I currently do not own a blackberry, or a smartphone for that matter.

The style has been released in my location, the torch is another 3 months away. The style looks and feels like a nice phone, but i havent had a chance to use their web browser yet. The track pad is ok, but i kinda miss a touch screen.

I would be using the phone for some web browsing, very little video viewing, scores updates like mlb, banking, some music, texting, and little calling.

The style currently comes with an unlimited data plan. But is only on the cdma network which i hear is slower than 3g?

Is it worth waiting for the torch or will the style keep me happy. Plus we d be getting two phones, one for the missus too.
    12-21-10 09:45 PM
    I can't decide either. Before my BB conversion I was a lover of flip phones. I love that it's a little smaller in my girl sized pockets, but I use a Storm and I'm used to a big screen.

I've nicknamed it the Torch-ure cuz I don't have any money to buy one. *SIGH!*
    12-22-10 12:14 AM
    I have the Style like it but I've been at At&t the last couple days and played with the White torch its pretty sweet but like I said I like the Style as well great BlackBerry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 12:56 AM
    My biggest concern is the web browser... and how responsive the operating system is.

i hear the torch has a great browser, but again i dont need a perfect browser, just a competent one.

The flip part seems pretty nice.
    12-22-10 12:58 AM
    CDMA Rev. A is 3G. My Style is waiting at home right now, my wife got them for my daughter and me for Christmas. Of course, I'll have to update almost as soon as I get it, and start playing with the new OS. By the way, the keyboard on the Style is actually pretty roomy compared to that of the Torch. I'm interested in Torch, myself, but have other upgrades coming.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-22-10 at 01:13 AM.
    12-22-10 01:08 AM
    What exactly is rev A? I believe here we have that evdo cdma thing, is that close to it?
    12-22-10 01:11 AM
    There is EVDO Rev. 0 found on the older BlackBerry devices, and the uprated Rev. A came into play last year. My Tour on Sprint side-by-side with my friend's 9700 was just as fast loading web pages. Download speeds on Rev. A is much faster than Rev. 0 was.

The EV-DO feature of CDMA2000 networks provides access to mobile devices with forward link air interface speeds of up to 2.4 Mbit/s with Rev. 0 and up to 3.1 Mbit/s with Rev. A. The reverse link rate for Rev. 0 can operate up to 153 kbit/s, while Rev. A can operate at up to 1.8 Mbit/s.

Last edited by BergerKing; 12-22-10 at 01:22 AM.
    12-22-10 01:17 AM
    Interesting. I have attached a link of our coverage, but its says the evdo is 3g? Is it misinformation.

http://www.mts.ca/file_source/mts.ca...da_Nov2010.pdf
    12-22-10 01:22 AM
    Interesting. I have attached a link of our coverage, but its says the evdo is 3g? Is it misinformation.

http://www.mts.ca/file_source/mts.ca...da_Nov2010.pdf
    EVDO is a 3G network. The speeds I posted above are from an article I culled. Even the 8330/8530 Curve was 3G, just slower to use on the same network.

Your screen indicator will show 1XEV in 3G coverage, 1X in 2G.

12-22-10 01:27 AM
    So what can i expect from the browser? Is it worthy?
    12-22-10 01:32 AM
    So what can i expect from the browser? Is it worthy?
    I'll know that answer this weekend. I know they're still improving it, but haven't worked with it yet. I'll not be foolish and tell you what part I don't know, that wouldn't be very cool. I do know a number of folks that have it really like the device.

12-22-10 02:10 AM
    The real question is how are Sprint's and AT&T's network in your area?
    12-22-10 05:20 AM
    My Style is very quick on 3G here in Indy... Blows my wife's Intercept away browsing.. Her screen is obviuosly larger, but my phone runs circles around hers and is much more reliable....

12-22-10 06:24 AM
    I have both. Both are nice phones. I had to switch from t mobile to back to Sprint. I do miss the bigger screen but I think the Style is a nicer quality phone. Keyboards are a wash but having the on screen available is a definite plus. The browser speed on the Torch even on 2g was about the same on my Style which is disappointing.

Personally I got the Style for reliable messaging and will use my iPad for browsing. The browsing isn't terrible on the Style but thesmaller screen and speed (may be network) is noticeable. All in all I think the Style is the most under rated BB yet. It really is a great phone. If the screen was slightly bigger maybe 3.1 and touch screen it would be the best bar none. Just my. 02
    12-22-10 08:07 AM
    I agree, the Style is the most underrated BB on the market.The early bad pics,the bad reputations of the Pearl Flips, and the underexposure of only being on Sprint really conspire against this phone.Really the best CDMA BB since the Curve 8330.

12-22-10 08:33 AM
    I agree, the Style is the most underrated BB on the market.The early bad pics,the bad reputations of the Pearl Flips, and the underexposure of only being on Sprint really conspire against this phone.Really the best CDMA BB since the Curve 8330.

Exactly. You really do have to see it in person to appreciate it. Videos and pics just don't capture the quality of the phone. The looks and feel sold me and I wasn't even truly looking to get one
    12-22-10 08:53 AM

I agree with the both of you; the Style is REALLY underrated and I think it's mostly due to (like you've mentioned) the predecessors. I currently have the Style and I absolutely love it. I've been a faithful BlackBerry user for about two years and I'm coming from the Curve 8330 with Boost Mobile to the Style 9670 for Sprint and the UI alone is pretty impressive; it's good enough to keep me captivated and never really 'bored with the phone but at the same time, a part of me just wants to experience it all on a bigger TOUCH screen. If the Torch were available to Sprint I'd switch from the Style to it just b/c of the touch screen. I highly recommend the Style to anyone based on it's performance and I think it holds it's own ground in the 'smartphone battle'.

Do you know if the Torch will be available to Sprint anytime soon (just curious)?

12-23-10 02:37 AM
    I agree with the both of you; the Style is REALLY underrated and I think it's mostly due to (like you've mentioned) the predecessors. I currently have the Style and I absolutely love it. I've been a faithful BlackBerry user for about two years and I'm coming from the Curve 8330 with Boost Mobile to the Style 9670 for Sprint and the UI alone is pretty impressive; it's good enough to keep me captivated and never really 'bored with the phone but at the same time, a part of me just wants to experience it all on a bigger TOUCH screen. If the Torch were available to Sprint I'd switch from the Style to it just b/c of the touch screen. I highly recommend the Style to anyone based on it's performance and I think it holds it's own ground in the 'smartphone battle'.

Do you know if the Torch will be available to Sprint anytime soon (just curious)
    I recommend the Style also. Its a great phone. Adding a touch screen to it would be nothing but positives in my opinion. Having both I think although smaller the screen is better on the Style. Pics also look better maybe just do to the screen. I have heard Verizon may get the Torch or a variant (possible horizontal slider). I would hope Sprint would soon after
    12-23-10 04:37 AM
    I do miss the bigger screen at times though
    12-23-10 04:41 AM
    Just purchased for my wife and I. Internet seems pretty slick on it, especially on wifi. I like the flip aspect of it too..

Plan to use it more the next few days and put it through the motions.
    12-27-10 06:11 AM
    I say style is much better! I hate my Torch
    12-27-10 07:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD