get the 6.0 update soon (if it's not out already) and no word on Samsung Froyo update. lol
    Oh and as far as apps go, the only ones I have on my phone currently are Facebook, Go!Chat Facebook client, PingChat!, ROM Manager, and ASTRO file manager. I don't download many apps (except the occasional game), but other than that, that's my main setup
    12-27-10 11:49 PM
    @middbrew. Cellular South's plan isn't Blackberry only and Smartphone only. It's all smartphones same plan.
    Well that's cool. Then definitely give the 9650 a test drive. OS 6 is out and will help with your youtube, Texting, Calender, Wifi, Music needs. The only thing the Galaxy S will do that much better might be internet browsing.

And as stated the battery life on the 9650 will be WAY better than the Galaxy S.
    12-28-10 12:18 AM
    If you've already had a rooted android phone you may find it difficult to go back to using internet on a blackberry. Blackberry will be better for email and bbm is better than google chat but facebook and youtube are much better on an android phone. The battery will also last longer on the bold, but you can get free music on the galaxy using apps like tunee music or gtunes. Based on what you want to do in the list I think you'd like the galaxy better.

12-28-10 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD