has anyone heard if RIM is going to introduce something to compete with Mobile-me for the i-phone? I have been waiting on the Bold, but do not use BBserver, so the idea of something that syncs everything OTA is soooooooooo tempting.
    07-30-08 10:15 PM
    has anyone heard if RIM is going to introduce something to compete with Mobile-me for the i-phone? I have been waiting on the Bold, but do not use BBserver, so the idea of something that syncs everything OTA is soooooooooo tempting.
    As a former iPhone user, I would tell you that mobile me just.....well,....sucked. It never worked right. Couldn't get calanders and contacts to sync...it was a mess.

To answer your question though...I see BIS as the answer to mobile me (well at least BIS is what Apple was trying to do with mobile me). It's free and pretty darn easy to use.
    07-30-08 10:19 PM
    BIS? Blackberry Interprise Server? I wasnt aware it was free.. I fiqured you has to pay per user.
    07-30-08 10:24 PM
    I thought you could sync OTA via BT through DM? Unfortunately only MS drivers will work. I have a BT adapter but don't want to use the MS drivers because the manufacture drivers are better. Or by OTA do you mean like from anywhere anytime? If so I think there are apps that you can use for that. I would assume it syncs to some sort of online storage account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-08 03:43 AM
    RIM does not answer to Apple. LMAO. Apples answer to RIM's BES was mobile me. And the comparison between the two is the same now as it was from day one. In no way, shape, or form does Apples Mobile me come close to holding a candle to RIM's BES.
    07-31-08 07:30 AM
    Interprise? Lol

07-31-08 08:19 AM
    BIS? Blackberry Interprise Server?
    huh?! BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Server

RIM does not answer to Apple. LMAO. Apples answer to RIM's BES was mobile me. And the comparison between the two is the same now as it was from day one. In no way, shape, or form does Apples Mobile me come close to holding a candle to RIM's BES.
    Totally agree, man... totally agree!

To clear things up : Lecture 2: BES and BIS: What's the Difference? | CrackBerry.com
    07-31-08 08:23 AM
    Hmmm. I thought the whole idea of mobileme is that its, essentially, BES 'for the rest of us' i.e. the consumer solution. Apple's answer to BES is Exchange integration, i.e. the business solution.

That is, mobileme provides the ability to sync calendar, contact and other information without the need for a server solution. BIS (RIM's consumer solution) does not do this.

So I guess the question is, to get back to thought in the original post, will RIM expand the capabilities of BIS to provide similar functionality?

Personally, I am not really sure I want that as I don't think I am comfortable having all my information out there in the ether.
    Last edited by RoninKSB; 07-31-08 at 09:09 AM.
    07-31-08 09:04 AM
    I really don't know, as I have only ever used a corporate issued device myself, but doesn't RIM offer a sort of single user BES for free?
    I assume you would have to leave your desktop on while you are away, but many of us do that anyway for other reasons.
    Last edited by shawn510; 07-31-08 at 09:17 AM. Reason: bad speelers untie!
    07-31-08 09:17 AM
    Hmmm. I thought the whole idea of mobileme is that its, essentially, BES 'for the rest of us'
    Funny thing is.....Apple abandoned the "Exchange for the rest of us" marketing theme not too long ago.

They couldn't get it to work as advertised, so simply quit calling it that.

IF mobileme worked as it was supposed to, it would definetley be a good alternative. As I (and apparently many, many others) couldn't get it to sync with much of anything....I wouldn't call it a alternative to anything.

Yes, I am a bit jaded by mobileme, simply because I dropped my blackberry and got the iphone because of this so called great program.

Didn't take long to learn my lesson and switch back.
    07-31-08 11:21 AM
    Laugh My Arse Off. What!! Rim answers to Apple? Okay maybe in the multimedia part, but that's about all!!!

07-31-08 02:11 PM
    BIS? Blackberry Interprise Server? I wasnt aware it was free.. I fiqured you has to pay per user.
    mobile me isnt free, buddy.
    07-31-08 02:27 PM
    guys i think MobileMe is Apple's counter to BIS - it attacked pushed e-mail, and added a lot. It is not against BES. Unfrotunately it is not working as promised but am telling you this will not be too far away from now -- birth pains I suppose.

do not flame me here, but RIM should not be very comfortable, we are seeing VAS over a viable phone. let us not be bitter with apple - as they came up with a great idea from the eyes of the consumer and small businesses who does not have Lotus and Exchange, and even Groupwise

well unless the BB and this feature is only for the blue chips and spill some technology to the consumers. And I thought they are targetting a broader market?

bottom line - innovation is working for the consumer, it is just up to you how much of a technology you would be left behind lalter on.

my two cents - again - are we seeing RIM innovating on this boat?
    Last edited by sphynx; 07-31-08 at 03:12 PM.
    07-31-08 03:07 PM
    BlackBerry Unite will be RIMs version of MobileMe. Right now its in its infancy but it is a free product that does many of the same things but allows 5 people to share calendar contacts files etc. BlackBerry

07-31-08 03:10 PM
    BlackBerry Unite will be RIMs version of MobileMe. Right now its in its infancy but it is a free product that does many of the same things but allows 5 people to share calendar contacts files etc. BlackBerry

yeah one thing preventing it to compete head on is its availability is limited. MobleMe is where the iPhone is even across the Globe...

RIM, do not leave us in limbo... please...
    07-31-08 03:16 PM
    jazz, i think we are on the same boat here. BIS is great, no questions asked. but is it addressing the same requirements when it was some years ago? i am sure NO...
    07-31-08 04:51 PM
    MobileMe was never Apple's answer to BES. ActiveSync on the iPhone was that answer and it works fine.

MobileMe was kind of a BIS/Desktop Redirector/whatever that other "family" BES program isht release that RIM just had... I forget the name. lol
    That would be the train wreck otherwise known as Unite!
    ...and I WISH I could forget it's name
    07-31-08 09:07 PM
    yeah, Unite has done nothing but make me angry with the things it was supposed to have 'fixed'.
    07-31-08 09:48 PM
    I really don't know, as I have only ever used a corporate issued device myself, but doesn't RIM offer a sort of single user BES for free?
    I assume you would have to leave your desktop on while you are away, but many of us do that anyway for other reasons.
    As someone said BB Unite! or you could try this i believe---> BlackBerry - BlackBerry Professional Software Express
    07-31-08 10:08 PM
    Thanks for all of your suggestions, maybe i should have mentioned that i run iMail in lieu of Exchange, that is why i am looking for another solution for OTA sync of all my devices.
    07-31-08 10:45 PM
    heh im just waiting till rim officially suports the penguins at least ubuntu fedora and gentoo and redhat
    then they really have somthing over crapple
    08-03-08 03:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD