I am curious. What is the recommended free memory to ensure the phone is running well. Of course the more is better but I am curious. I read a few who said 10mb and others say 12mb and 15 mb respectively. What is the minimum free memory in your opinion?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 07:34 AM
    Just keep it high.
    Any Apps you don't need? Delete it.
    Anything running that you aren't really using? Kill it.
    Havent battery Pulled in a while? Pull it.

10-12 is rediculously low.
    Even my 8330 had more.
    12-06-10 07:37 AM
    Keep as much as you can free without it bogging down on you.

Each user is going to be different, that's why you see such different numbers. Just remember, when you look at the free memory, think about how much memory each app will need when you launch it and try to keep a buffer.

I've not ran into issues with my 9700 memory wise, I run with about 75 MB free without much trying.

On my 9000, it had half the memory. To get OS5 to run on it, I had to shrink it and be picky what I installed. I found with it, if it got below 20MB, things stopped working... MMS wouldn't send, emails would stall with the red clock or red X, GPS would not fire up for apps... After that, I personally try to keep it above 30mb free. But, like I said, that's not been an issue on my 9700.

Like Deathcommand said, just delete what you don't need/use and do a battery pull when needed.
    12-06-10 08:17 AM
    Keep as much as you can free without it bogging down on you.

Each user is going to be different, that's why you see such different numbers. Just remember, when you look at the free memory, think about how much memory each app will need when you launch it and try to keep a buffer.

I've not ran into issues with my 9700 memory wise, I run with about 75 MB free without much trying.

On my 9000, it had half the memory. To get OS5 to run on it, I had to shrink it and be picky what I installed. I found with it, if it got below 20MB, things stopped working... MMS wouldn't send, emails would stall with the red clock or red X, GPS would not fire up for apps... After that, I personally try to keep it above 30mb free. But, like I said, that's not been an issue on my 9700.

Like Deathcommand said, just delete what you don't need/use and do a battery pull when needed.
    To get OS6 to run no? Cause with OS5 i had a lot of free memory now with OS arround 70mb and it s very stable.
    12-06-10 08:27 AM
    To get OS6 to run no? Cause with OS5 i had a lot of free memory now with OS arround 70mb and it s very stable.
    I think you are confused.

I was talking about OS5 on the 9000 (not the 9700) is where I ran into the low memory. I've not had that problem with OS5 on the 9700.

I have no plans to install any of the leaks of OS6, and probably won't even install any "Official" builds of it. I could care less about OS6 myself.
    12-06-10 09:34 AM
    Thanks guys! Been great to me

I am trying to keep as many memory free as I can

By the way, does Close or Exit really stop the apps from running anymore (even in the back ground) until you turn it back up?
    12-06-10 09:39 AM
    Thanks guys! Been great to me

I am trying to keep as many memory free as I can

By the way, does Close or Exit really stop the apps from running anymore (even in the back ground) until you turn it back up?
    You have to press MENU then EXIT from each app. Hitting the END button will only minimze it, this is both on OS 5 and OS 6
    12-06-10 09:46 AM
    Thanks for clarifying!
    12-06-10 10:26 AM
    I would always close out any running apps to make sure the memory on mine is free for use when I need it. OS 5 or the leaked OS 6, doesn't matter at all. Remember to close them.

12-06-10 01:44 PM
    i don't really install much, maybe i need to research more useful apps, but i sit around 95mb haha
    12-07-10 12:30 AM
    i haven't restarted my bold for about 12 days now; and i'm sitting at around 45 megs free.

unless you have less than around 15 megs; it doesn't matter how much memory you have free. there is no difference in speed/smoothness between a BB with 30megs free and a BB with 100megs free.
    12-07-10 12:52 AM
    Having a maximum amount of free memory is most useful for loading that NEXT app, or the NEXT webpage(s). After all, how can you be sure how much memory the next page to load will require? This is why I like to keep my berry running as lean as I can. I do not want my smartphone's operating system to choose which data to delete before I've had a chance to back it up.

The best way to determine if an app has closed completely, or just what you have loaded in the background whether you started it or it loaded automatically at boot, is to press and hold the bb (menu) key. You will then see what is running in real time. Normally, you will see the following icons: Home, Messages, Phone, Browser, and BBM (if you have it installed). The rest will be apps that you have started or that you have given permission to start themselves when the phone is booted.
    WolfmanRobby likes this.
    12-07-10 04:56 AM
    Right on! thanks for the tip mate!

12-07-10 07:55 AM
    Normally, you will see the following icons: Home, Messages, Phone, Browser, and BBM (if you have it installed). The rest will be apps that you have started or that you have given permission to start themselves when the phone is booted.
    I know i should start my own thread but I keep forgetting until I read this.
    I was able to remove bbm with os5 but i can not get it off of my os6.
    I installed it with app world but there is no remove button.
    Anybody have luck remoing it in os6.
    12-07-10 08:49 AM
    I used Shrink an OS to remove BBM. I'm not on my PC at the moment to give you a download link or to list the specific cod files, but I was able to find the link doing a search in these forums.

12-07-10 08:59 AM
    i haven't restarted my bold for about 12 days now; and i'm sitting at around 45 megs free.

unless you have less than around 15 megs; it doesn't matter how much memory you have free. there is no difference in speed/smoothness between a BB with 30megs free and a BB with 100megs free.
    I beg to differ...least on os6...if I go below 30megs due to the memory loss, my phone gets the clock on a constant basis and lots of weird stuff goes on....I do a battery pull and I sit at 60 and all is swell till the memory leak kicks in.

I am usually doing 1 BP a day, sometimes can make it to two.

Small annoying issue.

12-07-10 03:05 PM
    I still haven't restarted my phone and I'm still sitting on 45megs free of application memory. I'm also running OS 6. I just checked the memory and it's at 29 megs free.

No issues on the phone.

12-07-10 03:16 PM
    Actually here's a fun experiment for anyone using OS 5.

Check your free memory then go back to the home screen. Repeat process and note how much memory you've lost.

Repeat process 10 more times and again note how much memory you loose each time; and the total amount of memory you've lost just checking your free memory 10+ times.

12-07-10 03:31 PM
    I've actually found that its also carrier dependent as each has their own taylored version to opperate their specified OS. T-Mo seems to need more than Sprint, haven't experienced any others.

12-09-10 12:40 AM
    Actually here's a fun experiment for anyone using OS 5.

Check your free memory then go back to the home screen. Repeat process and note how much memory you've lost.

Repeat process 10 more times and again note how much memory you loose each time; and the total amount of memory you've lost just checking your free memory 10+ times.

I'm on 5.0.0.979. Just tried this by going to options (O key on home screen), status... noting 84584111 bytes (84.5MB). After the 5th time, it dropped to 84583699 bytes, then the next time went back up to 84586563 bytes.

I don't think it has anything to do with the checking the memory and going back to the home screen. Just various apps running in the background using/releasing memory...
    I have:
    -Facebook (Though it does not show in the app switcher, it's there!)
    -the usual Browser, Home, BBM, Phone, Messages
    -UberTwitter
    -Lookout Mobile Security (And I do recommend this after using it a few days! It's free, in app world.)

During the time I wrote this, I had 3 emails come in, a couple of tweets on UberTwitter, re-tweeted one, and sent a BBM. Just checked and my free memory is now at 84658383 bytes (84.6MB). More than I before I started the experiment and I've done it about 12 to 14 times now. So, my net change would be a gain.
    Last edited by WolfmanRobby; 12-09-10 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Replaced missing decimel point that fell on the floor and rolled under my desk when I was posting the first time.
    12-09-10 07:32 AM
    mine usually sets around 88 to 90 mg free

I noticed visual voice mail is one of the open apps with home, bbs, browser,messages and phone . why is this when I don't use it at all_ just regular voice mail? Thanks!!!
    Last edited by brewersc; 12-09-10 at 11:38 AM.
    12-09-10 11:36 AM
    Currently, I am trying to reduce as many application at the moment. Keeping the memory free at about 75 - 80%.
    12-09-10 12:21 PM
    Currently, I am trying to reduce as many application at the moment. Keeping the memory free at about 75 - 80%.
    What do you mean when you say "memory free"? There are three different places you can find memory information, that I know of, none of which use that terminology. The only one I know that gives percentages is accessed through and specific to your media folder...

Media > Menu > Memory Use

There you have both Media Card and Device Memory readings, mine are as follows...

Media Card: Total Free 80% - 2.9 GB
    Device Memory: Total Free 98% - 31.1 MB

If your Device Memory is low then you either don't have a media card or need to get a bigger one because your pictures/music/videos are taking up all of your space. Simple and cheap fix!

Then there's your standard Options of "Memory" and "Status" (at least on the T-Mo 9700).

The "Memory" is specific to phone designated space for applications, which I believe can be altered through the settings as well. I have gone through and deleted a lot of the native apps, both core and add-on in order to free up mem in this category and currently have 26 third party apps as well as 4 themes installed on my phone, leaving me with the following...

Options > Memory > Application Memory - Free Space: 107.0mb

The "Status" is where you'll find your true "file free" memory, which is typically what people reference when they speak of memory leaks and/or fluctuations. There I'm sitting at...

Options > Status > File Free: 112290430 Bytes

I have no idea if this was at all helpful or I confused you even more, kind of hoping for the former!
    12-09-10 12:38 PM
    I noticed visual voice mail is one of the open apps with home, bbs, browser,messages and phone . why is this when I don't use it at all_ just regular voice mail? Thanks!!!
    It's how the app works. The only way I've been able to get rid of it (Since I use YouMail.com for voicemail) is to strip it out of the OS with Shrink-a-os before I load the phone.

There are other methods, like deleting the COD files either from the java folder on your PC and re-running the os install. Or, deleting them with BBSAK or such from the phone. But, I never had luck with that on my 9000. S0, I just stick with what I know works. Ripping it out of the OS before I even load it.
    12-09-10 01:19 PM
    It's how the app works. The only way I've been able to get rid of it (Since I use YouMail.com for voicemail) is to strip it out of the OS with Shrink-a-os before I load the phone.

There are other methods, like deleting the COD files either from the java folder on your PC and re-running the os install. Or, deleting them with BBSAK or such from the phone. But, I never had luck with that on my 9000. S0, I just stick with what I know works. Ripping it out of the OS before I even load it.
    Thank you! I guess I will leave it alone for now. may try the Shrink-a -OS method later on. It is not effecting my phone preformance right now.
    Thanks again for the help!!!!
    12-09-10 03:10 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD