Howdy Crackberry Users,

I notice a lot of people love iPhones as well as Blackberry's. A lot of posts pop up asking if they should get a bb or an iphone...or should I go back to the bb..I miss the BB....iphone is a toy....i don't use the apps....i don't play games ect.

Bottom line is this:

The people who pose these questions....majority of them experience both platforms. So there is nothing new to them. This goes for android as well. The problem is people have a certain attachment to each OS that they like/hate. For instance, BBM! People love bbm and one of the reasons why they stick with bb. However, the people that jump ship to android or apple, have some type of remorse after awhile. Same thing for apple with apps or browser. Once they realize that they want to go back, they come and post on the forums asking them what to do. Basically, they want to justify getting the BB, Android, or iPhone again. They have this desire to hear other people with the same issues to help them make that deciding factor.

The common insult i hear for the people who have iPhones wanting BB again is.......I don't use the apps, I don't play the games. Now, ask yourself.....are you really making that up to justify going back to the BB? Maybe. I don't know anybody with a stock BB with no apps or games on it. Everybody atleast downloads some type of app off a BB. So, that throws the argument about the iPhone out the window. Games.......you might have a point on games since people don't normally play games on the phone like that. I guess they throw that in there just because.

Personally, I love both devices. I have the 9780 (have not used yet, still in box) and I currently use the iPhone 4. What goes into my deciding factor is this:

Let's face it, people get bored at times throughout a whole day. I pull out my BB.....what do i do? You have options, but not a lot. I pull out my iPhone....what do i do? Well, I could play a game! A real game with some great graphics such as Rage HD or Angry Birds ect, I could browse apps, I could delete if I don't like it (without having to restart the device), I could do useful things with apps such as since it's the holiday's....I can scan items and check to see which is the lowest price locally to me ect. Some of the things you can do on the BB but its still very limited.

What can you do on the BB you say? Well, maybe browse the app store (Not very useful as all decent apps in the BB app world are high prices or you'll pay something) Play brickbreaker? I don't know check your carrier account for your upcoming bill or usage? What I'm saying is this is ok for a newly fresh person with no smartphone background. Basically, this is their first smartphone. I'm not dissing the BB by any means as I might end up with the 9780. However, BB's are just what a lot of people classify them as....a "Communicative Device" Can't get better then a BB in that regard.

I will end off on this, if your making a return to the BB, ask yourself....what can i do on this device when I get bored

What I think is the best set up is a 9780+iPad! Best of both worlds

Feel free to comment...debate....agree ect...I'm all ears. I'm curious to hear what people who are wanting to come back to this platform have to say. Thanksw
    12-18-10 05:53 PM
    I have two apps on my BB: google maps and twitter.
    12-18-10 08:24 PM
    I'm 38 and frankly games aren't as important to me as they were 20 years ago. So for me the 9780 is an amazing device. I tried a recent super-faster Android device for a few days and I was unhappy with it. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about iPhone 4. Firstly, I want my phone to be a fast and effective communication and information tool. BlackBerry wins right there. BBM, typing, switch apps. Emailing, phone. 2-second speed-dial:yes. Google Maps with traffic for in the car: thumbs up. Fast and intuitive-yes. Notifications with sounds, led, screen icons...Great. Battery life, great(removeable too ofcourse.) Speakerphone, great. Get things done with clear tools like tasks, notes, voice note etc. Great. USB Tetherable:yes. Size in hand and pocket: great. Replace my alarm clock-yes. Cool desk dock-yes. If I want some entertainment: TuneIn, Mp3's, videos(I guess). The camera quality is most excellent on the 9780 I must agree. I can get my kicks through those things and through the great rss feeds in the Social Feeds app and just browsing. The new Webkit browser makes surfing a lot funner than on OS 5 and I can only hope it gets closer to the iPhone's surfing ability(I must admit surfing on that is fantastic.) I am in wonder of my 9780 most all the time. Make it slightly bigger with a larger screen that is multitouch and get that Webkit fullup to speed and I'll be an even more super-happy crackberryhead for a long long time. If it was up to me I'd put 1ghz processors in these BBs too. But, I bet something like that will appear within 1.5 years(hope sooner.) I'll be in line. Until then, my 9780 will be doing me good.
    Black_ice likes this.
    12-18-10 08:50 PM
    I'm 38 and frankly games aren't as important to me as they were 20 years ago. So for me the 9780 is an amazing device. I tried a recent super-faster Android device for a few days and I was unhappy with it. I'm sure I'd feel the same way about iPhone 4. Firstly, I want my phone to be a fast and effective communication and information tool. BlackBerry wins right there. BBM, typing, switch apps. Emailing, phone. 2-second speed-dial:yes. Google Maps with traffic for in the car: thumbs up. Fast and intuitive-yes. Notifications with sounds, led, screen icons...Great. Battery life, great(removeable too ofcourse.) Speakerphone, great. Get things done with clear tools like tasks, notes, voice note etc. Great. USB Tetherable:yes. Size in hand and pocket: great. Replace my alarm clock-yes. Cool desk dock-yes. If I want some entertainment: TuneIn, Mp3's, videos(I guess). The camera quality is most excellent on the 9780 I must agree. I can get my kicks through those things and through the great rss feeds in the Social Feeds app and just browsing. The new Webkit browser makes surfing a lot funner than on OS 5 and I can only hope it gets closer to the iPhone's surfing ability(I must admit surfing on that is fantastic.) I am in wonder of my 9780 most all the time. Make it slightly bigger with a larger screen that is multitouch and get that Webkit fullup to speed and I'll be an even more super-happy crackberryhead for a long long time. If it was up to me I'd put 1ghz processors in these BBs too. But, I bet something like that will appear within 1.5 years(hope sooner.) I'll be in line. Until then, my 9780 will be doing me good.
    I'm 27 but I could have written this post word for word. I'm brand new to BB. I've been a Nokia stan for the longest but I'm ready for a change. After MUCH research, I've come to the same conclusion you have. I don't need much. Standard apps like FB, Twitter, email, etc are fine with me. I like the ipod touch, but for music and the FB app if I don't have my comp, but I wouldn't want a device like that for a phone. I'm not into touchscreens either. I had a MyTouch 3g for a day and hated it. I'm not an android fan. My 9780 will be here Monday and I can't wait. I just got back from a Tmobile store so I could play with one and I compared it to the 9700 and feel that I've made the best choice.

I've been lurking this site for the past couple of days so hopefully I'll catch on to all the lingo and figure out how to get the full use of my phone.
    Last edited by luvshauna; 12-18-10 at 10:53 PM.
    12-18-10 10:49 PM
    I'm 27 but I could have written this post word for word. I'm brand new to BB. I've been a Nokia stan for the longest but I'm ready for a change. After MUCH research, I've come to the same conclusion you have. I don't need much. Standard apps like FB, Twitter, email, etc are fine with me. I like the ipod touch, but for music and the FB app if I don't have my comp, but I wouldn't want a device like that for a phone. I'm not into touchscreens either. I had a MyTouch 3g for a day and hated it. I'm not an android fan. My 9780 will be here Monday and I can't wait. I just got back from a Tmobile store so I could play with one and I compared it to the 9700 and feel that I've made the best choice.

I've been lurking this site for the past couple of days so hopefully I'll catch on to all the lingo and figure out how to get the full use of my phone.
    Just wanted to say wow, your pretty but on topic. I have every phone out there and when it came down to it i would buy load game after game. Play maybe each on for a few minutes just to try them out and never play again. BB is the best at messaging and notification bar none.

Get bored pull it out and how about..wait for it... call someone when travelling almost always have my ipad on me for the games if needed and they are better cause its not a 3.5 in screen. Just my take.
    12-18-10 11:25 PM
    ^ Thanks! But yeah I agree. I can't even remember the last time I played any games on any of my phones. I think my husband played a game on his when we first got it just to try it out (we have the same phone, Nokia e63), but the few times he does play any games, its mainly through the ipod touch. If I did play any, I would rather it be on something like the ipad as well. I think my son would enjoy it more than I would. I feel like I'm getting old because I'm now saying the very things my parents would say to me when I tried to convince them they needed a phone with color screens, camera, and video when phones first started coming out with that. lol
    12-19-10 08:29 AM
    I currently am using an iPhone 4 but will be switching back to Blackberry. Why? Because it's Blackberry. Both you and I know that the iPhone is more of a mobile computing device than a cell phone with great messaging capabilities.

I really use none of the cool features on my iPhone. I have FaceTime. I have done it maybe once or twice just to test it out. But it hasn't gone past that. I don't use it's iPod much because I don't listen to that much music. I have a 32GB iPhone and maybe 3GB is used from pictures and a *few* apps. I have Facebook, AIM, and a couple banking applications - really, just universal stuff that can be done on any phone.

When it comes down to it, the BlackBerry is STILL the best phone for text-based communication. They have 15+ years of development (and counting) in their phones. BBM is irreplaceable, especially if you work with a lot of people that have BlackBerry's. Businesses both small and big will continue to choose it as the preferred platform because the cost of switching away would be astronomically expensive - and let's remember that it works *just* fine for those businesses.

Let's not forget that running with the herd is not always the best thing. Yes, I ran with the herd when I bought my new iPhone 4 but sometimes, a good product does not need all of the newest latest and greatest technology. It needs to be the product that does it's job purposefully and nothing more. I believe that the BlackBerry Bold is still the #1 phone for "getting it done." You can call, message, email, text, listen to an MP3 here and there, and take a fairly decent picture. What more do *most* users need in a phone? I don't think I've ever known anyone that has 100% absolutely *needed* the ability to control their Apple TV from their phone, or have a game that makes you try to keep your finger in the right spot on the screen.

I LOVE Apple, I always have and always will, but that doesn't mean that I need to completely buy into their lifestyle. I will always buy their comptuers, and I will always have an iPod, but I don't feel that their phone is right for *every* person. So many of the apps in the App Store are just plain stupid and pointless. Every one in the Blackberry App Store is purposeful and useful. And if it's not, it's probably not in there.

I'm sick of the thought of being able to do everything imaginable on my cell phone. Maybe I want to pull out a phone book to call a restaurant to make a reservation. I don't *need* the ability to make opentable reservations right on my phone. Maybe I am in the minority on this, but there's some things I just want to do the old fashioned way.

Anyways, you get where I'm coming from and I think what phone I'd probably say to buy is quite clear. Cheers!!!
    Last edited by rlich8; 12-19-10 at 09:51 AM.
    Fatoomah likes this.
    12-19-10 09:48 AM
    I got a BB for communicating. It does a credible job of that. I also wanted to have my customer database on it. Got that too. I can do other stuff like check traffic. Gravy. If it could do more I would use it more, run the battery down faster, and detract from the primary mission. As a business device the BB is optimal. As a toy the iPhone kicks it in the taco and takes it's lunch money. As an OS Android is the going to be the standard for small devices.
    12-19-10 05:40 PM
    ^ Thanks! But yeah I agree. I can't even remember the last time I played any games on any of my phones. I think my husband played a game on his when we first got it just to try it out (we have the same phone, Nokia e63), but the few times he does play any games, its mainly through the ipod touch. If I did play any, I would rather it be on something like the ipad as well. I think my son would enjoy it more than I would. I feel like I'm getting old because I'm now saying the very things my parents would say to me when I tried to convince them they needed a phone with color screens, camera, and video when phones first started coming out with that. lol
    Your welcome i know its crazy how things come back around isnt it lol. Time waits for no one though. Using the ipad for the games saves big on battery also. Best of both worlds
    12-19-10 06:30 PM
    You can do **most** things on a Blackberry that you can do on the "other" phones, including opentable, and streaming music (Rhapsody, Pandora, Slacker, and soon Napster). It's simply just not as much fun on a Blackberry as on the other devices. But, other than graphical games, there isn't a lot you can't do on a Backberry.

However, the messaging and phone integration can't be beat on a Blackberry.

I carry a Blackberry Torch and an iPhone 4. Plus I have a full-blown iPad. I have no worries
    12-19-10 07:16 PM
    Easy answer. If you don't use your phone to talk get the Iphone. If you actually intend on making calls get the berry. Iphone is known for being the worst phone for dropped calls in the US. It's one of the big reasons AT&T is the lowest rated carrier by a recent consumer reports story.
    12-19-10 07:35 PM
    Trust me, ATT Blackberries drop a lot of calls too. Unless you turn off 3G.
    12-19-10 10:23 PM
    Agreed w everything on here. I have had a lot of berries and i miss the ease of use on my 9700. my 4 months w iphone 4 ( while waiting on 9780) have been fun but i talk about 3000 mins a months and email , text alot also.

I have found that the iphone battery is ok but only if i turn off --3g, location services, screen dark, notifications off, and dont talk alot. I have to always have a power cord nearby in bad, or car.

I cannot afford to get down to 30% on battery and have a long call to make w no power cord..bad feeling. I am addicted to trying to keep the battery full.

I really like it but am pretty sure i am going back to a 9780 for the email w attachments do not take forever to download and forward liek they do on i4!!!

Hurry up att
    12-19-10 10:50 PM
    I carry both 9780 and iphone4, but my voice plan is on the 9780, for me, it's the keyboard.

Coming from a 9000, I do find the 9780 a little less comfortable to type on. I begin to feel the iPhone and BB are not mutually exclusive..
    12-20-10 04:12 AM
    I agree that games are rubbish on the BB but thats not wot its good at imo.
    since i got my 9700 i can't put it down because i'm always chatting to people using the excellant keyboard and screen.
    BBM, facebook, msn, txt- i've never chated to so many poeple in my life and i've gotta say when i'm bored give me a good chat rather than a game anyday
    quite nice to know i can use it all day without fear of not having a charger nearby aswell.....
    12-20-10 06:27 AM
    I guess I'm going against the norm so far with my opinion, but I would stay with the iphone. This is probably different for you, but for me the iPhone is currently the best phone for me. I have tried every new iteration of blackberry since they have come out and everytime I go back to the iphone.

Blackberrys are definitely better messaging devices and if you are a power user then you should go with a blackberry. But in terms of ease of use as well as the capabilities of the device the iphone wins hands down. The apps for it are fantastic and no I'm not just talking about games, there are a number of apps I find to be incredibly useful such as drop box and mint as well as things I just like to have such as ski report and local concerts. While the blackberry does have basic apps, they run much slower and are almost a chore to use. When I had my torch, everyday I would wake up and want to use the weather.com app to check the day's weather. On my iphone it literally takes at most 10 secs for me to locate the app and get the hourly report for weather. On my torch, it would sometimes take minutes just to load the weather.com app. I also noticed this with many of my news apps as well.

Overall I guess I've just become too used to the iPhone to give it up. I hope that someday RIM will make a phone that will appeal to me again, but for now I'm a happy iPhone user.
    12-20-10 05:06 PM
    I guess I'm going against the norm so far with my opinion, but I would stay with the iphone. This is probably different for you, but for me the iPhone is currently the best phone for me. I have tried every new iteration of blackberry since they have come out and everytime I go back to the iphone.

Blackberrys are definitely better messaging devices and if you are a power user then you should go with a blackberry. But in terms of ease of use as well as the capabilities of the device the iphone wins hands down. The apps for it are fantastic and no I'm not just talking about games, there are a number of apps I find to be incredibly useful such as drop box and mint as well as things I just like to have such as ski report and local concerts. While the blackberry does have basic apps, they run much slower and are almost a chore to use. When I had my torch, everyday I would wake up and want to use the weather.com app to check the day's weather. On my iphone it literally takes at most 10 secs for me to locate the app and get the hourly report for weather. On my torch, it would sometimes take minutes just to load the weather.com app. I also noticed this with many of my news apps as well.

Overall I guess I've just become too used to the iPhone to give it up. I hope that someday RIM will make a phone that will appeal to me again, but for now I'm a happy iPhone user.
    some very good points in here as well.
    12-20-10 05:19 PM
    You can always get an iPod Touch and keep the games you really want.
    However, you can't replace the Blackberry with any kind of PMP. Just something to consider.
    12-20-10 10:10 PM
    For me the iphone is a joke / toy for teenagers.

Keypad. I am 6 foot 3, and have huge hands,
    touch screens don't work well for me.

No unlimited internet (Carriers fault, not iphones, but only on at and t)
    If you unlock, you don't get 3g speeds with a different carrier.

No removeable memory
    No removeable battery
    No picture messeging unless you get an app for it

Poor antenna (don't deny it)

Poor network coverage (At and T is too crowded)

Basically the iphone is great for funny apps and games.
    Something my GF loves, or a teenager.
    Iphone is a toy, BB is a tool.

my 2c
    Last edited by Atomdanger; 12-21-10 at 08:47 PM.
    12-21-10 08:44 PM
    I currently have almost two dozen apps on my BB 9780. That includes a few games. So, apps are important to me, but I don't feel particularly deprived by the apps available for the BB. I don't, however, have much interest in action/arcade games, so that's a consideration. I prefer word/puzzle/solitaire sorts of games that I can look at for a while and then come back to later. I rarely touch BrickBreaker. If I preferred more action-oriented games, I'd no doubt be more interested in the iPhone or an Android device.

For me, entertainment generally involves reading, so I use my Kindle and RSS reader apps quite a lot, and they work just fine on the BB. If I had an iPhone, I'd still be using those apps a lot, so there's no special reason to switch. I use Pandora and TuneIn and, again, they work just fine on the BB. In fact, for whatever reason, I can get a lot more Pandora play time before needing a battery charge than my wife can on her iPhone 4. I enjoy podcasts but, once again, the app on my 9780 works just fine.

That's not to say that BBs don't need more apps. I'm just pointing out that as a BB user, I'm also a fairly heavy app user. I've even watched movies on my BB, but it's not something that I have a desire to do very much of.
    12-22-10 08:53 AM

I will end off on this, if your making a return to the BB, ask yourself....what can i do on this device when I get bored
    I used to think like that when I was still in high school.

Point being, if you are a student who plays more games than make calls, then obviously iphone is a way to go.

However, not everyone sees a phone as a gaming device and use that as a deciding factor of buying the phone.
    12-22-10 10:50 AM
    For me the iphone is a joke / toy for teenagers.

Keypad. I am 6 foot 3, and have huge hands,
    touch screens don't work well for me.

No unlimited internet (Carriers fault, not iphones, but only on at and t)
    If you unlock, you don't get 3g speeds with a different carrier.

No removeable memory
    No removeable battery
    No picture messeging unless you get an app for it

Poor antenna (don't deny it)

Poor network coverage (At and T is too crowded)

Basically the iphone is great for funny apps and games.
    Something my GF loves, or a teenager.
    Iphone is a toy, BB is a tool.

my 2c
    You don't get 3g speeds if you unlock your bb and use it on a different network.
    You don't need an app to send picture messages Einstein.
    Business & entertainment apps on the iphone are > the apps on BB's
    HTML email is better on ios/android devices....
    BB'S notification system is better but other than that ios/android is > R.I.M right now...
    Your post is full of fail dude......lol....
    sallenthornton likes this.
    12-22-10 12:08 PM
    You don't get 3g speeds if you unlock your bb and use it on a different network.
    You don't need an app to send picture messages Einstein.
    Business & entertainment apps on the iphone are > the apps on BB's
    HTML email is better on ios/android devices....
    BB'S notification system is better but other than that ios/android is > R.I.M right now...
    Your post is full of fail dude......lol....

Lol! Thank you. I have swapped from bb to iPhone. Currently I'm back using my bb 9700 and my iPhone is a glorified touch. One thing I do notice is that my iPhone gets my hotmail much quicker than my bb. Gmail arrives on both phones within seconds.

It amazes me of how everyone calls the iPhone a toy, but yet we see many major banks, firms, military and some representatives in our government using them, or experimenting with them. I agree that previous versions of the iPhone lacked basic functions, but I also think the iPhone 4 is a solid phone. It has it's quirks, but it performs. Battery life is on par with other phones. I have yet to drop one call or experience any degradation in antenna while holding it. I live in Alaska (Fairbanks), and we are a smaller town with good coverage.

Could be just me, but I feel if the iphone had a keyboard and led notification, most of the precious bb users would migrate quickly to it. The toy argument is getting old. Truth is... I like my bb, but if I had to chose one phone, it would be the iPhone. I go through phases. Lol. When I'm around iPhone users, I miss mine, when I'm around bb users, Im happy with mine.
    12-22-10 12:49 PM
    Lol! Thank you. I have swapped from bb to iPhone. Currently I'm back using my bb 9700 and my iPhone is a glorified touch. One thing I do notice is that my iPhone gets my hotmail much quicker than my bb. Gmail arrives on both phones within seconds.

It amazes me of how everyone calls the iPhone a toy, but yet we see many major banks, firms, military and some representatives in our government using them, or experimenting with them. I agree that previous versions of the iPhone lacked basic functions, but I also think the iPhone 4 is a solid phone. It has it's quirks, but it performs. Battery life is on par with other phones. I have yet to drop one call or experience any degradation in antenna while holding it. I live in Alaska (Fairbanks), and we are a smaller town with good coverage.

Could be just me, but I feel if the iphone had a keyboard and led notification, most of the precious bb users would migrate quickly to it. The toy argument is getting old. Truth is... I like my bb, but if I had to chose one phone, it would be the iPhone. I go through phases. Lol. When I'm around iPhone users, I miss mine, when I'm around bb users, Im happy with mine.
    ^^^The toy argument can be annying...lol...I'm still a fan of R.I.M and if they release a desirable QNX device next year then ill switch to that..i agree the iphone's notification system could use some improvement, but other than that i love this device..I use to miss bbm, but now i'm over it...Most of my buddies were in the process of switching to android/ios devices anyway....
    12-22-10 01:07 PM
    I use to use bbm often, but like most, my friends and contacts have slowly migrated to other phones. If I had a business with several employees in the field, bb would probably be my choice.

I love the form function of bb, but just returned back from AT&T and am back to using my iPhone for a while. I do miss the true multitasking, but really enjoy using the apps on my iPhone compared to the same apps on my bb. They just seem more fluid and look great. Seems as if I facebook and twitter more often with my iPhone, as opposed to when I use the bb.

I don't game on my phone often, but I really enjoy the words with friends app and watching SEC football game of the week live on CBS sports mobile and honestly the FaceTime app has proven usefull when I have been on TDY.

Guess what I'm saying is that I don't need all these apps, but I enjoy having the option of using them if I choose too
    12-22-10 02:40 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD