I am really wondering if it is worth buying an apps for protecting the phone. I currently using Smrt Guard and the one month trial is closing to the end.

It will cost me about $35.99 per year and I think that is too much.

What do you think?

It has an antivirus, anti spam, backup and those things you can think off.

If you could, can you please tell me what app you use for protection?
    12-06-10 09:43 AM
    God no. Just don't lose your phone. What a waste of money.
    Password protect it with lock out period 1 hour and you are fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 10:03 AM
    Password protect your phone, back it up regularly. BlackBerry Protect (BB version of SmrtGuard I guess you'd say) will be out to the public sooner then later, I've been beta testing it for months now and it is incredibly easy to use and just what you're looking for (and free ). Until it comes out just take care of your BB
    12-06-10 10:05 AM
    Wow! Thanks for the information

Anyway way I can get a sneak preview of the product you are saying? Any beta link or something?
    12-06-10 10:34 AM

Anyway way I can get a sneak preview of the product you are saying? Any beta link or something?
    No. When you are invited to the Beta test for the app there is a registration
    code you must use. The registration codes are based on your device PIN so
    even if someone sent you the files you would not have a legitimate code and
    that will make using the app completely impossible.
    12-06-10 10:46 AM
    Ouch! Nevermind...I will wait patiencely for it to arrive

Anyway, thanks for helping guys!
    12-06-10 10:59 AM

You might want to check out Lookout. It has antivirus (probably not needed, but it's there), automatic backup & phone finder, including "scream" (bet you can figure out what that does on a lost phone ). And it's free at https://www.mylookout.com/ .
    Last edited by kraski; 12-06-10 at 11:03 AM.
    12-06-10 11:01 AM
    Sounds like a decent app. But would I pay $35 dollar a year for it? definately not, heck, if it has a yearly subscription fee that is higher than the fee of the best antivirus program on a PC (NOD32 Antivirus = $50 USD for 2 year license), then I think it's too much.

Some people value it though, but I personalyl always keep an eye on my berry so....
    12-06-10 11:39 AM
    I wouldn't pay a subscription (cough scam cough) fee for any application on my phone. That to me is a ripoff.

12-06-10 01:45 PM
    I was in your boat for a while... Really liked smartguards paid features but am still satisfied with the free ones. They ask a bit much. $10 a year and I'm in.

12-06-10 09:32 PM
    I am with RootBrian on this....I have only paid for one app so far, which was half off recently in BerryBuzz, awesome app by the way.

Besides that, have no need for most....

I just password lock my phone and is good to go. Even wrote my number on the inside of my battery cover, in case an honest abe picks it up.

12-06-10 10:34 PM
    I am with RootBrian on this....I have only paid for one app so far, which was half off recently in BerryBuzz, awesome app by the way.

Besides that, have no need for most....

I just password lock my phone and is good to go. Even wrote my number on the inside of my battery cover, in case an honest abe picks it up.

Oh I've paid for many apps (QL, BerryBuzz, iLock, BatteryEx, some games) and themes, just the whole point of a security app that you have to pay for (and much worse charging yearly subscriptions ) when you can make your BB very secure without any program is pointless.

Like I said, Protect should be out soon, they asked people awhile ago if it was ready for public release and it's worked flawlessly for me and I'm assuming most, so it should be pushed out shortly. Until then, PW with a reasonable timeout and backing up your BB often is perfectly acceptable, and don't download anything and set permissions to allow if you don't know what it is. You'll be fine lol
    12-06-10 11:15 PM
    Oh I've paid for many apps (QL, BerryBuzz, iLock, BatteryEx, some games) and themes, just the whole point of a security app that you have to pay for (and much worse charging yearly subscriptions ) when you can make your BB very secure without any program is pointless.

Like I said, Protect should be out soon, they asked people awhile ago if it was ready for public release and it's worked flawlessly for me and I'm assuming most, so it should be pushed out shortly. Until then, PW with a reasonable timeout and backing up your BB often is perfectly acceptable, and don't download anything and set permissions to allow if you don't know what it is. You'll be fine lol
    I agree. Probably best to wait for Protect to release at this point. I've heard nothing but positive feedback on it as well.
    12-07-10 12:14 AM
    Have you looked at Where's My Phone? It's fairly inexpensive at US$3.99, has a fairly small footprint (172KB), and it works! I've been using it for several months and am happy with it.
    12-07-10 05:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD