Hey All,

I just recently got a Blackberry Torch 9800 from Best Buy in Canada, with a 3 year contract with Rogers. Best Buy is trying to sell me an extended warranty on the phone for about $14/month.

Over the course of 36 months, that works out to paying $504. By the end of my contract with Rogers, I might as well have just bought the phone twice!

My question to you guys, is there any reason I should get this plan? Or is it a complete ripoff?

The only reason I'm considering this is that I did have a couple problems with my old Blackberry Bold 9000 with things such as the reception, and the screen cutting out on me occasionally.

Is there any reason to get this extended warranty?
    12-17-10 08:44 AM
    For $14 I would say its a complete ripoff. Even Bell's Asurion extndede coverage is only $7/month and covers part of the cost of the new phone if it is lost stolen, physical or liquid damaged. $150 deductible for a new smartphone. I wouldn't bother with Bestbuy warranties as most of them ends up being useless. Ultimately its upto you.
    12-17-10 09:09 AM
    150 deductible in canada? 100 in the us,you guy pay through the nose up there.dang

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 09:11 AM
    IMO, unless you are someone who is prone to breaking electronic devices I never buy extended warranties. You almost never get your money's worth out of them.
    12-17-10 09:13 AM
    150 deductible in canada? 100 in the us,you guy pay through the nose up there.dang

Yeah and our monthly plans and 3 year contracts are even worse. Haha
    12-17-10 09:14 AM
    I can't see how they do 3 year deals?who benefits,certainly not the customer.

12-17-10 09:21 AM
    I can't see how they do 3 year deals?who benefits,certainly not the customer.

Exactly, its a money making scheme. Just like the Blackberry Torch is here on 3 year contracts for $150 with $100 gift cards at some places vs ATT on 2 year for $10 on some websites. Lol
    12-17-10 09:28 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions, thats pretty much what I thought. Especially because Rogers offers it's Handset Protection Plan at no additional charge.

Do any of you guys have any experience with Rogers' Handset Protection Plan? They say that if your phone breaks after the manufacturer's warranty has expired, that they can offer you a $0 replacement or a 'subsidized' repair fee.

Let's say my Torch bites the dust in a year and a half. What kind of replacement would rogers give me for $0? Would it be another Torch? Or would I have to downgrade to a Curve?
    12-17-10 11:45 AM
    Best Buy, and other stores, love to sell extended warranties. 9 times out of 10 they never get used. This is total positive cash flow for them.

The ONLY time I have ever purchased an extended warranty for ANYTHING, is when I bought a Maytag Superstacker washer and dryer. At $1800, it was worth the extra $ (can't remember how much it was, but I think about $200). It extended us to 5 years from 1 year (I think). We had repairs in years 3 and 4. It was worth it!
    12-17-10 12:09 PM
    ALL extended warranties are a ripoff. Insurance on phones is an equal ripoff. I NEVER
    buy either.
    SCrid2000 and rrrebo like this.
    12-17-10 12:13 PM
    What amazinglygraceless said. Never bought insurance on electronics and never needed any such.

12-17-10 12:21 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, thats pretty much what I thought. Especially because Rogers offers it's Handset Protection Plan at no additional charge.

Do any of you guys have any experience with Rogers' Handset Protection Plan? They say that if your phone breaks after the manufacturer's warranty has expired, that they can offer you a $0 replacement or a 'subsidized' repair fee.

Let's say my Torch bites the dust in a year and a half. What kind of replacement would rogers give me for $0? Would it be another Torch? Or would I have to downgrade to a Curve?
    From what I've been told by a friend who used the Roger's prtection plan is that after the manufacturer warranty is done and your phone craps out they just tack on 3 years onto your existing contract to give you a the shelf price for 3 year contract again. Seems weird but thats what my friend working for Rogers told me
    12-17-10 12:58 PM
    I got a similar warranty with Future Shop. I pay $10/month for the duration of my 3yr Rogers plan. My Bold 9000 broke so they replaced it no problem with a 9700. But that was in Jan 2010 and now they have "changed the rules" apparently on this warranty program, and now you have to be able to reproduce the problem in the store or they won't honor the warranty. And, if they see the problem firsthand, they do a factory reset and wipe it, then send you away with it "fixed". Only if you come back again with a problem that they can verify, will you get a new phone. It's a hassle and NOT what I signed up for...............already had a fight with the store manager about it.
    12-17-10 06:21 PM
    Its $10 a month for the Torch in the US. You pay zero deductible. If you drop your phone, break it, or even warranty issue you walk into Best Buy and they give you a brand new one. There is no $125 Asurion ded or crap like that.
    12-17-10 06:55 PM
    But with best buy,you need to keep the phone on the same line for 18mths when doing upgrades.not my cup of tea.

12-17-10 08:00 PM
    I don't think I have ever kept a phone 18 months better yet 3 years don't do it.
    12-17-10 09:40 PM
    ALL extended warranties are a ripoff. Insurance on phones is an equal ripoff. I NEVER
    buy either.
    THIS
    Insurance is the biggest cash cow companies have.
    12-17-10 09:50 PM
    I have to agree with AG. Most people don't keep phones for very long, so unless you plan to keep it for extended period of time pass on it.

12-18-10 12:39 AM
    Insurance is better than paying full price for a new phone.

12-18-10 12:43 AM
    Insurance is better than paying full price for a new phone.

If that was true, either a) they wouldn't offer it or b) it would cost more.
    I've had a cell phone since I was 18, and never had (or needed) insurance.
    Assuming $10 a month for insurance, that's about $700 I've saved by not having insurance. So even if I dropped my 9650 and it exploded into a million pieces, I would buy a new 9650 off ebay for around $300, and be ahead $400. That's not even figuring for the deductible.
    When you buy insurance, all you're really buying is placebic peace of mind. If that's worth it to you, then you most certainly should buy insurance.
    12-18-10 12:59 AM
    buy either.
    This. I've worked retail. I know. I also got screwed by one for a washer/dryer before I knew better. Never get the extended warranty.

Hey, this was my 2000th post!
    Last edited by rrrebo; 12-18-10 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Hey, this was my 2000th post!
    12-18-10 05:21 PM
    I don't think I have ever kept a phone 18 months better yet 3 years don't do it.
    the only thing i buy a warrenty with is a computer,this way you wont have to buy a comp for a num of year
    12-18-10 05:26 PM
    I agree my bb warranty is a rip off, but I got a 3yr warranty on my son's Ipod Touch and I'm really glad I did. They have fixed it 3 times, now we get a brand new one worth $300. And we still have til June 2012, so if the brand new one has problems, it's covered too.

I also got an extended warranty on an lcd tv........once again, I've had one repair already with 1.5 yrs left on the plan.

You really have to watch the Future Shop sales people though..........one guy tried to sell me an "extended 3 yr warranty" on a pvr. I got it home and the forms inside the box stated it already comes with a manufacturers' 3 yr standard warranty. I went back and got a refund and gave the clerk crap.
    12-18-10 05:32 PM
    But with best buy,you need to keep the phone on the same line for 18mths when doing upgrades.not my cup of tea.

Huh?? I get upgrades every 12 months no matter where I buy
    12-19-10 04:18 PM
    This. I've worked retail. I know. I also got screwed by one for a washer/dryer before I knew better. Never get the extended warranty.

Hey, this was my 2000th post!
    My sister n law has the iphone 4. Forgot to take it out of her pocket in her pants and threw it in the washer. This happened 3 days after she bought it. She went into Best Buy and paid no deductible and they gave her a brand new one and it would have cost her $699 off contract. So dont ever say dont get a warranty because you may there are no gaurantees somebodies expensive smartphone wont have a accident
    12-19-10 04:23 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD