Whats a good free app for finding businesses...like dept. stores or restuarants or ups stores etc...I tried the map one thats on the phone but it brings up the world map...Just wanting something that I can type in the name of the store and viola...Thanks
    12-27-10 05:25 PM
    Poynt! Search for it in Blackberry App World.
    DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 05:37 PM
    Using your bb browser...

Download google maps for blackberry for free here:

Google Maps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 05:50 PM
    +1 for google maps. Both awesome and free.
    DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 05:58 PM
    Poynt has been very good to me.
    DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 06:05 PM
    Google Maps is great for finding places, plus it now has Voice Search. You just push the Green button and speak. It's very accurate.
    DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 06:53 PM
    Poynt is one of my favorite apps. It's a very good app.

DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 07:03 PM
    Poynt and Google Maps are both good at finding businesses, restaurants, etc. but Poynt also does reverse phone number listings.
    DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 07:32 PM
    I've got to agree, poynt and google maps are both highly useful and accurate.

12-27-10 07:38 PM
    Google Mobile App includes google maps, gmail, google search, news, reader and google voice search all with one launch button. Poynt and Pandora radio are great apps as well.

DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 07:59 PM
    Well I downloaded this "poynt"...it keeps asking me something about my gps having to be turned on...I turned off my gps navigator cuz I'm not paying for it...so do I need to turn it on and if I do will I be charged? I'll try to find google maps...
    12-27-10 08:49 PM
    Yes, you need to turn your GPS to on. You won't be charged for turning your BlackBerry GPS on.

Google Maps

DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 08:51 PM
    Yes, you need to turn your GPS to on. You won't be charged for turning your BlackBerry GPS on.

Google Maps

Ok so I can turn it on and I won't be charged...will it drain my phone at all?
    12-27-10 09:13 PM
    Poynts OK but load them both on. I found Poynt to be getting their info from an older database. When I searched for restaurants in my neighborhood some have been out of business for many, many years.

Google Maps is great with a more up to date database, I think.
    Once you learn how to find info in Google Maps . . . it's great.

I've learned to pull up a restaurants phone in Google Maps and call them to see if they are serving or even still in business before I start blindly following a route to their location.

Also, be aware when you are driving around having Google Maps guide you to a location . . . between having the screen on and it using the GPS . . . it eats your battery up pretty quickly. Best to get one of those $5 cigarette lighter power cords off Ebay to plug into your Blackberry, especially when you are traveling in strange cities.

All of these GPS routing devices Tomtom, Garmin, Google Maps etc. can many times unknowingly route you through the worst possible neighborhood's in a town cause that might be the shortest route and sometimes that can turn out to be downright dangerous . . . Just saying!
    12-27-10 09:18 PM
    Ok so I can turn it on and I won't be charged...will it drain my phone at all?
    1. Correct.
    2. It won't drain your battery.

12-27-10 09:21 PM
    O I totally understand what you're saying about the TomTom leading you astray...I went to get my son from an Army base in Indianapolis and it led me to a field...it said I'd arrived at my destination and I was like..um ya...Thankfully a Army truck came by and I followed them.

The one thing I'm concerned about it turning on my GPS...I'm not sure how to do it and I somehow must have downloaded the newest navigator and it was saying something about a fee monthly weekly or daily...so I got out of there...Do I really need to turn my GPS on and how do I do that?
    12-27-10 09:25 PM
    Options
    Advanced Options
    GPS
    Location ON

You didn't subscribe to VZ Navigator. It's just showing you the options. Just don't clink on install.

Yes, you need to turn GPS on to use Poynt and Google Maps.

DoeZ likes this.
    12-27-10 09:33 PM
    I totally know what you mean about the TomToms...I went to get my son from his Army base in Indianopolis...followed them completely and it dropped me off in a field and told me I've reached my destination...Thankfully a Army truck came by and I followed them.

I think I turned my GPS on but not sure. I went into the Navigator and it said something about downloading the newest version...I never use this but it said download complete before I got out of it...how do I know I'm not gonna be charged for this now...

I've got the poynt now and google maps as well...hopefully this will help me more now...
    12-27-10 09:35 PM
    If you downloaded VZ Navigator by mistake you need to call VZW and un-subscribe.

12-27-10 09:37 PM
    If you downloaded VZ Navigator by mistake you need to call VZW and un-subscribe.

Thanks I'll call them in the morning...I'm gonna hide this one cuz I don't use it and don't want to...Thanks for all the help...sorry for the double postings...computers tired...or me...lol
    12-27-10 09:40 PM
    ===== QUOTE chrisy520 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Thanks I'll call them in the morning...I'm gonna hide this one cuz I don't use it and don't want to...Thanks for all the help...sorry for the double postings...computers tired...or me...lol
    To turn on your GPS go to options-->advanced options-->GPS-->gps services and change "E911" to "Location On"

This will enable google maps and poynt to work. I use both but poynt mostly. I like the option in poynt to save info to address book. Very handy for places you visit for reservations or placing orders for pick up.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    12-27-10 10:43 PM
    Whats a good free app for finding businesses...like dept. stores or restuarants or ups stores etc...I tried the map one thats on the phone but it brings up the world map...Just wanting something that I can type in the name of the store and viola...Thanks
    Hi there!

if you are living in the US, then you should get Poynt. it is a free service the last time I checked.

I bet this is one of the most used app and even most famous in US. sadly, can't be use outside US.

Have a great day!
    12-28-10 08:12 AM
    I would suggest that you also delet VZNavigator from your device. VZW will push another icon to your phone when it notices that you don't have the app; however, that is just the download icon and won't cost you anything or take up a bunch of space. You can then hide that icon and all is well.
    12-28-10 10:05 AM
    Google Maps
    12-28-10 10:07 AM
    1. Correct.
    2. It won't drain your battery.

Just a little clarification:

Leaving your GPS enabled won't drain your battery as long as you're not running an app that's using the GPS. Don't leave Poynt or Google open with your GPS enabled. Once you're done using the program, make sure to exit the program fully or you will experience a substantial battery drain.
    12-28-10 10:44 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD