If you use a iPhone 4 plan with a blackberry what features would still be enabled?

Obviously no bbm/visual voicemail/push email which are all through rim

But would call/text/web still be active?

I used my blackberry abroad on vodaphone in the UK, 3 mobile in AUS, and vodaphone in NZ

All times my blackberry worked fine with calls/texts but i did not have a data plan, just a prepaid sim with voice/text.

Would it be different here in the US on a contract plan? Since I pay for a data plan will I still be able to use the browser on my bb?

I live on the beach to attend college right now and get no AT&T service. This would just be a temp fix while I'm at school before I go back to NY. All my friends get service, my phone is just weak I guess.
    Last edited by dmbfan41; 12-15-10 at 11:53 PM.
    12-15-10 11:50 PM
    It needs to be the other way around. Iphone 4 with bb plan, I do the same thing. Everything will work on both devices, I even got visual VM working on my iPhone 4.

Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone to change the access point of the iphone.
    12-16-10 10:02 AM
    yah oh well. i don't want to switch and a new contract. i'm gonna drop at&t in a year and go back to verizon.

the iphone is great until you want to get stuff done. the only thing about it that is more productive is the browser.

i miss the blackberry alarm, contact manager, and email.
    12-16-10 12:29 PM
    yah oh well. i don't want to switch and a new contract. i'm gonna drop at&t in a year and go back to verizon.

the iphone is great until you want to get stuff done. the only thing about it that is more productive is the browser.

i miss the blackberry alarm, contact manager, and email.
    the above user is right. It has to be done the other way. And you dont have to sign a contract to change your data plan
    12-16-10 12:31 PM
    Correct information inbound: The only way to have such a phenomenal data feature is to start with BlackBerry unlimited data, and have the feature changed to the BlackBerry + Apple feature. I have no idea if BlackBerry VVM will work with this, as the former was created before the latter.

This is not a well-known feature, and if you don't already have unlimited data for a smartphone, you cannot even begin to walk this path.
    12-17-10 11:40 AM
    I have the unlimited iphone data plan, I have an iPhone 4 but also a bold 9700, I tried calling AT&T to switch to unlimited blackberry data and the rep said I should be able to keep unlimited data since I already had it and I would just be switching but he couldn't find the option, anyone have any luck now that they no longer offer unlimited data? Also could I use the iPhone long term on a blackberry data plan without AT&T catching it and switching my plan? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 11:09 PM
    The rep would have to change your IMEI, THEN add the BlackBerry data feature, THEN delete the iPhone data feature, THEN reactivate your basic email, THEN save it all in one shot. It really depends on who you talk to, whether they know how to do all this or not, but you can indeed do this without any special handling.

Then have you power cycle your phone, set up your voice mailbox again, and make sure everything works.

I believe it takes some special stuff to then change from the BlackBerry data service to BlackBerry & iPhone service... just keep in mind that if you're trying to alternate between an iPhone 4 and any other phone, you'll need extra SIM cards... as the iPhone 4 uses a doofy micro SIM that just rattles around inside any other phone.
    01-04-11 12:37 PM
    I just switched from an iPhone to a BlackBerry on AT&T by calling customer support. I was able to keep unlimited everything and only my voice mail was changed. Three days later I switched back to my iPhone and the same situation applied. Nothing was lost and I wasn't charged, but I did have to set up my voicemail again.
    01-20-11 04:51 PM
    You wont lose your unlimited plan, you were grandfathered in to it.
    01-25-11 08:36 PM
    Little clarification, please. Back in December my wife went from the iPhone 3Gs to the 4. I was using my BB9000. I wanted to play with the iPhone, so I had the ATT rep swap my sim and service to her old 3Gs.

Okay, 2 months later and i pine for my BB. It looks like I just put the sim back in my 9000 and call customer service, they will switch the data plan back to the BB?

And if so, in a couple of months, I miss iBooks (it is a superior ebook reader for the phone, more screen real-estate) and. I decide to go back to the iPhone for a while, do I have to make another call, or will the iphone work on the BB data plan without change?

Thanks, I look forward to the answers,
    Michael
    02-05-11 10:50 PM
    Little clarification, please. Back in December my wife went from the iPhone 3Gs to the 4. I was using my BB9000. I wanted to play with the iPhone, so I had the ATT rep swap my sim and service to her old 3Gs.

Okay, 2 months later and i pine for my BB. It looks like I just put the sim back in my 9000 and call customer service, they will switch the data plan back to the BB?

And if so, in a couple of months, I miss iBooks (it is a superior ebook reader for the phone, more screen real-estate) and. I decide to go back to the iPhone for a while, do I have to make another call, or will the iphone work on the BB data plan without change?

Thanks, I look forward to the answers,
    Michael
    For the first question, yes. You should be able to put your SIM into your 9000 and have customer service change it over to BB data from iPhone data, assuming the rep is comfortable enough to be able to take the IMEI and other handset data over the phone. You might even be able to do it on the AT&T website under My Account. I've done it both ways multiple times with T-Mobile and Verizon so I don't see why AT&T would be any different. I find it's easier to go into the store. Hand them the BB and your SIM card, say "I want to switch from my iPhone to this BB" and have them make the change right then and there. It takes less than 5 minutes.

The iPhone should work on the BB data plan without change because, from what I understand, the only difference between the two is that the BB has BIS service in addition to the data services.

This is what I was told by a AT&T rep last night so that could be different for different plans (or he could be wrong ) - don't take my word for it 100% before others chime in.
    02-06-11 06:11 PM
    Just don't forget that the iPhone 4 and the iPad use a wholly different SIM type than any other GSM cellular equipment. Can't swap without changing SIM cards on the account level.
    02-07-11 04:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD