Hey guys,
    I just recently decided to grab myself a blackberry and I just have a few questions. I have a Bold 9650 that is unlocked with AT&T, and it doesn't have a data plan.

1. Am I able to download apps to my bold from Blackberry app world? If not, is there any possible ways of getting apps for an unlocked bold?

2. i can't seem to set up a voice mail (has a busy tone whenever i call) and I don't believe Visual Voice mail is available for AT&T? i need the voice mail feature.

3. MMS doesn't also seem available for me, even though I have the unlimited texting plan. Previously at Tmobile, i had the options of picture messaging which was included in my unlimited texting. Is the reason for lack of MMS due to the absence of a data plan?

As of right now, those are all I have to ask. I'm very new to smartphones so please be gentle with your answers! Additional information regarding the capabilities of an unlocked blackberry bold would also be helpful!
    12-26-10 08:55 PM
    ATT requires a data plan for smartphones these days. I believe once your phone is registered with a data pllan and appropriate service books are sent all will be resolved. Best of luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 06:08 AM
    Without data, you won't be able to access the app world. You could try downloading them from the web and adding them through Desktop Manager, not sure if it being unlocked would be a problem.
    12-27-10 09:57 AM
    not to mention even if you did get the apps on the phone, they would still need data to access and update...so you would be better off getting their lowest data plan and going from there. I believe they have a 2GB option that more than suffices for most people. Good luck and keep us posted.
    12-27-10 10:44 AM
    be sure to watch your usage on a tiered plan. If you are a heavy user and don't have enough you will be charged extra and it can add up.
    12-27-10 11:13 PM
    MMS is integrated in with SMS. So you do have it.
    12-27-10 11:29 PM
    A data plan would make my life much easier, but it's not in the cards for me just yet (broke college student). I went with an unlocked bb from verizon as a way to get around at&t's data plan.

I was able to download the facebook app, but it didn't allow me to use it, wonder why. Anyone know what's up with the voicemail problem though?

MMS is integrated in with SMS. So you do have it.
    Actually, there isn't any option for MMS anywhere on my phone. if i wanted to send/share a picture, the only option that shows up is through email.
    12-28-10 02:41 AM
    A data plan would make my life much easier, but it's not in the cards for me just yet (broke college student). I went with an unlocked bb from verizon as a way to get around at&t's data plan.

I was able to download the facebook app, but it didn't allow me to use it, wonder why. Anyone know what's up with the voicemail problem though?

Actually, there isn't any option for MMS anywhere on my phone. if i wanted to send/share a picture, the only option that shows up is through email.
    Because to use facebook you need to access the Internet and to access the Internet you need a data plan. That is what a data plan is all about.

As far as your voicemail is concerned, that is between you and your carrier. If your account is setup with voicemail you should have it; however, is not of course you don't. If you are supposed to have it, then you need to check with your carrier's CS folks. As far as I know the phone you are using has no bearing on the voicemail working or not; however, I could be wrong on that one since they could tie the voicemail to phones that they normally would allow on their network. By the way, do you have a SIM card from your carrier in your phone? I think that without that you won't get things to work properly.
    Last edited by BoDeb; 12-28-10 at 02:30 PM.
    12-28-10 02:26 PM
    One option would be to use the apps via wifi - that would limit you to having access only when you are in a wifi area. The other would be to check out smaller companies - big red is def more expensive of the lot. Have you looked at Virgin Mobile? They have an unlimited no-contract data plan of $25 a month that includes 300 voice mins and uses the sprint network to roam when out of coverage. Might not be a bad option for you.
    12-28-10 02:47 PM
    I do realize that I cannot use the apps without a data plan, but the multiple times I have tried accessing the apps, I have been on wifi. The error I get says I'm not connected wirelessly or something along that line. And yes, I have a sim card from AT&T from my phone. As for my voicemail issue, I will contact AT&T CS asap!

I have considered Page Plus but a family plan at AT&T seemed much more convienient since page plus lacks that option. I will definitely reconsider after my contract is up!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 05:30 PM
    AT&T will automatically add a data plan to a BlackBerry activated on their network after September 2009.
    12-28-10 06:35 PM
    Data plans are required for the Apps. They aren't that much. And really a blackberry is useless without one.
    12-28-10 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD