Procedure
    Step 1 Ensure the Blackberry Desktop Manager is installed using Blackberry Internet Service, and not Blackberry Enterprise Server. If you are unsure, it would probably be a good idea to uninstall the Desktop Manager and start again.

If you don't have the CD that came with your Blackberry, the Software can be downloaded here.

Step 2 Download the file policy.bin and save it in your Blackberry installation directory (C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry).
    Step 3 Wipe your Blackberry, creating a backup if necessary. Select Options/Security/Wipe on the Device.

If this option is unavailable, you may have to install the latest software on your Blackberry. You need to Download and install the latest Desktop Manger Software, then the latest Handheld Software. Connect your device, open the Desktop Manager, select Application Loader, and follow the prompts.

Step 4 Close the Desktop Manager if it is open.
    Step 5 From the Windows Start Menu select Run..., and at the prompt type regedit. In the tree on the left hand side, navigate to:

HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin
    Step 6 Open the Desktop Manager.
    Step 7 Connect the Device.

Verification
    Once complete, the Options/Security screen on your Blackberry should not contain references to an IT Policy, you should now be able to change all settings (including password prompts), and install Third Party Applications.

I've used this on my 8700g, & my 8100 Pearl, and it works!

***use as is, and am not responsible for data loss, or BlackBerry / PC corruption! Also, you could get dismissed for doing this!

FYI - Removing the I.T. Policy is really more for people that have bought a BlackBerry on eBay or something, and it came with an I.T. Policy and thus they can't install anything...***
    Last edited by anon(153966); 10-22-07 at 08:28 PM.
    diegonei, versiero, JR A and 9 others like this.
    04-07-07 09:25 PM
    Hi,
    what you have posted is interesting. In my case I've tried to connect my 8700c with a thinkOutside Shasta keyboard but after pairing it device asks to change the "deny" setting to "allow" on "keystroke injection". I don not have the "allow" option, I do not have a BES environment, I do not have IT policy listed under Option/security....... Yes I've bought the device on Ebay but they said it was new . Is there any way to check if there is any remaining of previous installation of a BES?. I've tried your procedure but no changes!!!!
    May be I should update the OS? I have the V4.1.0.194 (Platform 2.0.0.90). Whould it make any difference?
    Any advice would be greatly apreciated
    Thanks
    04-13-07 07:51 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.com!

From your device, go to Options \ Security Options \ General Settings. Once in there, what's near the bottom, on that screen, above 'services'?
    04-13-07 08:08 AM
    I have "Content Compression" inth eline avove Services in General Setting
    Thanks
    04-13-07 09:16 PM
    Ok, so no I.T. Policy is on the device. Something else must be causing this issue...

Maybe the O.S. update would help. But, I'd check with the manufacturer of the keyboard...
    04-14-07 07:45 AM
    Thank you for your help
    This is really unusual
    Regards
    04-14-07 12:23 PM
    Should I check the firewall setting?. Firewall is set to "enabled" and I cannot change it either
    04-14-07 12:46 PM
    ...you could, but I doubt that would help. I think the best option would be an O.S upgrade. Just my opinion...
    04-18-07 08:54 PM
    Hello --

I recently left my company, taking my BB Pearl with me. I'd like to remove the "Desktop" service (and the IT Policy). I'm assuming that these instructions will do that, but I'm a little concerned about the "wipe" functionality. Will I have to reinstall/reconfigure all of my applications? What about my "Address Book" and existing messages on the device? Is wiping the device the only way that this will work?

BTW, please allow me to preemptively apologize for asking questions that have undoubtedly been covered in other forums/posts. Thanks for any replies.
    05-21-07 01:51 PM
    If you perform a backup you can restore everything afterwards from that backup. It would be best if you could get your old company to send you a blank IT policy and a reset of your firewalls.

The above poster had issues with his Shasta ThinkOutside keyboard. An OS upgrade will not fix the problem. This is due to a firewall restriction from a previous BES, although not included in the policy.bin. The blank policy in this thread does nothing to address the firewall issue. You can still end up with a restricted device even though you've applied the blank IT policy above.
    05-22-07 01:42 AM
    Thanks for the response, I'll try a backup (though, I have to admit, it still freaks me out a little).

My issue isn't with the firewall, it's with the overly restrictive password policy. Will the 'policy.bin' above resolve this issue?

Since I've been removed from the BES, it might be too much trouble to get my old company to fix things. It seems odd that there isn't a simple way to remove everything that came from BES once your user has been removed on the server-side.
    05-22-07 11:16 AM
    Well, I think the point of the restrictions is for you to not leave a signal area or disable the radio and have free reign over a device that is possibly company property. A hassle, yes, but if you're a BES admin it probably helps you get more sleep at night.
    05-22-07 02:20 PM
    OK, so I've been strugling with the same issue for the last few days. Tried the virus.bin policy, the policy.bin policy, doing a security wipe, doing a javaloader -usb WIPE, all to no avail after I made the mistake of trying to charge my personal bberry at work.

So am I totally screwed? I have mostly everything up and running again with the exception of any form of IM (OZ that came with it or any other third party IM). Basically can't disable the firewall.

Plz help!!!
    05-22-07 05:30 PM
    Thats filthy...
    07-07-07 03:07 AM
    Removing the I.T. Policy is really more for people that have bought a BlackBerry on eBay or something, and it came with an I.T. Policy and thus they can't install anything...

Anyway, try following the instructions again, BUT, on your home PC, a PC that is not connected to your work domain...

OK, so I've been strugling with the same issue for the last few days. Tried the virus.bin policy, the policy.bin policy, doing a security wipe, doing a javaloader -usb WIPE, all to no avail after I made the mistake of trying to charge my personal bberry at work.

So am I totally screwed? I have mostly everything up and running again with the exception of any form of IM (OZ that came with it or any other third party IM). Basically can't disable the firewall.

Plz help!!!
    07-07-07 07:06 AM
    Hi everyone

I had an IT policy that needed a password after 2mins of downtime. I followed the steps and it worked. The only additional things I needed to do was - restart the computer after the registry edit, and to make sure the blackberry connected with my computer - harder than I thought.

Thank you!
    07-18-07 10:20 PM
    this is great it fixed what I needed it too... got rid of the password prompting. what I'm trying to do now is to enable the BT Syncing from this unit.

is there another policy.bin around that will do that? or am I pushing it

thanks!

Tom
    07-18-07 10:52 PM
    If you still have those BB's on your company BES and you are changing the policies without permission... then you may be looking for a new job soon. Most companies don't like this, and start firing people. Just FYI.
    07-19-07 05:02 AM
    John what if your company doesn't have a BES and you got this off of ebay? Any suggestions on how to change the firewall?

Adam
    07-27-07 11:20 PM
    I ran the instructions in hope to remove some of the network socket blocks that T-Mobile as placed on my shiny new Pearl. Unfortunately, it not only didn't work but created a new problem:

Now the device requires the password be a minimum of 5 characters, and it requires a new password every few days!!!

Does anyone have another Policy.bin that doesn't have these password requirements?
    07-29-07 09:19 PM
    If you got your device off eBay, and there is an I.T Ploicy on it, I suggest you remove it, with my instructions above. That was why I created this thread in the first place, and scenarios like this...

John what if your company doesn't have a BES and you got this off of ebay? Any suggestions on how to change the firewall?

Adam
    07-29-07 10:10 PM
    The present Policy.bin has default password options. Something else much have happened during the update. Are the password options greyed out?

I ran the instructions in hope to remove some of the network socket blocks that T-Mobile as placed on my shiny new Pearl. Unfortunately, it not only didn't work but created a new problem:

Now the device requires the password be a minimum of 5 characters, and it requires a new password every few days!!!

Does anyone have another Policy.bin that doesn't have these password requirements?
    07-29-07 10:11 PM
    The present Policy.bin has default password options. Something else much have happened during the update. Are the password options greyed out?
    If you mean under Options > Security Options > General Settings, no, not to my knowledge.

I'm still very new to blackberry, much less messing about with it's internals. Thanks for putting up with me!
    07-30-07 09:25 PM
    In the same section (options / security options / general settings), scroll down, do you see IT Policy? If yes, and you're connected to BES, i.e. a work BlackBerry Server, then leave well alone - unless you want to be looking for a new job soon...

If you do see an IT Policy, and you bought your device on eBay or Craigslist, or something like that, then proceed to remove the IT Policy following my steps, step, by step...

Other than that, like I said, leave well alone...
    07-31-07 04:33 AM
    No, no IT policy settings. I bought this one from T-Mobile as my personal mobile, so I know it's not connected to a BES.

Unfortunately, by the time I had posted this, I had read and reread your directions multiple times, as well as performed the steps multiple times with the same results.

I'm not sure how to reset the Desktop Manager to the state it should be at the beginning of the directions. I have removed the registry key, of course, and restarted the desktop manager software. I did not go as far as to reboot the machine after removing the key.

Furthermore, does performing a Restore after the directions effect the IT policy? My suspicions say no, but I haven't found any confirmation of that.
    07-31-07 06:40 AM
494 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD