I try and use my camera and I get the message,

Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again.

Ive tried rolling back my phone to a previous Back-Up.
    Ive tried deleting all current applications.
    Could it be the new Software update that came out about 3 weeks ago?
    I have the insurance plan, should I just go and get it replaced?

Regards,

Dpoint
    Last edited by Dpoint; 12-21-10 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Restore point --> Back-Up
    12-21-10 08:53 AM
    restore point?? that's the problem then--the Storm isn't supposed to use Windows...

insurance is not used for s/w issues--it's for loss or physical damage

regards

oh: if you can't figure it out, CALL YOUR CARRIER FOR TECH SUPPORT, or go into one of their stores for assistance
    12-21-10 08:56 AM
    I would pull the battery out and put it back in and try the camera again.
    um... yeah, Ive done that like 12 times.
    12-21-10 09:31 AM
    Actually, this exact same thing happened to me a while back- not on my S2 but on my Bold. Same error message, but the only 'applications' I had open were the 5 that are always open. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember what fixed it. I do remember battery pulls did not solve it, but as you stated, you already know this. I'll have think about it and see if I can jog my memory- I wish I could remember!
    12-21-10 09:59 AM
    Actually, this exact same thing happened to me a while back- not on my S2 but on my Bold. Same error message, but the only 'applications' I had open were the 5 that are always open. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember what fixed it. I do remember battery pulls did not solve it, but as you stated, you already know this. I'll have think about it and see if I can jog my memory- I wish I could remember!
    Bahh!! yeah see if you can remember what you did. I would greatly appreciate it.

Just another suggestion. Try opening the video camera. It may release the still camera from the glitch.

From the search I just performed with your thread title the use of Slacker radio seems to trigger this problem. Does that apply here?
    I found out it wasn't working by opening the video camera because I use the flash as a flashlight. After I realized the video camera wasn't working I tried opening the normal camera and it failed to open.
    I currently do not use Slacker Radio anymore. I used to a while ago but i currently no longer use it.

Any other suggestions?
    12-21-10 10:41 AM
    Take the memory card out and see if it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 11:31 AM
    Try loading a different OS. In your other thread you mentioned the new update that just came out, which I take to mean 1015.

1015 is a pile of horse dung, install 5.0.0.517 for the best results.

restore point?? that's the problem then--the Storm isn't supposed to use Windows...

oh: if you can't figure it out, CALL YOUR CARRIER FOR TECH SUPPORT, or go into one of their stores for assistance
    wow! how incredibly helpful
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-21-10 at 11:35 AM.
    12-21-10 11:33 AM
    Take the memory card out and see if it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    nope. thats a no-go.
    12-21-10 12:02 PM
    Open your pictures folder. From there select menu and then choose camera. Does it open this way?
    12-21-10 03:47 PM
    I had the same thing occur on my Storm 1. I tried everything and found no fix. I just upgraded early to the Storm 2.

I think it's the camera itself (hardware),
    12-21-10 05:42 PM
    It happened to me a while back once, when the battery was low. I tried a battery pull but it didn't work. Once I charged it up at home it was fine, and, knock on wood, it has been fine ever since.
    12-24-10 12:17 AM
    I'm having the same issue right now. It started about 3 weeks ago. Here's what I've tried:
    *reload the OS.
    *downgrade the OS.
    *security wipe (removing all applications).
    *remove the media card.
    *pressing firmly on the camera (some people said since it's a hardware issue this might fix it, basically reseating the camera.)

It's a hardware problem, I'm sure and VZW said they can't help me since it's out of warranty. So I'm out of options at this point. If anyone comes up with anything please let me know.
    01-11-11 03:43 PM
    so at this point I'd like to stick with a BlackBerry smartphone and get the Monaco when it comes out in July/August. However, as a person that used to take several pictures a day with my BlackBerry, I'm going to have a hard time keeping this device until then since I can't take any video or pictures. And because I can't open either of those apps I've lost my flashlight too! Any body got any ideas on how to make it work? Got any ideas on how I can get a cheap replacement through Verizon or anyone else?
    01-28-11 10:41 AM
    so at this point I'd like to stick with a BlackBerry smartphone and get the Monaco when it comes out in July/August. However, as a person that used to take several pictures a day with my BlackBerry, I'm going to have a hard time keeping this device until then since I can't take any video or pictures. And because I can't open either of those apps I've lost my flashlight too! Any body got any ideas on how to make it work? Got any ideas on how I can get a cheap replacement through Verizon or anyone else?
    If you check the VZW site, sometimes they sell refurbished models. Thats an option. Otherwise, your only other outlet is Craigslist, Ebay, or Amazon. Did you happen to try the idea I suggested? Open your pictures folder. From there select menu and then choose camera. Maybe that'll work.
    01-28-11 12:57 PM
    @Thachoc1: yes I did try that. thanks for the suggestion though. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem. I don't want to drop the money for the refurb right now. I guess I could check out craigslist and ebay though.
    01-29-11 07:49 PM
    If you lost your phone, you should file an insurance claim.
    01-30-11 08:01 PM
    I don't get insurance on my phones.
    01-31-11 09:22 AM
    Hmm that's questionable, but have you tried the manufacturer's warranty. If I'm not mistaken, you get an automatic 1 yr warranty or something of the such. Call VZW, and ask about a replacement via the warranty, not the insurance.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 02-01-11 at 03:14 PM.
    01-31-11 12:18 PM
    If you own a home, check with your insurance agent to see if it is covered under your homeowners policy. I lost a gold bracelet my wife gave me when I was out of town on business and they gave me 80% of the estimated value which at that time was more than she paid for it 4 years before.

An my policy replaced a lost phone for me as well, about a year later.
    01-31-11 02:54 PM
    Hmm that's questionable, but have you tried the manufacturer's warranty. If I'm not mistaken, you get an automatic 1 yr warranty or something of the such. Call VZW, and ask about a replacement via the warranty, not the insurance.
    I've had my phone longer than a year, so the manufacturer warranty has already expired.
    02-02-11 07:49 PM
    If you own a home, check with your insurance agent to see if it is covered under your homeowners policy. I lost a gold bracelet my wife gave me when I was out of town on business and they gave me 80% of the estimated value which at that time was more than she paid for it 4 years before.

An my policy replaced a lost phone for me as well, about a year later.
    I've always heard you're not really supposed to use your insurance for little things like that or it will cause them to up your rates or even drop you. But either way, I haven't lost the phone and I'm not going to lie and say that I have. It's just partially broken. I just need VZW to release a new BB soon! I'd really like to hold out for the Monaco but I don't think I can wait that long. And I really don't want to jump ship and get a Droid Bionic or HTC Thunderbolt when they come out, despite how attractive they sound.
    02-02-11 07:52 PM
    I've had my phone longer than a year, so the manufacturer warranty has already expired.
    Sorry to hear that. Hmmmm, I can't think of any other suggestions, sorry I couldn't help.
    02-03-11 03:17 PM
    I've always heard you're not really supposed to use your insurance for little things like that or it will cause them to up your rates or even drop you. But either way, I haven't lost the phone and I'm not going to lie and say that I have. It's just partially broken. I just need VZW to release a new BB soon! I'd really like to hold out for the Monaco but I don't think I can wait that long. And I really don't want to jump ship and get a Droid Bionic or HTC Thunderbolt when they come out, despite how attractive they sound.
    +1 No point in lying about it, especially if its gonna be on your mind.
    02-03-11 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD