I had a Pearl 8130, and now have a Pearl 9100, but I'm frustrated with a few things with these phones and I'm thinking about getting either a Torch going to the Android platform (probably HTC Desire Z).

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend which I should go with, based on what I do with the phone.

(Who likes bullets?)

Here's what I do with my phone:
    • Use Excel for all sorts of things.
    • Use RDM+ to remote desktop into my computer to check on things.
    • SMS, Email, Phone - typing speed is very important. I'm quick with this thing and don't want to go slower.
    • Mp3 player for car, walking, office,
    • Miscellaneous USB drive that keeps documents portable. I plug in at work and home and have my documents with me at all times.
    • Live Messenger, BBM, Facebook
    • Camera
    • Flashlight (A little thing that's so convenient).

The biggest gripes I have with my phone:
    • Screen is too small for most of the above-mentioned applications.
    • Poor web browsing experience (although installing OS6 was an improvement)

I'm considering the Torch, however, I'm wondering if my money would be better spent on the HTC Desire Z. The reasons I'd go with the Desire Z:
    • $100 cheaper without contract (Bell).
    • Faster.
    • More apps available. This isn't a big deal as the BB apps I use are so solid. I'm not into games or apps that appeal to the younger generations, but occasionally I see an app like Sky Walk (iPhone4) or Google Sky Map (Android) and I really want it on my phone.
    • Has a physical keyboard (which is important to me because I like speed without sacrificing accuracy). But I'm just wondering if I will like the landscape keyboard

Can anyone help? I've done all the reviews and read all the comments on the internet already (yes, all of them!). I'd just like a few user comments on the specific types of things I do, and how they'd be better/worse on an Android.
    12-16-10 07:30 AM
    I'm not here to sell you on Android...

but I made the switch from the 9700 to the G2 (known as the Desire Z where you are)... here are some pro's that came with it:

• Larger screen
    • Way better browser
    • Much faster
    • rarely a need to battery pull (and if needed, phone boots up in seconds, not minutes)
    • Widgets
    • Multiple home screens
    • Better app selection and market
    • Physical keyboard (though I had to get used to the wideness of it after being used to the bb formfactor) - Swype is really a **** of an on screen keyboard that you'll probably end up using a lot if you get it
    • Wireless tether
    • Hot Spot
    • No truncated emails - Worked out for me since the only email i used on my BB at the time was Gmail
    • Highly customizable.. take a look at the POST A SCREENSHOT thread
    • Free turn by turn voice navigation

Here are the cons:
    • Before rooting, battery life wasn't as good as blackberry
    • No BBM (Though I stopped missing it as much as I did when I first got the phone)

As far as what you currently do on your pearl:

• Use Excel for all sorts of things. - QuickOffice is available - Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc
    • Use RDM+ to remote desktop into my computer to check on things. - not sure on RDM+ but LogMeIn is available
    • SMS, Email, Phone - typing speed is very important. I'm quick with this thing and don't want to go slower. - Yup - but, it may take some getting used to typing on the physical keyboard... swype can make things go quick for you though. Some emails provide push while others provide pull - unlike BB which seems to make all email address Push (but I could be mistaken, I only used Gmail)
    • Mp3 player for car, walking, office, - Yup. Default player, Winamp, Poweramp, etc
    • Miscellaneous USB drive that keeps documents portable. I plug in at work and home and have my documents with me at all times. - Plug into any computer and it'll be seen as an external drive when you select the option on the phone
    • Live Messenger, BBM, Facebook - There are clients for Live Messenger (BeeJive, Trillian, MSN Talk, etc), no BBM (for obvious reasons), and yes on Facebook.. it's also just been updated to include push notifications and the actual facebook messenger integrated within it
    • Camera - Yup... including 720p recording... however, the quality of the pic seems to only be GREAT in bright areas... not so much in low light
    • Flashlight (A little thing that's so convenient). - Yup, flash light apps in the android market

Now... if you're used to the Blackberry UI and want to continue using something pretty familiar.. I don't think you can go wrong with the Torch

But if you want some great horsepower under the hood of your phone, a wider selection of apps, widgets, browser, and can do without BBM, I'd say saving that $100 is worth it.

Remember though, this is just MY OPINION... yours may vary, go to the store and play with one. You might fall in love like i did.
    Last edited by ThaGeNeCySt; 12-16-10 at 10:32 AM.
    12-16-10 10:15 AM
    Try one out, and see for yourself. The difference is like night and day. You'll wonder why you waited so long to make the switch.
    12-16-10 11:06 AM
    ThaGeNeCySt,

Thanks for the reply and the opinion. That's precisely what I'm looking for! I'm from a relatively small Canadian city and I haven't even been able to talk to another Android user. The guys in the Bell/Telus stores say "They're ok. Some people like them. Some people don't. We haven't sold many.".

I have managed to play with the Desire Z in store. But the 5 minutes you get with it isn't long enough to form an opinion. I need a few hours usage to get a good idea. This is a really sad thing about phones really. I don't think Bell has a "buy/try/return if you don't like" policy, and it's terrible that you have to just buy a $600 piece of technology on a whim like this.

I appreciate your objectivity, but your comments really do sway me in the Android direction though:
    • I have no problem adjusting to the new ways of a different OS. If I buy something like this, it will consume me for days on end. I'll end up exploring every menu and feature within the phone.
    • I do like BBM a lot, but I only talk to one person on there now. I don't have that many BB-using friends.
    • I'm fine with getting used to a different keyboard, as long as it is ergonomic and I can potentially get as fast as I can type on the BB.

Thanks again for your reply!
    12-16-10 11:14 AM
    Also, if you want a different soft keyboard, you can change it! I'm putting in my loose change for SwiftKey. I've been using it, and it's growing on me quickly.

Also, for non-gmail, or non-yahoo mail accounts, you might want to look at K9, or Touchdown for better email management; and a unified inbox.
    12-16-10 11:40 AM
    I'm getting a G2 later!! by by 8320!!
    12-16-10 11:46 AM
    Well I've got both the Torch and the Desire Z. They both have pros and cons to them..but overall i'm much more impressed with the Desire Z. The only thing that will take getting used to coming from BB is the physical keyboard. I still don't like it..but i'm getting more used to it. The virtual keyboard (especially in landscape) is fantastic..and i think i'm actually faster on that than the Torch's physical KB..just because the intuitive software is amazing. The software "learns" your typing habits and words..and eventually after starting a word in 2-3 letters it's already making the suggestion for you..which actually speeds up your typing capabilities.

The biggest downside coming from the Torch to the DZ was the amount of time it took to "learn" the new OS and set up the phone to how I have become accustomed..such as ringtones and notifications etc. It was literally a solid 3 days of non-stop searching the internet for appropriate apps, suggestions, help etc. Now that i've got it setup to how I like, I haven't touched my Torch in weeks. Battery life is also worse..but it still gets me thru the day (unless i'm doing some gaming or heavy web browsing)..but if i'm just texting, IM'ing, making calls and emails..it's more than enough to get thru the day (although I did have to do alot of research and follow tips to improve the battery life..but you'd have to do that with Torch as well).

I have had a few issues lately with what seem to be data "outages". I've got full bars and when I try to log onto the web..it just sits there and does nothing. I've either got to restart the phone (which takes all of 20seconds..literally) or click off my Mobile Network..and then click it back on. I think this might have something to do with being a Bell phone unlocked with Telus..but i'm not sure. It could also have something to do with the root/S-off on the phone. Again..i'm no expert (yet ). Any other questions feel free to PM me..but I'd suggest trying out the DZ!
    12-16-10 12:20 PM
    The virtual keyboard (especially in landscape) is fantastic..and i think i'm actually faster on that than the Torch's physical KB..just because the intuitive software is amazing. The software "learns" your typing habits and words..and eventually after starting a word in 2-3 letters it's already making the suggestion for you..which actually speeds up your typing capabilities.
    Now think about the countless posts on CB from BB users telling people it is IMPOSSIBLE to type faster on a virtual keyboard than a physical one.

Glad to see you are enjoying your device.
    12-16-10 12:25 PM
    i don't bother with my slide out anymore. I'd try to get used to it, but the landscape, with multitouch is so much faster.
    12-16-10 12:36 PM
    Now think about the countless posts on CB from BB users telling people it is IMPOSSIBLE to type faster on a virtual keyboard than a physical one.

Glad to see you are enjoying your device.
    Agreed. I was someone who thought like that once..especially after using the virtual keyboard on the Torch vs the physical one. The virtual keyboard of the Torch, while not terrible, it's definately not up to speed on with the others available.

My keyboard of choice right now is Smart Keyboard. I've tried Swift, but after coming from Smart..it just didnt appeal overall to me as much as Smart (perhaps thats because Smart's already "learnded" :P my tendencies). Since I haven't figured out how to get Swype yet..I tried SlideIt and like it..but i'd need to give it more time to grow on me I think.
    12-16-10 12:45 PM
    Agreed. I was someone who thought like that once..especially after using the virtual keyboard on the Torch vs the physical one. The virtual keyboard of the Torch, while not terrible, it's definately not up to speed on with the others available.

My keyboard of choice right now is Smart Keyboard. I've tried Swift, but after coming from Smart..it just didnt appeal overall to me as much as Smart (perhaps thats because Smart's already "learnded" :P my tendencies). Since I haven't figured out how to get Swype yet..I tried SlideIt and like it..but i'd need to give it more time to grow on me I think.

I'm using swiftkey now and it is learning everything. Getting better and better. I was using the Gingerbread keyboard before that and Swype before that.

Here is a link to download swype..

https://beta.swype.com/android/get/
    12-16-10 12:48 PM
    maybe I should give swift key another shot... it just wasn't clicking with me when I first got my G2 and tried the trial version.
    12-16-10 01:31 PM
    ill never go back to rim after android..
    12-20-10 05:45 PM
    I've literally had SwiftKey correctly predict 8 words in a row for me a few times. It's really nice when you just hit the SpaceBar 8 times and your sentence is done.
    12-20-10 06:25 PM
    Ill agree I can type faster on the droid x in landscape than I did on the curve. Swype is muy bue�o find myself going back and forth all the time. The only I miss about my berry was the trackball.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-20-10 09:46 PM
    I just made the switch from Tour to Mesmerize (Galaxy S) and what everyone has said seems to be spot on for me as well. I love how configurable Android is. The idea of giving up the physical keyboard was something that I wasn't looking forward to, but now that I have had it, I don't miss the keyboard at all. Swype works well for me, and I'm typing pretty quick on it already.

While moving data (passwords, and other documents) over from my Tour, I started to feel like the trackball was slowing me down. I'm sure with a Torch, and maybe even a trackpad, it might not be that much of a difference, but since I was still using a trackball device, it was very noticeable.

I think the biggest thing I'm having issue with is finding apps that I like as much as the ones I had on my Tour. I haven't found a good replacement for Berry Weather (graphics, radar, ability to add more radar and weather cameras) yet, and I miss Social Scope (although TweetDeck is pretty close - just miss being able to mute people/facebook apps and access facebook pages). There may not be as many apps out there for BlackBerry, but some of them are very well done and put Android apps to shame (of course, it may just be that I haven't found the right apps yet).

There are a few things I miss about my BlackBerry (BBM, some apps), but for the most part, I'm really happy with the switch.
    12-22-10 04:07 PM
    There are a few things I miss about my BlackBerry (BBM, some apps), but for the most part, I'm really happy with the switch.
    In time you will figure out what best works for you. With the exception of BBM you can pretty much substitute whatever app you miss on Blackberry. The major Android apps pretty much equal or sometimes surpass BB and iPhone apps.
    12-22-10 04:37 PM
    I have noticed from the BB to the Incredible is I am typing on my incredible with one hand and on the BB I used both. it is easier for me to use the Incredible one handed than with two. I mastered the touch in no time. I had a touch 3 yrs ago. I am so loving this device.
    12-23-10 01:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD