Hi Everyone!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

I am still looking for a new 9780 with AT&T 3G bands. I don't want to get a Telus or Other Career branded phone. I need a SIM Free Factory Unlocked with No Career Spalsh Screen, No Career Software, No Career Screen at the Startup of Web Browser etc. etc. - REAL SIM FREE Factory Unlocked.

It turns out almost all eBay sellers advertise SIM Free or No Logo or Factory Unlocked, but NONE of them are sellling a really factory unlocked phone. Their phones are all some career branded, mostly Telus or Bell or Rogers (Canada). They NEVER putup picture of the phone/box they are selling. They use stock picture released by RIM. When you start asking them a bunch of questions (such as, the model number on the box, or the picture of the white sticket with all the specs etc.), only then you will find out the truth. These sellers are lieing (many un-intentionally - they just don't know) in their eBay ads. So frustrating!!!!

Anyway, do you know any seller who have the real one? I read some of you have the real one. Can you post or PM me the e-mail the contact of your store?

Thanks everyone,
    Tintin
    Last edited by tintin123; 12-25-10 at 11:38 PM.
    12-25-10 11:13 PM
    Just a thought, maybe contact RIM/BB directly?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 11:22 PM
    Just a thought, maybe contact RIM/BB directly?

Thanks. Unfortunately RIM does not sell new phones directly to the customers. This is a sharp contrast between RIM and Nokia or Apple. RIM does give away free new unbranded phones to guests of Academy Award (Oscar) and some other high profile show-business events, but not to someone like us.

So, I have to find it somewhere in eBay or Online Store.

Tintin
    Last edited by tintin123; 12-25-10 at 11:36 PM.
    12-25-10 11:33 PM
    I know Virgin Mobile in Canada sells unmarked, unlocked phones.
    They just got the new Bold so that would be your best bet.
    12-26-10 12:24 AM
    I know Virgin Mobile in Canada sells unmarked, unlocked phones.
    They just got the new Bold so that would be your best bet.
    Really? I didn't know that. Are you absolutely sure that those phones are generic RIM phone? By any chance if you happen to visit a Virgin Mobile store in Canada, will be able to double check it and let us know?

Virgin closed all their stores in the US. In the US, Virgin Mobile phones are available through convinience stores and online. Those are basic phones. They don't sell anything high end in the US.

Please let us know. Thanks again.

PS: Just looked at Virgin Mobile Canada website. It looks like the phone has no logo, but it has a Virgin Theme, that is, Virgin branded software. Not sure if the phone is unlocked. But C$499.99 isn't bad comparing eBay prices.

Blackberry Smartphone : Blackberry Bold 9780 - Virgin Mobile Canada

Tintin
    Last edited by tintin123; 12-26-10 at 02:23 AM.
    12-26-10 01:45 AM
    Really? I didn't know that. Are you absolutely sure that those phones are generic RIM phone? By any chance if you happen to visit a Virgin Mobile store in Canada, will be able to double check it and let us know?

Virgin closed all their stores in the US. In the US, Virgin Mobile phones are available through convinience stores and online. Those are basic phones. They don't sell anything high end in the US.

Please let us know. Thanks again.

PS: Just looked at Virgin Mobile Canada website. It looks like the phone has no logo, but it has a Virgin Theme, that is, Virgin branded software. Not sure if the phone is unlocked. But C$499.99 isn't bad comparing eBay prices.

Blackberry Smartphone : Blackberry Bold 9780 - Virgin Mobile Canada

Tintin
    Yeah, I'd be quite surprised if it was unllocked. No Canadian carrier (to my knowledge) sells unlocked cell phones. The best you can hope for is no logo on the bezel for a 9780. You can unlocked it pretty cheap though and probably for free if you know what you are doing (I don't). Plus there is a thread on Crackberry Forums where they give away free unlocking codes. You just leave a comment once a day and they may eventually pick you.
    12-26-10 07:59 AM
    I bought a sim free bb bold 9780 from amazon uk, not sure if amazon us do the same.

Just checked it seems they do

Amazon.com: BlackBerry 9780 Bold Unlocked Smartphone with 5 MP Camera, Bluetooth, 3G, Wi-Fi, and MicroSd Slot --International Version with no Warranty (charcoal): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Last edited by cru03; 12-26-10 at 08:19 AM.
    12-26-10 08:17 AM
    Beautiful. No warranty. Where do I sign up for this.......
    12-26-10 08:35 AM
    I got exactly what you're looking for at the end of November on eBay:

Blackberry 9780 - UNLOCKED / UNBRANDED - eBay (item 160508824837 end time Nov-21-10 09:59:51 PST)

It's a RIM device (NOT pre-production), no branding, unlocked -- the box and all materials even just say "BlackBerry" on everything, no carrier mentioned anywhere at all... so they're out there.
    12-26-10 08:39 AM
    Dude chill,
    Buy carphone ware house bold, bright star bold
    They sell BB's which boots with blackberry scrren not carrier.
    I just got 9780 which has no brianding at all. Pure BB screens.

Fast 100 sells it too.
    I paid full retail price.

12-26-10 09:50 AM
    I wouldn't touch a Torch even if it was given for free with that stupid keyboard
    12-26-10 10:12 AM
    ATGsm sells unbranded and unlocked phones. I got my 9780 a week ago from them and it's perfect. Plus they're in New York - shipping may be easier from there than Canada.

12-26-10 11:46 AM
    Thanks everyone.

atarantola86: This one looks good. Thanks very much for the info. AT GSM do explicitly list the HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 band.

Do you use your phone with AT&T SIM? Do you see any career splash screen when you switch on the phone? Any carrer screen at the launch of the web browser? Do you have BB Map enabled (AT&T branded phones disable BB Maps)? What is the default Theme in your phone? Please let us know. Thanks a lot for the information.

Since they have a store in NYC, I will e-mail them and I will stop by their store when I go NYC next time. They are asking for pretty steep price, but if they have it then it is worth getting from them. I went to several stores in Chicago area (welectronics etc). None of them have the real SIM free model. They are selling the Canadean phones unlocked.

Please let us know your experience with AT GSM phone.

Fr3lncr: I agree. It has to come from RIM via a reseller.

cru03: SIM Free versions are available in the UK, but those phones do not have the US/AT&T 3G band of 850/1900/2100. It is the other 3G band model. Many of eBay sellers are selling the UK phones, which will not work in AT&T's 3G network. Thanks for the Amazon US link, but it is also a UK model. Take a look at the 1st review in the bottom of the following link. The reviewer is very disappointed about it. The selllers are VERY cleaver. They don't put-up info from the phone they are selling. They use the generic pics and specs from RIM's website. So, it is hard to figure out if the phone will work in US/AT&T 3G network. Most Canadean phones will work, but the ones from UK.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BlackBerry 9780 Bold Unlocked Smartphone with 5 MP Camera, Bluetooth, 3G, Wi-Fi, and MicroSd Slot --International Version with no Warranty (charcoal)

mpscan: Congratulations. Unfortunately s/he doesn't have anymore 9780 listed in eBay. I will e-mail him/her. Thanks for the info.

infinus: Thanks, but all these sellers have the UK 3G band model. I contacted some UK sellers. They will not have the US A&T 3G band phone. I need 3G 850/1900/2100.

Thanks,
    Tintin
    12-26-10 02:22 PM
    cru03: SIM Free versions are available in the UK, but those phones do not have the US/AT&T 3G band of 850/1900/2100. It is the other 3G band model. Many of eBay sellers are selling the UK phones, which will not work in AT&T's 3G network. Thanks for the Amazon US link, but it is also a UK model. Take a look at the 1st review in the bottom of the following link. The reviewer is very disappointed about it. The selllers are VERY cleaver. They don't put-up info from the phone they are selling. They use the generic pics and specs from RIM's website. So, it is hard to figure out if the phone will work in US/AT&T 3G network. Most Canadean phones will work, but the ones from UK.

infinus: Thanks, but all these sellers have the UK 3G band model. I contacted some UK sellers. They will not have the US A&T 3G band phone. I need 3G 850/1900/2100.

Thanks,
    Tintin
    All UK networks use 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6 which are EXACTLY the same bands used by AT&T

If a UK 9780 doesn't work with 3G on AT&T... then it is NOT a UK phone, simple as!
    12-26-10 02:29 PM
    ...and it's 'carrier'
    12-26-10 02:31 PM
    I bought the new bold from virgin. Wheb I first turned it on, there's was no rogers, telus or whatever startup. Just the bb logo and no marking on the bottom.

12-26-10 02:49 PM
    All UK networks use 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6 which are EXACTLY the same bands used by AT&T

If a UK 9780 doesn't work with 3G on AT&T... then it is NOT a UK phone, simple as!
    Hi Phill_UK, Thanks. I am not familier with the band names like 1,2,5,6 etc. But here is the complete story:

9780 is a tri-band 3G (not quad-band 3G). It has 2 models: one with 3G:850/1900/2100 and the other one with 3G: 900/1700/2100. The first one works in the US with AT&T (and in Canada with Rogers, Bell, Telus), but it is not sold by any UK stores. The 2nd one (900/1700/2100 3G) is widely available in UK stores. Most SIM Free eBay phones have 900/1700/2100 3G band. This phone will work in the US in T-Mobile's 3G network. But it will not have 3G in AT&T's network.

See here:
    BlackBerry Bold 9780 - Full phone specifications

Hope it helps.

Tintin
    Last edited by tintin123; 12-26-10 at 03:02 PM.
    12-26-10 02:56 PM
    I bought the new bold from virgin. Wheb I first turned it on, there's was no rogers, telus or whatever startup. Just the bb logo and no marking on the bottom.

Hi Azurestrike,

Thanks for the info. Here are a few questions for you:

1. Any carrier screen at the launch of the web browser?
    2. What is the default Theme in your phone?
    3. When you go the help screen, what Vendor ID would you see?
    4. Have you tried a SIM from any other carrier (that is, to check if the phone is unlocked)?
    5. And, what was off-the-shelve price?

Thanks. This is a great info. Please let us know.

Tintin
    12-26-10 03:00 PM
    Hi Phill_UK, Thanks. I am not familier with the band names like 1,2,5,6 etc. But here is the complete story...
    Nah, forget about frequencies. There are 2 different 9780 devices:-

One has 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6 which will work on 3G with just about any carrier in the world (including ALL UK carriers, and AT&T)

The other has 3G bands 1, 4 & 8 which will work on 3G with a only handful of carriers (including T-Mobile US, Wind Mobile CA etc.)

You need the 1st one
    12-26-10 03:11 PM
    Nah, forget about frequencies. There are 2 different 9780 devices:-

One has 3G bands 1, 2, 5 & 6 which will work on 3G with just about any carrier in the world (including ALL UK carriers, and AT&T)

The other has 3G bands 1, 4 & 8 which will work on 3G with a only handful of carriers (including T-Mobile US, Wind Mobile CA etc.)

You need the 1st one
    I never heard Quad Band 3G for BB 9780. All versions of 9780 have Quad band 2G (EDGE), but as far as I know, Tri-Band 3G. Do you have the specs from RIM's website?

Tintin
    12-26-10 03:22 PM
    I never heard Quad Band 3G for BB 9780. All versions of 9780 have Quad band 2G (EDGE), but as far as I know, Tri-Band 3G. Do you have the specs from RIM's website?

Tintin
    Just trust me tintin

Whoever you decide to buy from, ask them to press Options > Device > About Device Versions

Then ask them to read out the 3G bands from the 4th line down.
    If it says 1, 2, 5, 6... buy it!
    If it says 1, 4, 8... run away!

12-26-10 03:32 PM
    Yes I'm using the phone with an AT&T sim. No carrier splash screen when I turn the phone on only the BlackBerry logo as well an not carrier screen when I launch the web browser. The theme is the defualt BB 6.0 theme: that's the only one which came with the phone.
    I agree that it's a bit expensive but the phone is well worth buying and it's great that they're in NY.

Thanks everyone.

atarantola86: This one looks good. Thanks very much for the info. AT GSM do explicitly list the HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 band.

Do you use your phone with AT&T SIM? Do you see any career splash screen when you switch on the phone? Any carrer screen at the launch of the web browser? Do you have BB Map enabled (AT&T branded phones disable BB Maps)? What is the default Theme in your phone? Please let us know. Thanks a lot for the information.

Since they have a store in NYC, I will e-mail them and I will stop by their store when I go NYC next time. They are asking for pretty steep price, but if they have it then it is worth getting from them. I went to several stores in Chicago area (welectronics etc). None of them have the real SIM free model. They are selling the Canadean phones unlocked.

Please let us know your experience with AT GSM phone.

Fr3lncr: I agree. It has to come from RIM via a reseller.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BlackBerry 9780 Bold Unlocked Smartphone with 5 MP Camera, Bluetooth, 3G, Wi-Fi, and MicroSd Slot --International Version with no Warranty (charcoal)

mpscan: Congratulations. Unfortunately s/he doesn't have anymore 9780 listed in eBay. I will e-mail him/her. Thanks for the info.

Thanks,
    Tintin

12-26-10 05:04 PM
    Hi Azurestrike,

Thanks for the info. Here are a few questions for you:

1. Any carrier screen at the launch of the web browser?
    2. What is the default Theme in your phone?
    3. When you go the help screen, what Vendor ID would you see?
    4. Have you tried a SIM from any other carrier (that is, to check if the phone is unlocked)?
    5. And, what was off-the-shelve price?

Thanks. This is a great info. Please let us know.

Tintin
    1. There is no carrier logo.
    2. The theme is BB6, the default theme (which btw isnt too bad minus the tray)
    3. Not sure what you mean...but its all default bb.
    4. Actually I made a mistake, its not unlocked sorry.
    5. Its 499.99. And it is unbranded. I was suprised that it was, but it looks hella sexy when its unbranded.

Hope this helps.

Give me a few, I'll upload pics of my bb.
    One
    Two
    Three

Last edited by Azurestrike; 12-26-10 at 06:29 PM.
    12-26-10 06:09 PM
    Just trust me tintin

Whoever you decide to buy from, ask them to press Options > Device > About Device Versions

Then ask them to read out the 3G bands from the 4th line down.
    If it says 1, 2, 5, 6... buy it!
    If it says 1, 4, 8... run away!

Wow! Thanks Phill_UK. This is great. How all the reviews missed it? Not only GSM Arena, I have seen the 'tri-band 3G' story in almost all reviews. Wow! How little the reviewers know!!! Thanks very much.

Tintin
    12-26-10 10:07 PM
    Yes I'm using the phone with an AT&T sim. No carrier splash screen when I turn the phone on only the BlackBerry logo as well an not carrier screen when I launch the web browser. The theme is the defualt BB 6.0 theme: that's the only one which came with the phone.
    I agree that it's a bit expensive but the phone is well worth buying and it's great that they're in NY.
    Hi atarantola86, Thanks. One more question fort you. Do you have the Blackberry Maps installed? AT&T branded BBs have Maps disabled. It should be available in unbranded phones. Will you please report?

Also, when you press ALT + SHIFT + H in your phone, what Vendor ID you see? The phone was originally made for that Vendor. Will you please check it?

Thanks very much,
    Tintin
    12-26-10 10:16 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD