I have 2 questions about this. Will performing a wipe downgrade the OS that I have on my bold from .983 to .6something that came with the phone when I bought it?

And will it erase the contacts from my sim card?

Please help me out, thanks..
    12-08-10 10:19 AM
    Remove the sim card for safety's sake. It will not downgrade your OS. I'm guessing you probably had 5.0.0.699 on it when you got it. Why are you wiping?
    12-08-10 10:29 AM
    To downgrade the os you'll have to use app loader, it's a simple process:

1- delete any higher os versions than that you want to install

2- download the os you want to install on the phone

3- run the exe file

4- run app loader and select the downgrade option
    12-08-10 12:13 PM
    Remove the sim card for safety's sake. It will not downgrade your OS. I'm guessing you probably had 5.0.0.699 on it when you got it. Why are you wiping?
    I'M downgrading because my phone keeps rebooting on its own..and i figured out that when i restored the backup file from my old curve 8530 onto my new bold that it may be corrupt which can cause the reboots..

i guess that a wipe will get rid of all of that and my phone will work properly now..

thanks
    12-08-10 12:22 PM
    I'M downgrading because my phone keeps rebooting on its own..and i figured out that when i restored the backup file from my old curve 8530 onto my new bold that it may be corrupt which can cause the reboots..

i guess that a wipe will get rid of all of that and my phone will work properly now..

thanks
    If your os is causing your phone to reboot a simple security wipe isn't going to fix it as it doesn't do anything to the os, you need to downgrade and then upgrade again if you so chose
    12-08-10 12:28 PM
    If your os is causing your phone to reboot a simple security wipe isn't going to fix it as it doesn't do anything to the os, you need to downgrade and then upgrade again if you so chose
    I'd say start with the security wipe first and try an advanced/selective restore to avoid (hopefully) the corrupt database.

As OS wipe would be the next logical step.
    12-08-10 12:35 PM
    i meant to say wiping instead of downgrading in the first sentence..my bad
    12-08-10 12:53 PM
    I'm about an hour away from upgrading to a used 9650 (Verizon). Obviously I want to get the system back to out-of-the box condition, well as close as possible anyway.

So, if I'm understanding this thread correctly, I need to remove my SIM card before I wipe my Bold?
    12-08-10 01:36 PM
    I've never had the sim card in, it's the first thing I remove from the phone. You shouldnt need to remove it to dg but you can to be safe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-10 03:58 PM
    I've never had the sim card in, it's the first thing I remove from the phone. You shouldnt need to remove it to dg but you can to be safe

Why do you remove the sim card first?
    12-09-10 09:30 AM
    Why do you remove the sim card first?
    contacts can be stored on a sim card
    12-09-10 02:30 PM
    if im not mistaken you have to direct the device to store contacts on the SIM (ie it isnt automatic), so if you havent told it to you should be ok. Ive done several security wipes and the SIM card still works whenever im in out of the country...
    12-11-10 07:29 AM
    What Nozzles says is abosloutely correct.
    12-11-10 07:53 AM
    if im not mistaken you have to direct the device to store contacts on the SIM (ie it isnt automatic), so if you havent told it to you should be ok. Ive done several security wipes and the SIM card still works whenever im in out of the country...
    You are correct, contacts are not stored on the sim by default but if you're not sure if you have them stored on it you may as well remove it

12-11-10 03:12 PM
    You are correct, contacts are not stored on the sim by default but if you're not sure if you have them stored on it you may as well remove it

Fact of the matter is, remove the SIM card and either flip it over and reinstall or put it in some other safe place. I keep mine in my phone, if I put it in some other safe place it would be safer than I would want it to be because I would probably never remember where I put it.

After removing the SIM card, change your network technology to 1XEV. Your phone doesn't need the SIM card for US carriers on CDMA so why have your phone burn extra battery power seeking GSM signals that it will not be able to use.

If you travel internationally, all you need to do is flip it back/reinsert from safe storage, change network technology back to Global and you are good to go.
    12-11-10 05:19 PM
    Fact of the matter is, remove the SIM card and either flip it over and reinstall or put it in some other safe place. I keep mine in my phone, if I put it in some other safe place it would be safer than I would want it to be because I would probably never remember where I put it.

After removing the SIM card, change your network technology to 1XEV. Your phone doesn't need the SIM card for US carriers on CDMA so why have your phone burn extra battery power seeking GSM signals that it will not be able to use.

If you travel internationally, all you need to do is flip it back/reinsert from safe storage, change network technology back to Global and you are good to go.
    Couldn't agree more, the first thing I've done to all my blackberry's is remove the sim card and put it somewhere safe
    12-12-10 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD